TW200 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Was a rather hot day yesterday so Adam and I saddled up and headed out to a favorite single track seeking cooler evening temperatures at higher elevations. Summer riding into the evening hours can be habit forming. We had not been here in a long time and were surprised at significant erosion this spring on twin tracks. Single tracks didn't seem to collect and channel erosive run-off like the roads. Some roads were down-cut several feet since last fall.
720i
Seemingly appropriate music by Third World:
Between periodically stopping to suck down beverages in the shade and navigating some steep boulder strewn sandy hills we barely pumped out 40 miles in 4 hours. Single trackin' was delicious.:)

EDIT: Soundtrack now has IMHO the best dub version of a classic.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
A couple of nights ago here in SoCal, it seriously had to be 90 degrees at midnight. I was trying to sleep and had sweat dripping down my face and stinging my eyes...

·
Registered
19,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
We avoided some of the really nasty steep sandy bouldery sections that a TW can sometimes crawl up since the KLX lacks the traction and grunt. With a bit more break-in and experience on the new bike Adam might be able to fly up using speed, momentum and long travel suspension. I vote for a larger rear sprocket too. We'll have to go back budgeting more time since the formerly fifth gear cruise to access the far side of the mountain is now a second gear technical rut-fest. Those who have survived Group Rides out of my place will recognize the singletrack from our Sunday Bonus Rides.

This log was something we had to cross since retreating would have entailed a sandy boulder strewn hillclimb that is marginal even for an ATV tired TW. Would have been too much for the KLX in break-in mode.

·
Registered
13,420 Posts
It must have been hot. I see adam isn't wearing leg protection unless those are some cool bare leg looking riding pants. I didn't think I would be one to worry about another riders protection but riding single track, now he has me concerned. I'm not an ATGATT purest by any stretch but I feel neked without foot and shin protection on the trails.

I did a "little log hop" in the Black Hills on Wilbrr and didn't even think to "ramp it". Installing a log ramp makes riding over them look easy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts