TW200 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had the opportunity to get some riding in recently in Central Utah at the “Wedge Overlook Recreational Area” Utah’s little Grand Canyon.
Left the truck at the highway and proceeded on TW from there....

Well maintained dirt road as this is a “haul” road for mining rigs. Down this steep little cut road and the riding is getting good.

Spotted this wash off the left side and had to check it out. Very sandy made for some hard effort first thing!

To be continued.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Tons of riding in this area both on and off road.

After playing in several washes, I finally made it to the canyon.
As is so often the case, pictures just don’t do our great outdoors justice.

Jumped on a trail that skirted the rim of the canyon for a few miles, and settled on this spot for a quick lunch break. The river had to be 800 or so feet below!

The riding varies from sandy washes to smooth dirt roads to chunky rocky stuff like this.

I headed for “Buckhorn Wash”.

I had to try another wash but it came to an end pretty quickly.

Made it to Buckhorn Wash and as many times as I have seen these pictographs I am always amazed at their beauty and the hardiness of the people who lived here once upon a time.

Took my time and cruised back to the truck. 95 miles in total and some well spent time in the desert!

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Canyon is beautiful.
Pictograph is eerie. Who made that?

·
Registered
745 Posts
Utah is really amazing. I need a 2nd home there. Ride from house and explore. Somewhere in the middle of it all, yet the middle of nowhere. Off the grid. TW camp for all. I can dream.

·
Registered
19,604 Posts
Good riding out there!
The pictographs painted on Buckhorn Wash's famous 100 plus foot long archaic art panel have been attributed to the Barrier Canyon People. buckhorn5.jpg

Tucked away elsewhere on the canyon walls are many petroglyphs "carved","scratched", or "pounded" by the Fremont People centuries apart from the Barrier People. They are a little harder to find like this square bighorn. buckhorn4.jpg
The Fremont did a variety of anthromorphic and tally like carvings all subject to specultive interprettions. buckhorn3.jpg ..

buckhorn2.jpg ..

buckhorn1.jpg

There is also really nice dispersed camping with-in the canyon as well as a large BLM campground at mouth of Buckhorn Canyon where it dumps into the San Rafael River.
Further down the Buckhorn Draw Road ( same route we took on last years Group Ride from Temple Mountain ) is the Sink Hole where turning east one can connect to the Black Dragon Wash with it's dramatic Barrier Canyon pictographs.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice report Wingnut.
Mind if I post a video of Canyon and Wedge riding conditions?

Great video! I especially like the road conditions after that grader went by!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts