TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. i bought a project tw for the misses but cannot get the friggen thing running. it had been sitting a year or 2 and had a rusty tank.
i have serviced it checked timing and valve clearance new spark plug,pulled carby apart 5 times. but still wont run. it used to wind over and when it fired it looked as if it tried to turn the engine the wrong way and smoke out the carby??and felt like it was doing the same thing with the kick starter. can any one help?? this thing has got me beat..:mad:

·
Super Moderator
5,316 Posts
An early example of a reverse function on the TW ……… (kidding) …..

Here are the manuals - http://tw200forum.com/forum/technical-write-ups/70-service-repair-manuals.html - worth downloading for reference

Just a “stab in the dark” — but could it be 180 degrees out ? — don’t even know if that’s possible on a TW — but it would explain “confused combustion” …………

Did the previous owner have it apart at any stage ?

Welcome to the mad house — (we’ll help you all we can) …….

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the welcome, i rang the last owner hopeing he could save me some time. the said it was running then went in the shed (2 years ago).. so i dont know. but i have a sore leg from kicking it and think the starter bush must be worn now because it makes bad noises from below when hitting the button now, and it wasent for the last month of trouble shooting..think ive worn it out..

·
Super Moderator
5,316 Posts
"If" it was running the last time he parked it up - the only way it will "fart" from the carb is excess fuel

The carb "might" be letting fuel through without even turning over the engine - we've had that a couple of times on here

Typical symptoms of this are rising oil levels - so check the window in the side of the crankcase - I turn the fuel off when not in use, suggest you start doing the same. With the fuel in the "off" position, try starting it up - it should run on the contents of the float bowl, but check the oil level first

If the tank was rusty, it might be a good call to put an in-line filter between the tank and the carb, or you risk being back at square one

How much did you pay for this thing ? - and how much effort are you prepared to put into it to get it running ?

·
Registered
746 Posts
Could you take a picture of the CDI and post it here? It's under the right side cover.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"If" it was running the last time he parked it up - the only way it will "fart" from the carb is excess fuel

The carb "might" be letting fuel through without even turning over the engine - we've had that a couple of times on here

Typical symptoms of this are rising oil levels - so check the window in the side of the crankcase - I turn the fuel off when not in use, suggest you start doing the same. With the fuel in the "off" position, try starting it up - it should run on the contents of the float bowl, but check the oil level first

If the tank was rusty, it might be a good call to put an in-line filter between the tank and the carb, or you risk being back at square one

How much did you pay for this thing ? - and how much effort are you prepared to put into it to get it running ?
yes starting to think the carb might even be missing a small part or 2. might order a carb kit.Bike has cost me 1000 bucks. dont think i will be putting much more into it.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Ok, I'll be watching for it. Don't give up on it. There are people on this forum who can help you troubleshoot and get it running right.

·
Registered
20,487 Posts
WECSOG, do you want waggy to look at bottom side of CDI for scorch marks, or other signs of overheating/ shorting?

·
Registered
746 Posts
WECSOG, do you want waggy to look at bottom side of CDI for scorch marks, or other signs of overheating/ shorting?
That, and to make sure it hasn't been replaced with a different unit. His problem sounds like timing to me.
Actually, it just occurred to me that he needs to check the timing chain tension, too. If too loose, it could have jumped a tooth. That wouldn't affect ignition timing, but incorrect valve timing could create problems like that too.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
also what i did find was the magnets in the rotor had broken and moved a bit?? would this of caused my poor (advanced) ingition timing???

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
also what i did find was the magnets in the rotor had broken and moved a bit?? would this of caused my poor (advanced) ingition timing???
I would say yes.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Yeah, you need a new flywheel. That is your problem. A new stator too, if it's damaged. You need to figure out what caused that damage and fix it, then replace all the damaged components.
The good news is that your CDI is probably ok.

BTW, the PO is almost certainly lying to you. Since you have the cover off, before you buy any replacement parts you need to ascertain what year that side cover is from. It might not be the original cover, and it might not even be the same as the original cover. As long as it and the pickup coil in it is in good condition, that is not necessarily a bad thing. But the replacement parts have to match whatever cover you have, regardless of the year of the rest of the engine.

Reactions: littletommy

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yes, sounds expensive. Im in australia and there isent to many tw200 at the wreckers over here

1 - 20 of 23 Posts