Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
814 Posts
+1 ...

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
WOOHOOO!!!!! I'm building a giant scale model of Tika IV, piloted by Lt. Vernon R. Richards, and that color image is going to be an important piece of documentation for competitions. I can duplicate the imperfections in fit and finish compared to the "clean" photos and drawings. Tika IV was one of the few aircraft to rack up more than 5 kills--usually pilots that were effective were sent home to train more effective pilots.

I've seen picture 37 before, fighters on deck, 2nd row, 6th plane back, my uncle. Grumman Hellcats, if memory serves.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Very nice find. My Grandfather was a B 17 pilot his plane named "Snafu Man"
. Over 50 Missions, then an instructor. Buried with honors. 20140515_133454.jpg 20140515_133519.jpg 20140515_133525.jpg

20140515_133556.jpg

Written July 1988

Dear Veteran, Soldier, Hero:

I was born long after the many people who died giving their lives to protect the place we call HOME. I have never known what it might take to go and give your life to protect the RED, WHITE & BLUE of AMERICA.
I feel fortunate, that I have not had to fill those shoes. Yet at times, I feel that myself, as well as many others take for granted what thousands of Americans did to make America what it is today. Only people who have been there know what it is like to reach down and fight for each and every breath, then reach a little more. You were trained to give it 1000% every time. The word RESPECT was used hand in hand with HONOR and AMERICA.
The older I get, the more experience and wisdom I earn. The more I mature, the more I realize what thousands have done for me, so that I, along with millions of others can feel safe and smile everyday because we live in AMERICA.
You are the reason I am here. The part of my heart that you fill is larger than you could ever dream. This letter is to tell you how grateful I am. Only the words of THANKS, RESPECT, HONOR AND LOVE can describe what you have done for me, and so many others. You mean the world to me, but what you and thousands of veterans have done for all of us Americans, I say "THANK YOU".

Sincerely,

Brock T. Halter
[email protected]

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
StanHouseworthAAF1942.jpg Stan Houseworth 1942.jpg

My Old Man spent WW2 Stateside as the Chief Mechanic on B~29s....Stationed in Denver{Lowery Field}, Mather AB near Sacramento, CA, and finally at Newark, Delaware, where he met my mom....the two photos above he is home in Ohio on Leave, and in the Cropped Photo of the B~29 you can see him inside the Cockpit when the photo was snapped at Mather in 1942....as Chief Mechanic he got the prime spot, inside the plane, for the photo shooting::happy8:

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
My father was a F4 mechanic during WWII, then flew them in Korea, and later was a UH1 test pilot. I had 4 uncles who flew fighters in WWII, all but 1 survived.

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
My Father was a primary flight instructor in WWII so he spent most of his time poking about in Biplanes or AT-6's. However he also several other ratings so was able to fly anything in the inventory. Being able to check out a P-51,P-38 or a B-17 took the sting out of being denied the chance to fly combat. On the other hand my Uncle was a B-17 tail gunner that got shot down twice and told my dad he was damm smart or lucky to have stayed out of it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts