TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just read an article over at Thumpertalk about nine tools you absolutely must have on your bike anytime you leave the pavement. Specifically, not just "tools that would be nice to have" but rather "tools that you would not leave the pavement without."

I wonder if the author is actually a rider, or just a writer. :p:laughing9: (I crack myself up sometimes!)

Ok, so: tire repair kit, set of T-handle wrenches, impact driver, torque wrench... wait, what?!! This sounds like a list of things it might be nice to have in your truck that you use to haul your offroad bike to the ORV area!

Let me take a quick stab at it:

I agree with the tire repair kit, including a stubby hand pump (they didn't include the hand pump; instead specifying a plug hole chuffer. What, you're gonna remove the plug from a single-cylinder bike and then kick it over repeatedly to air up your tire?).
Combination wrench set (just the sizes you are likely to need).
Vice grips.
Plug wrench and spare plug.
Screwdriver (would you believe they didn't even mention a screwdriver?). I like the orange-handle 4-way screwdrivers, but there are other good choices as well.
Zip ties.
Multi-tool. Leatherman is the most popular; I prefer my Victorinox Swisstool that I have been using for 15+ years.
Chain tool, spare master link, and maybe a short piece of extra chain (they actually did mention this).

That's eight. I considered several things for the 9th tool. Like a hammer, hacksaw blade, hatchet (with hammer back), etc. But I settled on...

Epoxy putty. Preferably the high-heat variety

What say ye?

·
Registered
6,458 Posts
So I just read an article over at Thumpertalk about nine tools you absolutely must have on your bike anytime you leave the pavement. Specifically, not just "tools that would be nice to have" but rather "tools that you would not leave the pavement without."

I wonder if the author is actually a rider, or just a writer. :p:laughing9: (I crack myself up sometimes!)

Ok, so: tire repair kit, set of T-handle wrenches, impact driver, torque wrench... wait, what?!! This sounds like a list of things it might be nice to have in your truck that you use to haul your offroad bike to the ORV area!

Let me take a quick stab at it:

I agree with the tire repair kit, including a stubby hand pump (they didn't include the hand pump; instead specifying a plug hole chuffer. What, you're gonna remove the plug from a single-cylinder bike and then kick it over repeatedly to air up your tire?).
Combination wrench set (just the sizes you are likely to need).
Vice grips.
Plug wrench and spare plug.
Screwdriver (would you believe they didn't even mention a screwdriver?). I like the orange-handle 4-way screwdrivers, but there are other good choices as well.
Zip ties.
Multi-tool. Leatherman is the most popular; I prefer my Victorinox Swisstool that I have been using for 15+ years.
Chain tool, spare master link, and maybe a short piece of extra chain (they actually did mention this).

That's eight. I considered several things for the 9th tool. Like a hammer, hacksaw blade, hatchet (with hammer back), etc. But I settled on...

Epoxy putty. Preferably the high-heat variety

What say ye?
A whistle and a flashlight. I know they are not tools in the same manner as those you listed but they should always be carried when riding off road. I figure I am more likely to be damaged than my bike while riding off road.

Tom

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Read that article this morning and couldn't help but roll my eyes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I bought a Cruz tools metric kit and added some tire spoons, alum motion pro a axle nut spoon combo and some other odds and ends. Saved mine and others ass's trail side a few times with some pretty extensive on trail repairs.

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
Bulldogr6, that looks to be a very unique situation. Am sure many of use would be interested in what the issue/problem ended up being. I'm inclined to think the engine was not held together with phillips screws.

·
Registered
4,177 Posts
Pretty much most of my tools.
That's an interesting assortment of tools and I'm sure a lot of thought and experence went into your kit. Just for fun list all the repairs you think you could perform on the trail with your kit.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
This topic comes up a lot in the DR650 community. The consensus is that anytime you work on your bike, any tool you use, toss in a box. When you're done, make sure you have all of those same tools in your toolkit.

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
From post # 11; " That's an interesting assortment of tools and I'm sure a lot of thought and experence went into your kit. Just for fun list all the repairs you think you could perform on the trail with your kit."

