TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Admiral, Mistervelocity, and I went for a cool ride along the Owyhee Front today. A bit chilly at the start with some fog. Skies cleared as we rode to higher ground. Ended up being a wonderful ride that came to about 65 miles. Admiral also was tempted to do another base jump. Most of the route was new to us. You guys missed another great ride !!!
Sky Water Plant Fog Tower
Sky Tire Wheel Vehicle Plant community
Mountain Sky People in nature Highland Slope
Sky Mountain Slope Natural landscape Bedrock
Sky Plant Nature Wood Natural landscape
Sky Plant community Cloud Mountain Plant
Tire Sky Wheel Mountain Plant
jump.

·
Registered
643 Posts
It was a chilly start. I rode from my house and it was socked in. By the time I got to the meeting spot the fog had iced up my goggles and jacket. This is a bit outside my comfort window.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

Outerwear Workwear Sleeve Grey High-visibility clothing

Cloud Sky Ecoregion World Slope

Luckily we didn't need to ride far to get above the fog. Once we got into the sun, things got waaay more comfy.
Sky Tire Cloud Wheel Helmet

Sky Tire Wheel Mountain Vehicle

Elevation wise, I don't think we got much higher than about 4500' but the low fog and cool temps kind of made it feel higher to me. Another almost perfect day on the books.

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
Admiral, Mistervelocity, and I went for a cool ride along the Owyhee Front today. A bit chilly at the start with some fog. Skies cleared as we rode to higher ground. Ended up being a wonderful ride that came to about 65 miles. Admiral also was tempted to do another base jump. Most of the route was new to us. You guys missed another great ride !!!
View attachment 220196 View attachment 220197 View attachment 220198 View attachment 220200 View attachment 220201 View attachment 220202 View attachment 220203 jump.
I like the pic where it looks like you are going to base jump.
Nice pics.

·
Super Moderator
15,005 Posts
It was a chilly start. I rode from my house and it was socked in. By the time I got to the meeting spot the fog had iced up my goggles and jacket. This is a bit outside my comfort window. View attachment 220204

View attachment 220205

View attachment 220206

Luckily we didn't need to ride far to get above the fog. Once we got into the sun, things got waaay more comfy.
View attachment 220207

View attachment 220208

Elevation wise, I don't think we got much higher than about 4500' but the low fog and cool temps kind of made it feel higher to me. Another almost perfect day on the books.
My pickup anti-"thermo" meter only ready 36 when we left so I know your ride was still chilly on the way home. I thought it was getting cooler as we were heading down the hill back to the trucks. At least you didn't ice back up on your return. Good times!

·
Super Moderator
15,005 Posts
View attachment 220196 View attachment 220197 View attachment 220198 View attachment 220200 View attachment 220201 View attachment 220202 View attachment 220203 jump.
I'm glad we rose above the fogbank and it got warmer. The ride would have been miserable had it stayed foggy like your first picture. Yikes!

·
Super Moderator
15,005 Posts
...and today it's snowing. At least it is here in Frosty Hollow.

But yesterday turned out fantastic once we climbed above the fog deck.
Cloud Sky Mountain Highland Natural landscape

Rode lots of previously unexplored to me (us) areas.
Tire Land vehicle Sky Wheel Vehicle

Riding through partially frozen creek crossings.
Plant Tire Wheel Helmet Automotive tire

Mrs. Ed Holmes is buried in this pioneer gravesite. She was killed by an Indian attack in 1889. They operated the Rockville Stage Stop which is located a short distance away. There is also a modern-day grave which I'll assume for the sake of assuming that this lady was a descendant of Mrs. Holmes. But I have no proof of that.
Sky Plant community Plant Bedrock Landscape

This is what the old stage stop looked like. It was burned down in the 1960s by vandals. Apparently, the rocks of the building also burned as only the foundation remains with scant evidence of other stones.
Building History Handwriting Paper product Rectangle

This actual grave for this marker is nearby. From the looks of it, it's 1/4 mile east of this location. I've read before but couldn't find it that a horse thief/criminal was killed by a posse after being chased around for a while. It would have been neat to find the story again to add to our ride tale. Someday, I'll come back and hike out to the actual grave site...or attempt to find the gravesite.
Sky Bedrock Wood Wall Natural landscape

The gravesite is out thataway somewhere.
Plant Sky Cloud Mountain Natural landscape

Yesterday was a good day to ride. Today not so much with the snow.
Sky Mountain Bedrock Highland Formation

Like MrV mentioned on our ride, I'm getting to be more of a fair-weather rider.
Plant Sky Mountain Cloud Natural landscape

·
Registered
643 Posts
Forecast when I got up showed snow showers this morning. Nothing yet. Still plenty of fog and frost though.

Reactions: Ken and littletommy

·
Super Moderator
15,005 Posts
Weather looks good for another ride next monday or tuesday.
Today, not so much. :) Forcast looks pleasant enough so it looks like we could squeeze in a ride one of those 2 days. Maybe we can ride where I rode with son #1 Thebeedriver on the desert singletracks and sand washes. Just a thought.
Snow Building Automotive tire Door Freezing

Reactions: ejfranz and Ken

·
Registered
22,193 Posts
Kris, that looks like a perfect amount of snow to sneak out for a frosty Frosty Hollow ride. Ride for long enough and you can tell us if the JNS headlight has enough waste heat to melt the snow build-up on lens, a common enough LED shortcoming.

·
Super Moderator
15,005 Posts
Kris, that looks like a perfect amount of snow to sneak out for a frosty Frosty Hollow ride. Ride for long enough and you can tell us if the JNS headlight has enough waste heat to melt the snow build-up on lens, a common enough LED shortcoming.
Despite what I say, I'm sure I'll try a couple of "snow runs" before it gets too deep. I have a snowmobile given to me with issues I'm gonna try to fix and if I can that will be my winter riding fix.
Unfortunately, I was not impressed with the 1st gen JNS. Lori has it on her TW but I put mine on the XT200 for "emergency lighting" should I get caught after dark on the trail. The XT200 (squirrel) is now my primary singletrack with Scoob as the backup. Anyway, I have one of those bright H4 bulbs in Scoob now. I think it's the one very similar to the one you have in Betty. JNS light wasn't bright enough for me nor did I like the spread. I'm hesitant to buy one of the DOT JNS lights because of the costs and unknowns if I'd like it. On the other hand, very rarely do we ride at night anymore but I also carry a headlamp just in case.

Reactions: ejfranz

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Kris, I guess we could go down to the missle road area and ride the sand. The sweather looks doable so far. Are the Danskins too wet or too cold? Late deer bow hunting starts in the danskins dec 1.
Are you planning on camping down there the night before?
Want to put out another general invite?

·
Registered
643 Posts
I've gotta sit this one out. I'll be working in Missoula.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
The stars have finally aligned and I am good to go for riding next Tuesday if that is what you guys decide. The weather looks nearly identical Monday and Tuesday, but maybe just a little warmer initially Tuesday early am.

I will probably get off work a little early on Monday and drive over that night to save time Tuesday morning.

I will send pms.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts