1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
656 Posts
Hi littletommy: Looks interesting. Would at least have to see a model and ride for a while before buying. However, I think that both India and China, which have many more motorcycles(especially small CC) on the road are getting there Mojo so to speak up to speed. I remember when Japanese products were simply "Rice Burners". These countries can and are starting to produce quality equipment, if one looks.

·
Registered
20,153 Posts
I hope the listed weight includes the rack and panniers otherwise seems porky. Nice volumetric efficiency at almost 100hp/ litre of displacement but that means peaky power and high r.p.m.s are not conducive to longevity. Nice concept, hope marketing gurus don't point out that at that price level they are leaving money on the table, and bring the sales price up to mildly undercut competition. If we see too cheap a price we think too cheap a quality,

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
"If you're an ADV enthusiast, you probably read this headline and said to yourself, “A new model adventure bike? For less than $3,000? It’ll be an underpowered, fragile piece of crap. Probably built in China.” Well... you may well be right."

That says it all, to me. I know there's a guy on here with billions of miles on his Zongshen, but the company just hasn't won me over. He is the unique exception, to the rule that China bikes a junk. I'm sure he's done plenty of preventative fixes, strengthening and replacing of weak parts, extra maintenance, etc. If this bike were reliable (Japanese), I could imagine a KLR 250 motor (power-wise) in a 400 pound ADV bike... I imagine about 95% of the US motorcycling population couldn't. I do think that China bikes are getting closer in terms of reliability, with the globalization of parts and manufacturing industry over recent years, but they still aren't on par with a good Japanese or European vehicle. I want to like it (cool concept), but I can't. Maybe this will be another exception (Chinese automotive companies/products moving in the right direction), and I will wholly be proven wrong. I won't keep my fingers crossed. For the time being, I'd rather put that 3 grand towards a Honda Grom (125).

·
Registered
656 Posts
Hi kj7687: Kind of thought you would want to weigh in. Times are starting to change, yes crap has been produced in all countries, try late 70's/ early 1980's American cars in general. Welcome to the changing world. By the way I owned a 1986 Astro Van I liked. It was used as a cargo van for my printing company and a getaway with mattress in back on weekends.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Bike looks kinda cool but for the heavy weight it has I'd pick a KLR similar in weight and 400 cc's more in the engine department. In my opinion the KLR is a pig and too big to trail ride on. Fire roads and such it is great though. Not sure about the quality but for three grand what would you expect? littletommy needs to be the guinea pig and buy one and let us know;)

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
dogonit: You are definitely right about different countries all making crap at one point or another, and that times are changing in the motor vehicle industry. I had a 94 Astro Van. 215k miles when I sold it and it ran fine, even though I never did any maintenance on it. I reckon that 4.3L wasn't too bad. I like the mattress in the back idea...talk about camping with a girlfriend ;D

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hmmmm, a BMW lookalike/ripoff made to a ridiculous price point just to get ignoramuses who can't use Craigslist through the door? Made for looks with plenty of corners cut? Give me an hour to list all the things that give me the creeps.

Look, you're too poor to be cheap, guys. This thing is a pile. I have an idea: buy a used bike made by a company whose name you can pronounce for $2500 (without all the taxes and B.S.) and spend the other $500 on quality gear that will give you a chance to live through your first 5 crashes without racking up $280,000 in life flight, orthopedic and neurosurgical bills. ATGATT.

Take this advice and you'll owe me more than you could imagine.

·
Super Moderator
17,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
656 Posts
I want one. Just wish I was In Cal. to try it out before a blind purchase. Need to start my web searching for additional info. Need to get in touch with that guy on the Adv. thread with his forever bike.

·
Registered
656 Posts
The hell with it. I put myself on the list for the bike. It has to be certified first, they are thinking by end year start shipping. Sometimes I'm willing to just go wild, and say give it a shot. Have lost/made way more money in past on other projects, stocks, gold recently, etc. Life is what it is. You don't succeed without failing on occasion.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
I certainly wouldn't condemn it yet.. Looking forward to the test results. i won't be selling my TW either way...

·
Registered
656 Posts
I certainly wouldn't condemn it yet.. Looking forward to the test results. i won't be selling my TW either way...
Hi rbm: Me neither. Am interested from an experimental state. Want to see the level of sophistication of bike. Will be on top of warranty and having some very savvy people go over it.
They would be fools to send total crap(never have another chance). There will probably be corners cut and then I will make the decision if better all round or still crap. Looking forward to the test. And I am supposed to get mine for the 3K initial offer, but with shipping to East Coast I will be paying another 500 or so and the add in the other BS, the real OTD, ready to ride will probably be 4K.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Dogonit: You'd better tell us all about it! And give us pictures and video! And ride the piss out of it for thousands of miles in mere weeks so you can tell us if (how fast? lol) it falls apart! Hope it's not the POS that I have the feeling it probably is. Good luck!

1 - 20 of 125 Posts