Fair question, but difficult to answer. Though I have the stock JIS screwdriver and a vise grip to hold it firm, doubt I could remove either engine case side cover. With the JB weld putty hidden in one of those tubes, that piece of stainless screen and scissors, my hope is to be able to patch a major case puncture. Have done a rear tire dismount and tube patch with the included tire irons and axle wrench. The vice grips and bailing wire should be able to give me some clutch/throttle control if I happen to break a cable. In the past, my nut/bolt assortment provided our TW group a replacement needed to remount a muffler that fell off. Should I break a chain (not lose master link) my chain tool and extra two link section should get me going again. Wrenches and unseen allen's should leave me set to tighten-up anything working loose. Extra bits of fuel and oil line should be repairable with Leatherman knife blade and section of bailing wire. In all my years of off-roading (motorcycle/baja bug/bicycle) I am at a loss as to recall the need for a trailside repair needed to get my machine operational. Had an incident with the Nor Cal group where my dual/dual sprocket uncoupled. As the cause of the drive train failure was unknown during the first few minutes, I urged the group to continue as I was still within walking distance of my truck and trailer. The fix only required that I loosen the axle nut and run the chain over to the next sprocket set.

·
Registered
6,458 Posts
After reading one of Admirals recent posts about breaking down in the heat I believe that if I lived out west I would carry a 6X8 tarp and some bungee chords for makeshift shade. Could be a lifesaver providing warmth in the evening and shade during the heat of the day. In fact I think I would find one of the high quality heavy duty space blankets that I carried in the Army. That would be perfect!

Tom

·
Registered
6,458 Posts
A tarp/space blanket is included in my 'comfort/survival' gear. Here you can look at what I was carrying at one time. Had to trim this down a lot as the bike was getting very heavy and almost impossible for me to lift without a complete unpack.
Stuff I Carry by Gerry Neville | Photobucket

This is the one we carried and used in the field. This coupled with a poncho and poncho liner would provide warmth down to near freezing without a fire.

Robot Check

Tom

·
Registered
4,177 Posts
From post # 11; " That's an interesting assortment of tools and I'm sure a lot of thought and experence went into your kit. Just for fun list all the repairs you think you could perform on the trail with your kit."

Fair question, but difficult to answer. Though I have the stock JIS screwdriver and a vise grip to hold it firm, doubt I could remove either engine case side cover. With the JB weld putty hidden in one of those tubes, that piece of stainless screen and scissors, my hope is to be able to patch a major case puncture. Have done a rear tire dismount and tube patch with the included tire irons and axle wrench. The vice grips and bailing wire should be able to give me some clutch/throttle control if I happen to break a cable. In the past, my nut/bolt assortment provided our TW group a replacement needed to remount a muffler that fell off. Should I break a chain (not lose master link) my chain tool and extra two link section should get me going again. Wrenches and unseen allen's should leave me set to tighten-up anything working loose. Extra bits of fuel and oil line should be repairable with Leatherman knife blade and section of bailing wire. In all my years of off-roading (motorcycle/baja bug/bicycle) I am at a loss as to recall the need for a trailside repair needed to get my machine operational. Had an incident with the Nor Cal group where my dual/dual sprocket uncoupled. As the cause of the drive train failure was unknown during the first few minutes, I urged the group to continue as I was still within walking distance of my truck and trailer. The fix only required that I loosen the axle nut and run the chain over to the next sprocket set.
I enjoyed your informative answer to my question. I would like to buy a tire iron combo tool that's in your kit. Is that available online?

·
Registered
4,177 Posts
A tarp/space blanket is included in my 'comfort/survival' gear. Here you can look at what I was carrying at one time. Had to trim this down a lot as the bike was getting very heavy and almost impossible for me to lift without a complete unpack.
Stuff I Carry by Gerry Neville | Photobucket
My goodness Gerry I thought I was bad. Lol. I love it. I think you need this it only adds one pound ;) drop cloth an 550 cord

·
Registered
702 Posts
After reading one of Admirals recent posts about breaking down in the heat I believe that if I lived out west I would carry a 6X8 tarp and some bungee chords for makeshift shade. Could be a lifesaver providing warmth in the evening and shade during the heat of the day. In fact I think I would find one of the high quality heavy duty space blankets that I carried in the Army. That would be perfect!

Tom
When I crossed the desert by the back roads in 1986, I carried a tarp and extra water just in case. Never needed them.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts