TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gonna be a bit of background here. My 1995 TW200 ran well all spring and summer until the end of June when it started leaking oil. Usually started on the second kick, only one instance where it hesitated. Easy fix, it appeared to be crankcase gasket #3, which was replaced and put back together on the 27th of July. However, after that, the bike refused to start. Jumping it would get a few proper-sounding ignitions over a 10-second period. I'm reasonably certain it's not the pinch-able wires in the crankcase - the spark plug continues to spark when kicked over. I checked the timing at this point too, still good.

I thought there were some ignored carb issues from the previous summer finally coming to bear. However Today I removed and cleaned the carb and it looked impeccable. Bowl was clean, main jet was completely unclogged, idle jet seemed clear. Put it all together, wont even try to start.

May be worth noting the battery is completely shot. It used to display the neutral light but couldn't turn the starter. After kicking it today it won't even do that. Not sure if that's the issue, but getting the correct battery up here is a nuisance. Also, the boot from the airbox to the carb has shrunk and doesn't fully connect. I can still seal it with the clamps, but it's not fully on. Don't think it's a compression issue, but I'm not sure of the tolerances. Likewise, the terminal on the spark plug has bent. As I mentioned it still makes a good spark and connects to the lead.

Any of these causing my issues, I'm out of ideas and hoping for some advice before spending more money.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
It is the battery. Don't beat yourself up about all that wasted time. Put a new battery in it and praise me for all that wisdom... Or cuss me if is am wrong.

No reason to go easy on me. I'm used to the cussing.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
115 Posts
Welp this is slightly embarrassing - putting gas in the tank fixed the issue.

No, it was not bone dry, there was about a liter. However, filling it up appears to have added enough back preassure into the carb. Problem averted. Thanks for the advice you two, a new battery is next on the list.
A LOT of riders have found this out the same way you just did!

No shame here, we can all learn from each other!
Thanks for manning up (sorry ladies) and admitting what it was!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Great news....Happy to hear it was a simple issue. Also hope that you and others here have learned another simple lesson about blaming the battery right off the bat. I have three 1987 TW's...one 1994 TW...and one 2001 TW. The 2001 doesn't have a kicker so it's the only one that I try to keep the battery working well....although I've bump started it many times when it has sat too long. The 1994 had a dead battery in it when I first bought it and the seller said just kick start it and sure enough 2-3 kicks with good gas and it fires right up. I have owned it for seven years and never did put a new battery in it....as it just starts too well just kicking it. I only ride one of the 1987 TW's and it too has never had a good enough battery to even give me a neutral light. (Couple of kicks with gas and choke on....and the kick stand up)....and it starts realiably. Now....when it's dark all of these older models don't provide a bright Head light with dead batteries...the intensity goes up and down with the RPM....But they ALL start and run fine with dead batteries. I will be installing kicker parts in the 2001 soon so I can eliminate the dire need for a battery on that one as well. If I could afford it I admit I'd put fresh Litium Magic batteries in all of them and enjoy the luxury of the Fun/Go Button....but I can't so I'll just continue kicking these dang mules....it's NOT absolutely necessary. I also have three Old Honda Trail 70's and they ALL have dead batteries....but start fine with a little foot threatening.
Love the Sling Blade reference. I admit I've kicked till my leg was about to fall off....only to realize once I put the kick stand up...it fired right off. That's where it's nice enough to have enough battery juice for at least a Neutral light......Dummy. I'm Old and sometimes...I Fergit.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
It is the battery. Don't beat yourself up about all that wasted time. Put a new battery in it and praise me for all that wisdom... Or cuss me if is am wrong. No reason to go easy on me. I'm used to the cussing.
I do not cuss (or curse or swear) so you are spared...for now!
And RodBurg did not buy a battery (yet), so you live to ride another day!

Reactions: Snow Fox
1 - 9 of 9 Posts