TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Among many of my interests, Gardening has always been a big part of my life. It's relaxing and fulfilling. I thought I'd start a thread where we can share our gardening interests, hopefully with plenty of pics. Vegetable, flower, and even littletommy's weed gardens are welcome.

I'm just getting around to tilling and while putting off rebuilding the carb on my tiller, the weeds got out of control. Anyway, here's some pics of what I did yesterday. I'll let it sit until I get back from a mushrooming trip with my dog friend, Murf, to northern Mich in a week or so....but it's a start. More to come:)

The tiller is a BCS that I bought new in 1979 and it converts to a snow blower in the winter. Wonderful machine.

garden1.jpg
garden2.jpg
garden3.jpg

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Gardening is one of my distinct pastimes and pleasures. Of course I have to figure out a way to include my antique tractors into the formula. I am up to about one and a half acres now. Lots of sweet corn, with 4 70 foot rows up about a foot tall, 3 additional rows up about 4 inches tall, and will do at least 2-3 more plantings. My list includes Basel, parsley, cilantro, radishes, (which I am on the second planting already), kohlrabi, carrots, beets, potatoes, squash of all kinds, cucumbers, pumpkins, flowers and sunflowers.
I have built a tool bar for the back of one tractor, so I can drive across the garden and instantly have 4 planting furrows, a model C International tractor with cultivator bars to help keep the weeds down, and three John Deere Model 71 planters mounted up on a tool bar to plant sweet corn with. I know kind of expensive toys, but I had all of it already. I give most of what I harvest to my family and the neighborhood. Maybe that is why they all wave at me! I will get some pictures, so you mouth can water a little. I will bet that Russ Austin Memoril Ride will have some "fresh" veges in the meal items.
Mel

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Left my camera in my umpire partners car{too many cold brews after the games last night} but will have photos as the spring and summer progress....my special green thumb is flowers, especially sunflowers...I usually grow about 8-10 different varieties of them....from the smaller "Teddy Bear" to the large eating{for the squirrels and birds, I don't eat the damn things} Mammoth type....here are some from last season:

Sunflower Finches 028.JPG Sunflower Finches 002.JPG More Backyard Sun(flowers) 009.JPG More Backyard Sun(flowers) 007.JPG

They attract all kinds of critters and birds, including the Gold Finches seen here....so far this year, about 80 plants and 8 varieties have popped through the ground....

·
Super Moderator
18,084 Posts
I better not Tirebiter. The home invasion types might hit me, It's little anyway compared to some folks.
Mel has told me about his gardens! Quite the farmer...
Hoot, I love sunflowers too!!

Reactions: Hoot Gibson

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like a row of Mammoth sunflowers too Hoot. Here's a pic of some last year before they bloomed. I'm 6' tall and they were about 12' at that time. When they bloomed and before they bent their heads they were 14'7". I can't find a pic of them right now.
sunflowers.jpg

And here's a pic of an unusual pepper. There's always some strange ones but Sue liked this one.
pepper.jpg

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I better not Tirebiter. The home invasion types might hit me, It's little anyway compared to some folks.
Understand. We were at a Kum&Go somewhere in Iowa and this was right next to the parking lot. Had to pose for some pics....no faces in this one.
Kum&Go.jpg

·
Registered
4,500 Posts

·
Registered
13,745 Posts
Honestly, I hate to garden as I have no patience for it, but I could if I had too. Lots of credit to those of you who do like to garden.:)

When I have tried to garden these past few years, oddly enough I always get a good potato crop! Huh, go figure!:p

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Puts a new meaning to "Smoke It If You Got It" :p
you wouldn't want to smoke that Hoot... looks like wild cannabis Americana. Probably go to seed before it is any good... or at least that's what I've been told.

Probably like a 25 cent cigar.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
by the way.... those are some amazing gardens you guys are showing. I'm like the Admiral and it is hard to get things to grow in the north, pretty short season.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Probably like a 25 cent cigar.
Now that would be nasty....one of the "It's a Boy/Girl" Cigars....damn that some bad S**t:(

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Now that saves on the Back! :eek:

·
Registered
234 Posts
I don't have a lot of patience for gardening either. I'm always trying to cut corners one way or the other. This years experiment is growing tomatoes in concrete blocks. I read somewhere if you make a row of blocks, and plant a tomato plant in every other hole at ground level. the block shades the soil enough that weeds won't grow in the holes, and you can run your mower and trimmer right up against the out side of the blocks. If its anything like most of my gardening shortcuts however I'll be buying my tomatoes from the local Mennonites.

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
I like a row of Mammoth sunflowers too Hoot. Here's a pic of some last year before they bloomed. I'm 6' tall and they were about 12' at that time. When they bloomed and before they bent their heads they were 14'7". I can't find a pic of them right now.
View attachment 6581

And here's a pic of an unusual pepper. There's always some strange ones but Sue liked this one.
View attachment 6580
Hand grenade maybe? Tree snake? Can't quite put my finger on it:cool:

Tom

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Five years ago I made a garden. Had to fence it in around here because of Deer, rabbits and other critters. 6 foot high fence all around and 30' X 50'. I made it to the last corner post, pressure treated 4X4s sunk 3' deep and digging by hand with a post hole shovel and lots of big rocks. Had a heart attack and drove myself to the ER and got a stent. All is well now.

The first year all I did was rototill and remove tons of stones and rototill some more and bring in top soil to till in and take a dirt sample to the cooperative extension to get the PH right. I have a Troy built Horse tiller that is a fantastic machine but lots of work making a new garden where none ever existed before.

The first growing season went pretty good except the critters got in and ate all my expensive vegetables. Had to install finer fencing all around they could not get through, chicken wire.

The second season was great with no critter problems but lots of other problems with bugs, beetles and cut worms destroying most of my growing plants. My tomatoes got some kind of rust fungus and the entire crop was lost before I realized what was happening. I needed to be a freaking chemist to figure out what chemicals to put on the plants to keep them bug free and healthy.

The third season was a complete disaster. We went away on a 2 week vacation and the weeds over ran the entire garden while we were gone. I spent days upon days trying to clean it up after we returned.

This year there will be no garden and instead I have black tarps covering the entire tilled soil and they are supposed to solarize it and kill any weed seeds so that next year I can start fresh. I did add a nice asparagus bed last spring that is doing great right now and should be productive next year and for many future years. The jury is still out on weather I have a green thumb or not but I do enjoy trying and have not yet been completely discouraged.

If I can't get the hang of growing the veggies we love without having to poison the trout stream at the edge of my yard I might have to get littletommy over here to grow a cash crop for his pals. That should be good for around 5-15 years here in the communist state of NY but I retired after 27 years in the NY Prisons so at least I will be hanging with old friends.

GaryL

·
Super Moderator
18,084 Posts
GaryL say's, I might have to get littletommy over here to grow a cash crop for his pals.

All Joking aside, it's Medicinal use only, no sharing/giving/selling, etc. I follow the rules. It's a privilege, not a right, Remember, I'm in an apt, so only make a little, and still feel less is better with all meds, and only when I need it. And it's not as easy as folks think. I still deal with all kinds of problems, just like an outside garden.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts