TW200 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rode in the forest aagin today and again, I fell. Three times.

Nothing bent and I didn't get hurt.

The trails were very sandy and I was going fairly slow. I'm still running the stock front tire (yeah, I know, a Shinko 241 is on the way) and was convinced to order the Shinko after reading thread after thread about how squirly the stock front tire is.

But not why.

I would think a knobby tire like this one would not slip any more than any other knobby tire.

Can anyone explain why this one is so bad?

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I too have a shinko 241, but in the meantime lower your tire pressure and move your weight forward on the bike. Either standing on the pegs over the bars or forward on the seat. The added weight increases friction and reduces your chances of front tire wash out.

Also slowing down or speeding up too much on sand will reduce traction. Maintaining momentum will retain the best traction.

·
Registered
4 Posts

The trails were very sandy and I was going fairly slow. I'm still running the stock front tire (yeah, I know, a Shinko 241 is on the way) and was convinced to order the Shinko after reading thread after thread about how squirly the stock front tire is.

But not why.

I would think a knobby tire like this one would not slip any more than any other knobby tire.

Mostly it is us the rider

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
333 Posts
Knobby placement and depth, plus the fact that the tire technology is 30 years old. There are just simply better tires out there today. The 241 is an excellent choice.
30 year old tire technology? The Shinko 241 looks like the trials tires that came on my 1972 DT-1!

·
Registered
836 Posts
I think it is quite a hard rubber and shallow diagonal knobs all in a straight row (stock) vs. softer rubber with deeper square knobs that are more alternate and pliable. All I know is that I "dab" and "crab" way less with the 241 :)
I found the stock tire great on pavement and hard pack - but gravel, sand, wet, grass etc...have your dabin'/crabbin' game ready!

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I have run the 203/204 street tires for years off road with no problems then bought a newer TW and took it out with the stock tires and hit the ground 3 times in one day. That stock front tire is ok for the street but just nasty off road for some reason.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Put your weight on the rear of the seat. You have to allow the front to float and move around on sand. Your not going to force it to go where you want in deep sand. More of going in a general direction then an exact line. Slowing down on sand transfers the weight on the front tire and your done. Keep on the throttle in a lower gear and duck walk it along if necessary. NEVER cross the bars up to full lock.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Put your weight on the rear of the seat. You have to allow the front to float and move around on sand. Your not going to force it to go where you want in deep sand. More of going in a general direction then an exact line. Slowing down on sand transfers the weight on the front tire and your done. Keep on the throttle in a lower gear and duck walk it along if necessary. NEVER cross the bars up to full lock.
Tjmay is referring to forest trail sand not deep beach/desert sand. In shallow sandy patches outside of beach/desert weighting the back of the bike reduces front traction and front tire washes out on turns. Running in low RPMs in high gear reduces drag/torque that might otherwise gear brake or break traction and can sometimes require feathering the clutch. Either way avoid your front brake in both conditions.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Hard to know exactly what to do!

Ordering a Shinko 241 kinda seems what to do....
If you can't determine the more suitable advise try both for yourself in small doses....My experience is mostly based on riding forestry roads with sandy patches in the valleys.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I would take chips advice. I ride my bike in Ocala national Forest once in awhile and I try to avoid the deep sand not real fun. People that ride in the deep stuff have higher horsepower and higher revving bikes and they keep their weight in the back and point it where they want to go and let it rip. Just my observation I am not a professional rider.

·
Registered
88 Posts
The best advice has been airing down for sand, nothing is more effective (or as cheap).
Without starting a atgatt or safe tire pressure discussion, I run single digits and have for years.
With very low pressure I get lots of float and it lowers the gearing, both good things for slow going. Yes it is dangerous stupid but I have yet to roll a bead or rim pinch a tube.
The stock front tire is really lacking, but learning to coax the most outta the TW is a big part of its appeal.

·
Registered
68 Posts

But not why.

The Stocked is too wide with fat short knobs and won't / can't bite enough to keep you upright. Slides before it bites. The Golden Boy works because it is a sharper knife.

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,046 Posts
Hard to know exactly what to do!

Ordering a Shinko 241 kinda seems what to do....
Do both! :D

On strait aways, slide back on the seat and goose the throttle (especially in sand). When approaching a turn just before the apex where your starting to enter the turn slide forward, complete the turn (using appropriate speed for conditions) then slide back and goose it on exiting the turn. Works good in the movies ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts