TW200 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ive spent decades in the Pine barrens and not once till today on a TW200,
The bike has new OEM tires and the trails at times were very soft and deep sand and while the Trail Wing gets bad reviews, I will say that sitting forward near the tank the bike was quite stable, Ill be putting the Shinko 241 on soon and will have a very good comparison,
As soon as I was pulling into the lot of the main building I spied a park ranger, "Mike" and I asked him what was going on and had a nice pleasant conversation with him, They basically want powered vehicles out of the flooded areas, Which if you know the Pine Barrens, They change as the decades roll past.
There are tons of trails to travel and I went down trails which Ive never ventured on 4 wheels,
I only has a few hours, But got to see a lot and moved swiftly past familiar areas in the early morning,
The TW with 3500 miles ran fine, Mostly 2nd and 3rd gear work throughout, I am now thinking that I would like a stiffer throttle on the bike, There has to be a way to get more friction to it,
And interestingly enough, At one point a smaller branch reached up and down shifted from 3rd to 2nd and an instant, Actually came under toe of riding boot and snatched the lever, Nothing tragic, Just interesting,
OK,
Here are some pics,
pb4.jpg pb1.jpg pb3.jpg pb5.jpg pb2.jpg

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
pb6.jpg pb8.jpg pb7.jpg pb9.jpg
There were a couple interesting crossings,
The one was quite easy The other a bit more challenging !
I found my old friend Snappy the snapping turtle only a 1/2 mile into the ride, It was nice to see her,
And then a couple hours later I ran into my pal the Eastern Painted turtle, He was a bit cranky today, I don't know why,
~ ~ ~ ~
It seems like another member here "Jersey Jeeper" also knows the area pretty well, I haven't met him in person yet, But I am thinking that there is a good chance we crossed paths in the past.
If there are a few folks that would like to spend a few hours to an entire day honing their slow ride skills in the Pines, Please feel free to PM me and Ide be happy to guide a trip!
There are miles of very tight single track where Ive seen Trials rides in the past, Nothing rocky or hilly, But a very nice place to commune with Mother Nature and your TW200.
Heres a couple more pics.
Peter B

·
Super Moderator
4,047 Posts
Are you guys good for a ride in the Barrens on June 18th? I'm ready, I just talked to Bob Werloc and he's in. Weather permitting
That Friday night I'm working an all nighter as far as current plans.. Putting in a new SAN!

·
Super Moderator
4,047 Posts
I wish I could have made it pred! I went later after work though, started another thread with pics too. Looks like you had a great morning!

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a Father in Law which may cause me to be away for a week later this month, The doctors will know more soon,
That weekend is a possibility,
Is there a place here that we can pool phone numbers and Email addresses, for organization purposes?

~ ~ ~
I can be emailed direct at
[email protected]
If you drop me a line Ill send all my number,
I figure we can meet early,
Ride till time to eat and make it a shorted day if you have to leave.
Then we can scout more trails if some want to continue,
The one crossing above where the tracks are all that is left is difficult,
Best with 2 or more people as getting the bike up the bank is a real challenge alone,
I work in Phila and live in Pittsburgh,
I now run trails on both sides,
So if you're in Western PA I know a nice play ground in the woods Ide love to share.
Peter B

·
Registered
13,420 Posts
Awesome! We have a lot of old railroad beds out here, as every state does I suppose. Some of our or parts of forest service roads use to be logging rail spurs. Other than see an old railroad tie one in a great while, I've never seen something like this. Way interesting it is! Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
It's surprising those rails weren't pulled for scrap iron during WWII! Or maybe those pines grow really fast. :confused:
Easily post 1945 growth there...probably post 1975. It is weird they are still there though. Our town pulled up some old tracks for a rail-trail (non-motorized) project a few years ago....they did not have to pay for removal, they took bids and made money on it. Rare case of government not being idiots.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I believe they were no longer used in the 80s,
Ive found entire factories and buildings just walked away from buried in various places in the Pine barrens,
In the 80s it was discovered that the big drug and manufacturing companies had been dumping tractor trailers full of waste chemicals in certain areas which became superfund sights that needed to be cleaned up, All buildings were evacuated and up went chain link fences and monitoring wells,
Ive visited a couple I know of and they have remained the same after all these years,
And there are literally TONS of rails all over the place.
Some have been unused since Ive been going there in about 1980,
Heres a few more pics,
woods.jpg woods2.jpg woods4.jpg woods3.jpg

1 - 14 of 14 Posts