TW200 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Here's my TW, ain't she a beaut. or brute, your choice. As you may be able to see she's been laid over pretty hard a few times and now that it's my bike, I'm looking to get it runnin and looking right. Here's the list as I see it now:

Bad-

Oil Leaks- seems like from gasket between crank case and head.

Runs Rough- sputters and wheezes- maybe timing chain is a little stretched out or carb is gummed up

Cosmetic Damage- mainly the headlight/speedometer is ripped off, also a small dent on tank and some pieces missing

Transmission- Clutch may be slipping a little bit

Brakes- squishy

Good-

Ride-able and Tons of fun

Rubber is decent

Seat is solid

Barely any Rust!!!

That's the quick rundown of my TW. I am attempting to ride it until winter then fix it up in the snowy months when I will be riding less. The biggest challenges I see coming are finding the right parts within my budget and seeing what the inside of the bike are like (Cylinder condition, transmission condition, etc.) Any Tips or Tricks would be much appreciated

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Gotta love a nice "sweat equity special".

Bestest paint scheme of all the Barbie years, too.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, It's gonna be alot of work, especially for my first bike, but hopefully I won't mess it up too bad. I've seen many paint schemes but I think if I do end up repainting it the teal will have to stay.

·
Registered
58 Posts
My 91 was purple when I bought it. After looking at it for a couple of weeks I decided to go the OD green route. Starting to see more and more OD paint jobs.

If you go shopping for replacement parts be careful of places like EBay. Some of those people think their parts are gold. Often your local dealer will be the best source of parts. I've found that the later model parts are cheaper than the older models even though they interchange.

Looks like there is enough missing that you've got a good start on a hollow mod.

Dan

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I fixed the leak...

Eight Hours and a some blood sweat and tears later, the heart is out of the beast. It didn't fight much and with some help everything came apart well, if only it would go together that easily haha. Surprisingly the sprockets are still in good shape and the frame is virtually rustless. Some worrisome things are that there is a little bit of rust in the gas tank, the spark plug is looser than it should be, a hole in the left crank case is stripped out, and most importantly the oil filter is filled with either some gravel or metal shavings. Never a good sign.

The next step is to clean everything very well, I wish they sold carb cleaner in gallon jugs. Then I'm planning on taking the cylinder open to get a better sign about what I am actually dealing with.

Rich, The round headlight looks great on the bike, and Dan the OD would look mean, and sorry to be a noob, but what is a hollow mod?

Thanks for the guidance,

May the force be with you

CJ

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Check your clutch. I had a motor that had been sitting for quite some time and had "gravel" in it. I gave it to Ronnydog for parts and when he tore it down the "gravel" turned out to be clutch material which had either dissolved or became unbonded from the plates. It then circulated through the motor and clogged the cam oil passages.

I'm guessing here, but the only explanation I've come up with is that the solvent action of the old crank case oil caused the lining material to either break down or become unbonded from the plates and when I ran it for awhile all the gack broke loose.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Wow chief that's brave. Good luck. I may join you in sweat equity. I am looking at buying another more derelict one advertised as a 95. It looks more like your 91 than my 95. The ad says it is an abandoned work in progress. I am going to look at it later in the week and decide. The guy says he has papers.

The whole ad with more images is here:

http://durban.gumtree.co.za/c-Cars-Vehicles-motorcycles-motorbikes-scooters-YAMAHA-TW-200-OFF-ON-ROAD-SCRAMBLER-W0QQAdIdZ316528651

What do you think Dub heads. A 91? Worth an hours drive and a few hundred dollars?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That looks almost identical to my bike, except the decal is a different style. That could very easily just be a manufacturing difference. I think it is definitely worth a few hundred bucks, If it runs ... Or if you live in the Pacific North West because lots of people like these little bikes. I don't know how the bike market is in South Africa though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts