TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

93 TW Starting and Running Issues

2K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Squatch Buster 
#1 ·
Just purchased a 93 TW with 18k miles on it. When I picked it up it had fuel leaking from somewhere but it was running strongly. Next day I started it with electric start and it fired right up. Rode it for about 15 min and then shut it off. Fuel leak had stopped as well. About an hour later went to ride again and it wouldn't start with either electric or kick. I've taken the carb off and cleaned it - it was dirty but not horrible. The bike will start now but only with the kick start and it will only run for about 10 minutes and then quits and it stalls out as soon as I try to shift out of 2nd. I'm running SeaFoam thru it as well and I adjusted valves. I put in new fuel as well. Also once the bike stops running I have to let it sit for awhile to get it to start again. Also it will only start with the kick starter. Electric starter turns it over and battery is new and strong. I'm baffled - especially as to why it won't start with electric starter. Any help would be appreciated - would love to get it running and enjoy it!! Thanks!!

#2 ·
Hello and welcome! I would add some more Seafoam, run the bike for a bit, and let it sit overnight. Repeat this a few times to let the Seafoam do its thing. As for the electric start, did you charge your battery before you put it in the bike? If not, it may need to be fully charged, what you're describing is a classic symptom of an undercharged battery, even new ones.

#3 ·
Dirty plug from running to rich? 18,000 miles? Wow! I bet the carburetor intake boot (carb to head) is old and cracked too.

When it will not start -
1) Pull the plug. Is it wet? If it isn't - why not?
2) Check for spark. If no spark - why not?

If above is okay -
1) Check gas screens in the tank, they could be plugged (18k, you say? Wow!)
2) Find that gas leak. Do not trust that will just go away. A gasoline fire under your ass is no fun.

#4 ·
Do all the above. Also, sometimes TW's just won't start with the electric starter when you hold the button down for a while. Try the briefest touch on the starter button, this seems to help sometimes. Also, welcome to the forum!!! Keep us posted!! :D

#5 ·
Thanks all for the quick replies and also for the welcomes! To respond - I did replace the spark plug - it was very black and heavily fouled. The carb boots are soft and pliable - no cracks and no vacuum leaks that I can find. I did find the source of the gas leak - it was coming from the float bowl gasket which was old and cracked - I replaced it - no more leaks. I added more SeaFoam yesterday and will continue with that process and will also check the battery for charge - I keep it on a trickle charger as well to keep it charged up too. I will also try the light touch on the starter to see if that works and check the plug to see if its wet. I did check it for spark and it did spark.

One more question - I have seen some posts about adjusting a screw 2.5 turns on the carb but I cannot locate that screw - where is it and what is it called? Thanks friends!

#7 ·
The TW has one of the smallest carbs out there — (IMO its weakest point) — it doesn’t take a lot to clog it up, especially if it had sat for a while. If you have taken the carb apart and cleaned it (with some subsequent improvement in performance), the chances are that it will need further work. The fuel leak is a dead give-away as well — you’ll l never get to the bottom of this problem until you are “sure” the carb is sorted out.

Take it off, clean it again, and chuck some “sea foam” in your fuel. That stuff takes time to work, so expect to run at least two full tanks of the stuff through the system. (I’m still running the UK equivalent in my system simply to aid infrequent starting).

Don’t forget that both the petcock screens and the air filter are also part of this system — it’s an inexpensive thing to check, and worth doing — just take the time to do it properly.

The electric start takes most of the “oomph” out of the battery, leaving little for the spark. It may be spending its energy on turning the engine over, with not much left over to get it running (if your carb still needs work).

As has been said above, with a clean carb, all that will change, and she’ll start behaving as you’d expect her to — be patient — it has its rewards.

I used to have an old two-stroke triple — turned over the engine with the electric start first — then “kicked” it into life — same problem — carbs …………..

#8 ·
The electric start takes most of the “oomph” out of the battery, leaving little for the spark. It may be spending its energy on turning the engine over, with not much left over to get it running (if your carb still needs work).
Good response, but this part is not true. The TW has CDI ignition, it will run with out the battery.

Reactions: Purple
#9 ·
I did get improved performance after I cleaned the carb the first time so I guess I will give that another go. Will also keep chucking the SeaFoam to it as well. Still mystified about the electric start not starting it but I guess that could be part of the carb problem. Thanks for all the great info and links - I really appreciate it!

#10 ·
Welcome again,

In addition to all the goog advice above, which is probably more where the issue(s) reside, also check your air cleaner/airflow passageways. Doubt this is a contributing items, but some debris could be entering from here.

Also, may want to change oil if not done already as well as making sure the clutch plates are free. Try pushing or rocking the TW in gear with ignition off. Some TW's will stall the engine if the the plates haven't released all the way, even on the new models.

Just a couple of extra thoughts. Good luck and hope you find the culprit(s)!

#13 ·
Hey Guys - after a very frustrating several days of trying to get this carb to work, which included another complete tear down and cleaning, I have given up and ordered a new OEM carb. I considered a rebuild kit but reading several other posts about continued problems even after the rebuild I decided to go with what appeared to be the safest, while not least expensive route, to get the TW running again. Anyway I'd rather be riding it than working on it!! I will let you all know how the new OEM car works out - hopefully I wont have any issues.

#14 ·
Hey Guys - after a very frustrating several days of trying to get this carb to work, which included another complete tear down and cleaning, I have given up and ordered a new OEM carb. I considered a rebuild kit but reading several other posts about continued problems even after the rebuild I decided to go with what appeared to be the safest, while not least expensive route, to get the TW running again. Anyway I'd rather be riding it than working on it!! I will let you all know how the new OEM car works out - hopefully I wont have any issues.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.