TW200 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Feeling a bit nostalgic here since I have the itch for a TW after spending some time on here... the pic below is of my very first bike, a 1973 Yamaha 80 enduro.... can't believe the story I'm about to share is 39 years ago.

It was the eve of my 15th birthday, I had been working 7 days a week cleaning pools (common in south Florida) after school and on the weekend with "Toby the pool man" to save for this bike I dreamed about owning for years.

It was 8:00 pm and the house seemed empty and quiet except for the TV in my parents bedroom I heard playing " Boy the way Glen Miller played, songs that made the hit parade....yes it was the tv show, "All in the family playing"........ my two sisters, mom and dad were sitting on the bed watching the TV as I ran in and belly flopped on the bed, my mother sneezed and asked me to get her a tissue, I went into her bathroom flipped on the light and there sat the Yamaha 80, they said there was dead silence and asked if I was ok..... only you guys here reading this can imagine the joy I felt! Needless to say that was one of the greatest memories.

I was up at 2:00am in the garage with turtle wax waxing that already shiny yellow tank, oh the smell of that gas and oil mmm, I just couldn't wait till morning to take it out..... my Yamaha 80.jpg

·
Registered
13,790 Posts
What a great surprise, and the way it was setup. Neat!

I no longer turtle wax the TW. Hurts my back to bend over, plus I go to bed at 8:30 now. No way I could be up at 2:00 a.m. anymore:p

I wanted those in the worst way. Wasn't aware my parents were poor at the time. Ended up with a ridged frame mini bike with a 5hp Montgomery Ward motor. I was still happy with that...until it got stolen...and then got it back.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Admiral, It seems to me that when we were kids, anything that had a motor on it was "good to go". I remember getting stopped by a Highway Patrolman when I was 12 riding a Cushman scooter on a state highway. I got chewed out, and sent home. Was still a great ride.
Mel

·
Registered
765 Posts
That is a great story! Thanks for sharing :)

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Cool story and yellow bike! My first brand new motorcycle was a '73 too, I was 16 and worked my tail off all summer for a red SL175 Honda.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Great first bike story. Here's mine.
I was around 13 and it was close to Christmas. My Dad asked me what I would like for Christmas that year. A fellow in the neighbourhood had a sixty something Honda 90 for sale for $60 dollars(a lot of money for my Dad back then). I knew it was a long shot but asked for the bike anyway. I remember him telling me not to get my hopes up as money was tight. Well Christmas morning there it was out in the back yard covered in a good 8'' of freshly fallen snow. I remember riding it all over the yard through the snow. It wasn't new and it wasn't a trail bike but it worked great and it was suprising where it took me off road.
That old Honda 90 and my Dad taught me how to turn a wrench and started a passion for riding and working on motorcycles that just seems to increase as I age.:D

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great first bike story. Here's mine.
I was around 13 and it was close to Christmas. My Dad asked me what I would like for Christmas that year. A fellow in the neighbourhood had a sixty something Honda 90 for sale for $60 dollars(a lot of money for my Dad back then). I knew it was a long shot but asked for the bike anyway. I remember him telling me not to get my hopes up as money was tight. Well Christmas morning there it was out in the back yard covered in a good 8'' of freshly fallen snow. I remember riding it all over the yard through the snow. It wasn't new and it wasn't a trail bike but it worked great and it was suprising where it took me off road.
That old Honda 90 and my Dad taught me how to turn a wrench and started a passion for riding and working on motorcycles that just seems to increase as I age.:D

Thanks for that one Dubster, love your story, that choked me all up.......:tearyeyed:

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Well I was 15 and lived in the country.... One day my dad called me out side to see something new, well for him that means a new car... "NOT" this time.. It was a brand new 1966 100cc twin jet yamaha motorcycle. All mine. (o; I was limited to riding between a lake half a mile away and home that was it.. That summer I ended up putting 3,000 miles on that great little bike...... OMM.

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
My first real motorcycle was a yellow 1972 SL-70 Honda. One of the first things my Dad said to me was. " Son if I see you not taking care of that bike. It will be in the front yard with a for sale sign on it so fast it will make your head spin." Needless to say I soon learned how to change the oil,clean the airfilter and how to lube and adjust the chain. My Dad was also a pilot and beat into my head the importance of a pre-flight before every ride. " THANK'S DAD!!" :angel8:

·
Registered
583 Posts
Thanks for that one Dubster, love your story, that choked me all up.......:tearyeyed:
I got a little melancholic myself while writing that post twlover. But trust me my father had his fair share of fun on that Honda 90 himself.;)
A couple years later he got us a Honda CB160 when I was 15. I used to ride that thing all over the place....no license,no registration,no helmet (wasn't required then) and no sense. LOL That lasted until the cops stopped me one day and threw the book at me.:icon_pale::icon_pale: Lucky for me my dad grew up with the then Police Chief and he took care of the tickets. That pretty much ended my freedom until I turned 16 and got my license.:rolleyes:
I have carried on the tradition and got my son a Z50 when he was 5. We had a ton of fun on that little machine but unfortunately sold it. We just last year replaced it with another Z50 for his son/my grand-son and restored it to like new. My son -in law (also a motorcyclist) also has one for my 6 year old grand-daughter.I can't wait until the grand-kids are old enough to ride the T-Dubs. Motorcycling is definately a family affair with us.:D

Thanks for starting this thread.....it's a good one for sure.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
None of us had much sense back then, but lets face it, it was not needed as much as it is today....I took that little Yamaha 80 in 1975 from Hollywood florida to Miami beach on I-95 approximately 25 miles, back then there were very little cars down there on I-95 I don't remember more than a dozen....Today, I would not even attempt that same ride on my 2009 Harley Fat Bob CVO, SE with its 1803 cc engine!

Its not just the bikes and what they were, or the music what it was, or the undeveloped land and roadways, it was a time that only those of us that were lucky enough to live in those times can hold onto and cherish and know that we had it better than generations that followed....

Reactions: Mel

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Inspired now to write about my second bike.....I sold the Yamaha 80 to a friend as I was then 16 and wanted a bigger bike. I opened my first savings account as well as emptying out my batman plastic 3 foot tall bank and made my first deposit.

One day my dad came home from work and tossed an owners manual at me from across the room and said, "you want that?", I opened it up and there was a black and white pic of a 1975 Kawasaki 175 enduro, I replied (with my heart pounding, shaky voice), yeah when? He said tomorrow, man was that a long 24 hours, turned out he had to work too late, this went on for about a week and then one day he took me to a friend of his house who was selling it, and there it was in the guys garage, brand new with the dealers key in the ignition and that plastic laminated yellow tag on the key ring with the year make and model number, I was in Awe!

Three months later I found out my dad had gone bankrupt, we moved from our house with a garage to an apartment building with no garage so I chained the bike to a chain link fence in the parking lot and covered it nightly.

One morning I got up and the bike was gone, just the cut chain and cover on the ground. Devastation is the only word I can use, I've overcome far worse things in my life than the way that still bugs me to this very day! I've yearned for an Enduro ever since and at 53 decided 38 years is long enough to wait. As soon as I save up enough or seek some financing I will own a TW......P.S. I still have the key to the bike on the yellow dealers key tag from 1975....
Kawasaki_F9_1972.jpg

i

·
Registered
287 Posts
Great stories here! I think about my old man a lot as I've gotten older. I remember towing him back to my truck with my Hodaka Ace 100 because his Yamaha 125 two stroke had fouled a plug!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts