TW200 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so my new girlfriend has a 2006 Tw 200. I have riden before but never somthing quite like this. Mostly quads off road and rockets on the street. I have been playing around with this tw and wow lots 'o' fun! Now it had 86 miles on it and in 3 weeks it has 186 miles on it I noticed no inspection stickers so I asked her about that. She never rode it on the road. Well im going to. Lol. Are they streetable from stock? Even with the knobby tires?? I live in pa. I have a long commute to work like 60 miles no real highways but looking to save some gas (I drive a Ram 1500 Hemi with performance work) and looking to have some fun. Any imput would be greatly appreciated. Thanks soooo much! ;-)

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Ride away. They can do it all day long. Obviously the stock tires are a bit buzzy on the street, but the bike is happy at 60, can do 65+, and can be a good commuter. I like to think that it was not engineered to run 70 even if you could get it to do with mods (its basically a basic steed, and happiest/safest in the 55 to 65 range and operated by an alert rider. Enjoy. Tom

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
If it's got all the stock lights and turn signals still on it, it should be able to be licensed for the street.

Question - what kind of roads are you thinking of traveling on 60 miles to and from work each day? This is not a high speed highway motorcycle to run at 65 mph on the expressway - it has little or no reserve power over that and you will be blown all over the road. If it's smaller backroads, like at 50-55 mph, you will be OK but the knobby tires will wear you out after a while, so you may want to think of more road-ready tires than the knobbies on the bike.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Peruano,

Thanks! Yes it seems to do very well and I like the way it feels. The buzzyness dosent bother too much. Used to running open exhaust on my cars. But do you know are the knobby tires street legal?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mostly back roads like 35-45 mph. I may change the tires at some point soon I was just trying to get the bike legal (inspected) for now and do some changes down the road. There is a stretch of road that is posted 60. But its only about 4 miles.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
If they are the stock tires they are legal.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all of your input guys! Looking forward to enjoying this un-riden treasure!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I understand (by looking at it) it has a small tank. What kind of milage (on road) can I expect from the bike?

·
Registered
184 Posts
My last tank got me 73 mpg. With a 1.8 gal. tank you can go 130 miles before next fill-up. Now, put some miles on that thing!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks poolsgold! Ooooh there will be miles on it. Just have to get it streetable. She has had the bike for 5 years she put 87 miles on it riding around the yard. I put 100 just in the last 3 days lol. It was somthong her ex-boyfriend bought for her. Haha. His loss my gain all around I guess.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Mostly back roads like 35-45 mph. I may change the tires at some point soon I was just trying to get the bike legal (inspected) for now and do some changes down the road. There is a stretch of road that is posted 60. But its only about 4 miles.

If you ride mostly on the pavement, you might consider airing the stock tires up to 22 front 25 rear. Easy to drop them back to 16-18 for dirt (about 3 seconds with a pen). You'll get a little better mileage and handling at 55 will be a little better, especially when you and your girlfriend go dual. I get 75 to 80 mpg on my 2010 with stock jetting on the street, so ~100 to reserve then another ~30 to dry tank. These days that's pretty neat!

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
If most of your riding is 35-45 steady cruising, you should make it to work and back okay, barring a wicked headwind. If you dog it, no way. Until you figure your efficiency for the trip, best to fill up on each end.

I think you're only messing with the chick to ride her TW. We should all be so lucky.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts