TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally fabbed a shifter mod prototype id been wanting to do. It allows you to keep your feet above the shifter and still be able to upshot which keeps your foot safe from snagging on tree roots or whatever. I did this as ive almost broken my foot several times when it was below the shifter. Just a prototype. Change a few things and clean it up a bit.

Sent from my LML211BL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
595 Posts
Great idea! Please keep us updated on the final product.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
That also eliminates the problem when adding wider footpegs, of causing some Bigfoot folks to have trouble getting their boot under the now closer shifter.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Looks useful, but I'm concerned it is going to get snagged on a rock or bushes, Potentially bend onto your foot = Maybe if it had a spring swivel like many shifter pegs do to swing back out of way when needed?
Cool idea!

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would also be concerned with it breaking engine cover if bike falls on it.
right. my plan is to cut off most of the width of it so its less likely to snag or damage the engine cover. but even so either of those things is better than a broken foot!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Yes, but simple drop if cover punctured will leave you stranded. Like if it drops on slow speed maneuvering on trail. The Suzuki bikes have this problem from shifter and after market makes protective covers to RTV onto side of engine to keep it from gettings holes punched. I would add some sort of cover protection. Wouldn't be a whole lot of fun pushing bike back to civilization. You could lose all your oil from simple hole [they only hold a quart].

https://www.webbikeworld.com/suzuki-dr650-engine-case-guards-review/

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I agree...any sort of shifter extension should be paired with some kind of case armor.
You seem quite resourceful...you could probably make something yourself.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I'd worry about getting my foot trapped in an accident.

I snagged my toes bad once and quickly after adapted to a stance with the balls of my feet on the pegs. It not only made for safer riding but more control over the pegs and how I weight the suspension when standing which I do a lot. Shifting up gears over anything that could snag your foot seems unlikely to me. If I were to shift over an obstacle it would be downwards and that can risk your lever. Just avoid shifting over questionable roots/rocks.

An other solution is moving the lever to higher angle spline on the shaft if you're comfortable switching gears at a higher angle. I wish I could but my ankle doesn't want to lift any higher. Especially when sitting.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Shifting up gears over anything that could snag your foot seems unlikely to me. Just avoid shifting over questionable roots/rocks.
There are people that ride fast over open terrain that is rutted and full of bumps. I have done this on rare occasions. (found out that hitting bumps in quick succession at speed can break the Cyclerack Pannier plastic connector strap clips when 1 gal roto-paxes are mounted on them - which allows them to rotate upward on the next bounce - which is how you remove them from the Cyclerack). So if you are flying along in 2nd gear bouncing over bumps and ruts, and want to go faster - to shift to 3rd you have to put your foot under the shifter, and it may be under there when our wimpy suspension completely compresses with your foot hitting a rock or root etc. Tiny-Wheel and you both have said you have hit and hurt your feet in that position. It even caused/taught you to change your feet position when riding. So it seems less "unlikely" than you say. Just depends on the riding style and terrain. For most of us T-dubbers, we are not going to have that problem unless we leave our toes pointed down; since we tend to be slower paced.

But if you watch Tiny-Wheel-200's videos; you will see that he is often riding in muck and water well above his ankles where he may not know that there is a root sticking up or a large rock on the bed of the stream he is traversing. So if he wants to shift up to 2nd or 3rd; he may not be able to see the object lurking below, waiting to do him harm. Thus his riding style and location (a lot of underwater) probably make him the rarity amongst us that it would benefit the most.

·
Registered
20,483 Posts
I think it is a good basic idea that fosters an improved posture. For safety considerations I would render it out of something more flexible than my ankle...just stiff enough to create the upshifts but deformable enough to deflect out of way with a bit more force. Something based on an assembly from a pair of Marlex flex risesr with 1/2" NPT threaded elbows comes to mind.:rolleyes:

Elbow assembly: half-inch-triple-riser.jpg
Flex riser: orbit-irrigation-repair-accessories-37069d-64_1000.jpg

·
Registered
123 Posts
I admire your ingenuity. Just seems possibly dangerous?. All you have to do is fall off on the left and it will spear your ankle or shin. As an alternative you might benefit from a longer lever that gives your foot more room. Some boots that have a more compact toe box help as well. Otherwise adjust the lever higher.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
I like the idea. I think it's great. I think the simplest solution would be to just add a regular folding shift lever tip on your upward flat shift plate. Two foldable shift levers would move if the bike fell over. You may have to design your own. Good luck.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So while the foot injury from shifter idea is legitimate (and my first drft of this is primitive) my response is that the upper shift lever cant do anything to you that the lower one cant. its just 2.5 inches higher. And for whatever a spearing injury can do to you its ten percent of what a stump can destroy the whole structure of your foot. Its fundamentally designed to save my feet from the riding that is peculiar to my geography and it does that as is though i do plan to refine it. I do plan to make it less obtrusive and less likely to be a problem. really appreciate the input from you all. I only have one brain and one set of eyes and its really helpful to have other people see and review it! Version 2.0 coming this week.

·
Registered
595 Posts
It almost makes you want to go into the transmission and reverse the shift pattern. 1 up and 4 down.

You have a great idea here. I keep checking this thread for updates.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
It's good that you're reaching out for feedback and considering the factors. It still seems to me like trading one trapped foot situation for another. If you fall back off the bike you run a greater risk of getting your foot pinned between the lever set up and the foot pegs and getting pulled behind the moving bike by a dislocated ankle. The stock shifter is a greater momentary risk, while this mod is a continuous lesser risk.

·
Registered
20,483 Posts
I still applaud the creativity and willingness to expand the possibilities of a better bike. I say run with the evolving idea, after all the big wheel conversion has worked out very well for Alaska. Optimistically awaiting version 2.0

Another advantage is his growing daughter will be able to reach the modified shifter perhaps a few years earlier.;) . "Daddy, can't we upshift now? Let me do it!"

Reactions: Ken

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
This ideas was produced years ago, advertised in the back of magazines. There may already be a patent. Be careful of infringing if this is a commercial endeavor. Inventing is the american way, unfortunately lawsuits stifle just about everything these days. My luck has been either someone already had the idea or someone got hurt and sued the product out of existence.

As for me i'm in single track all the time, very tight and loaded with roots, worst part is we ride fire cuts, the ones cut with plows so your feet are alway in danger down in the 2 foot wide 1 foot plus deep trench.

I wouldn't use anything that could trap my foot or tear the shift shaft out but I would like an easy affordable solution if there was one (I have 14W Boots.. so I get the issue..).

Currently we raise our shifter way up, to the point of almost having to lift your foot to shift. If you ride the balls of your foot (as all good enduro riders should) you have to move your foot around anyway and quickly get used to it.

If your bike has enough torque and a Recluse you really don't need to shift that often and ultimately that's the best solution (do everything in third gear). Luckily I can do that on the 300i but switching to my other bikes always reminds me.. WATCH THAT FOOT!

As far as the design.. I'm thinking a short stub may be enough, cutting that down may be a good workable solution. Nice job, love your videos~!

Reactions: Ken and TW-Brian
1 - 20 of 27 Posts