TW200 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another fabulous 2 hour ride through the Pt. Washington State forest today.

But, it wasn't without incident.

About an hour into the ride, I stopped at what appeared to be a rest stop complete with benches and the obligatory board showing what animals I was likely to see. I ate my peach, drank some water and after enjoying the solitude and the view, it was time to move on.

I turned the ignition on, hit the start button and, nothing but a click! Plenty of juice in the battery, according to my newly installed volt meter but, just a click.

The land was perfectly flat so a bump start was highly unlikely. I tried but, well, all I accomplished was sliding the rear wheel a bit.

Finally, after a lot of praying and cussing, the starter hit and I made it out of the forest.

I decided right then and there to spring for a kick starter.

Any suggestions for a source?

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
One link has all the part numbers to order all the correct pieces direct from a Yamaha dealer near you no shipping. I got my kits from Bay City Yamaha in Oregon.

Try jumping in second or third gear it works better.

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
The times before I had a kicker, I would push mine in neutral, get up a bit of speed, jump on side saddle and pluck it in second. With the extra weight it will turn it over. Lower gearing will be hard to do that though. As many batteries I have gone through, I just kick them now for the most part. They start easy and I need some exercise lol.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
The times before I had a kicker, I would push mine in neutral, get up a bit of speed, jump on side saddle and pluck it in second. With the extra weight it will turn it over...
Second rather than first, plus bounce your weight on the seat just as the clutch is released

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
19,413 Posts
Bump starting, or the kickstarter, will be very helpful for when the dual USB port's transformer drains the TW battery if it is wired in an always on configuration. Best when wired to a switched power supply.
The parasitic losses are only milliamps but given enough hours parked then those losses become enough amp hours to discharge the battery.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bump starting, or the kickstarter, will be very helpful for when the dual USB port's transformer drains the TW battery if it is wired in an always on configuration. Best when wired to a switched power supply.
The parasitic losses are only milliamps but given enough hours parked then those losses become enough amp hours to discharge the battery.
You must have missed the post where I said I spliced it into the horn circuit which is switched off and on with the ignition.

·
Registered
19,413 Posts
I read elsewhere that you did it properly after I had already posted, my apologies. Hard to keep everyone's stories straight . :hatsoff:

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Did you ever figure out why it wouldn't start? Even with a kick-starter if a faulty safety, bad ground or simply dirty contacts on a starter could still bite you.
Well, I guess the starter wouldn't matter. But somethings up.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
I just ordered a complete kick assy from Sebastian in Germany, I really appreciate his sharing of information with this forum so I was compelled to spend my money with him.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts