TW200 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a friend over this week, so we went for a meander across the Island - him on the TW225, while I kept to the TW200 this time

We covered 70 miles in 5 hours, on a nice sunny day, as we explored the various beaches, a café, and a pub — but I’ll let the pictures tell the tale …..

pic one.jpg

First stop, Church Bay, and yes, that is my “happy face”

pic two.jpg .. - .. pic three.jpg .. - .. pic four.jpg

View from an old stone bridge

pic six.jpg - pic seven.jpg

“Riding motorcycles on any of Anglesey’s beaches is strictly forbidden” — (it sez ‘ere)

pic eight.jpg

Interesting bit of “track”. What you can’t see (and nor could we), is the two ruts down either side, a foot lower than the center. This meant that when the bike gets “grabbed” by the undergrowth and pulled off course, you had no idea of where your foot was actually going to find the ground — or indeed “if”. We baled out after 200 yards and turned back. The undergrowth alone would have stopped a Land Rover, and no-one needs a broken ankle in that lot

pic five.jpg

So we retired to a pub “with a view”

I often think that with a length of rope, a support jeep, a couple of machetes and chopper cover, you can go almost anywhere on the Island

Ah well — there’s always another day …..

·
Registered
363 Posts
"Island"
I give up, WHAT island, where?
Scott

·
Super Moderator
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Super Moderator
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Approximately 35 miles by 20, don’t let the “gentle rolling scenery” fool you. Many of the beaches have quicksand that can get you well and truly stuck if you’re not careful, and a welcoming incoming tide that will finish the job off (even if you’re not stuck) – it keeps the lifeboats busy

Inland, many of the roads are single track, grass growing down the middle – and as long as you can accept that, and the “pace of life” here, you’ll be fine. That “pace” means that you know you will be sharing that single track road with a variety of tractors and transit vans, and randomly barrelling around blind bends is going to get you a face full real quick

Add stray sheep and cattle into the mix, and you soon learn that it’s not about speed on Anglesey. Then, just for added interest, we have “the tourists”. They come from miles around to enjoy our “uncluttered roads”, towing caravans, or overtaking on blind bends – you can imagine the chaos during public holidays (when we tend to stay in)

I was born and bred in London, so I understand “chaos”, and the reasons for it. In London, it’s overcrowding, and Calcutta driving tests. On Anglesey, it’s all about understanding the Island. When you live here, it becomes second nature, when you’re just visiting, walking a half mile out to sea when the tide is out is cool – until the tide comes back in, and you find yourself still a quarter mile out

There was an incident recently of someone taking a horse onto the beach. Once the horse was up to its chest in quicksand, the lifeboat was called out. The horse thought “bugger this” and managed to haul itself out. But the lesson here is “don’t be complacent”

The Island is idyllic, but even so, you need to be aware of the dangers, and respect them. This is why we don’t go riding across the beach for miles, because while you’re likely to get picked up by the lifeboat, they’re not so hot on “vehicle recovery” (unless it floats)

On the sand dunes, and that bit of “rough” we encountered, there also a risk of snakes (Adders/Vipers) at this time of the year. Sure, they’re not rattlers, but if one of those sinks its fangs into the back of your leg, it’s not my idea of “fun”

At the end of the day, it’s a nice place to live, drive and ride- but disrespect it at your peril ……

·
Super Moderator
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Where's your sense of adventure - lol

Angelsey is "my jungle", just as Moab is to others - just a bit "different" is all .....

·
Registered
363 Posts
Where's your sense of adventure - lol

Angelsey is "my jungle", just as Moab is to others - just a bit "different" is all .....
I surely thank you for taking the time to orient all of us about the wonders, terrain and characteristics of your "island". It does sound quite inviting. We often get caught up in the hustle/bustle of life in our crowded life styles and surroundings. But, that place seems, by your description, something that's at a much slower pace and a very reduced chaotic existence. NICE!
Scott

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Had a friend over this week, so we went for a meander across the Island - him on the TW225, while I kept to the TW200 this time

We covered 70 miles in 5 hours, on a nice sunny day, as we explored the various beaches, a café, and a pub — but I’ll let the pictures tell the tale …..

View attachment 195382

First stop, Church Bay, and yes, that is my “happy face”

View attachment 195384 .. - .. View attachment 195386 .. - .. View attachment 195388

View from an old stone bridge

View attachment 195390 - View attachment 195392

“Riding motorcycles on any of Anglesey’s beaches is strictly forbidden” — (it sez ‘ere)

View attachment 195394

Interesting bit of “track”. What you can’t see (and nor could we), is the two ruts down either side, a foot lower than the center. This meant that when the bike gets “grabbed” by the undergrowth and pulled off course, you had no idea of where your foot was actually going to find the ground — or indeed “if”. We baled out after 200 yards and turned back. The undergrowth alone would have stopped a Land Rover, and no-one needs a broken ankle in that lot

View attachment 195396

So we retired to a pub “with a view”

I often think that with a length of rope, a support jeep, a couple of machetes and chopper cover, you can go almost anywhere on the Island

Ah well — there’s always another day …..
Thanks for sharing. It sounds like a great ride. Why a support jeep? Be the first to put on a front cycle rack with a wench on it and pull yourself out. Keep up the great adventures.

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
Thanks for sharing. It sounds like a great ride. Why a support jeep? Be the first to put on a front cycle rack with a wench on it and pull yourself out. Keep up the great adventures.
Boy, I would love to have a wench on my front rack!! She would have to weigh less than 10 kg though.....Tiny Dancer, hold me closer...:love_heart:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts