TW200 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I've been cruising the forum for a few weeks, completely obsessed with the TW. Yesterday I went riding with a buddy and he let my borrow his 2020 TW, we tore up some single track and it completely solidified in my mind that I HAD to have one of these. I was smiling and laughing non-stop riding this bike. I have seen several used bikes locally and finally snatched up my own today! It's a 1999, with some great essential parts and had a responsible owner who used these forums to fix it up nicely!

I'm so excited to be part of this community, I feel like this bike really suits my personality and I look forward to many great adventures. I will be building out a camper van soon and my TW will be mounted on it at all times, ready for anything!

I took it out riding today after bringing it home. I told myself "I'm just going to stick to the paved road and see how it's running" and didn't even put on gloves let alone the rest of my off-road gear! Well.... that plan failed. I found every little path or trail calling to me, and I didn't have the will power to resist.

See you around the forums!

·
Registered
537 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
There is a wealth of knowledge on
this forum!
Ask nicely when needed and you shall receive..
That little tw will really grow on ya.
You will likely average around
one thousand smiles to a gallon.
Raise that front fender a little if you are
going to be playing in the mud and
be sure to let us know how the Tdub
Does down in Baja.
Mike from NC

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
One more that succumbed to the sting.
Another T-Dub success story.
Welcome to the forum!

Marty

·
Registered
594 Posts
Hey Dane,
Well, first off, Welcome. Second, your title says something about Southern CA. May I ask, what part of "Southern CA" are we talking about? San Diego, L.A, El Centro, what? I'm an old San Diegan myself. I migrated to AZ about 7 years ago and never looked back. The T-dub is a great little tractor bike. It will ALWAYS get you there. It may not be the fastest in town but, it will always get you there. Just realize its limits and, do your diligence on maintenance and it will serve you for a very, very long time. Good luck and be careful out there if you venture off into the outback by yourself.
Scott

Reactions: Westieterrier

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Dane,
Well, first off, Welcome. Second, your title says something about Southern CA. May I ask, what part of "Southern CA" are we talking about? San Diego, L.A, El Centro, what? I'm an old San Diegan myself. I migrated to AZ about 7 years ago and never looked back. The T-dub is a great little tractor bike. It will ALWAYS get you there. It may not be the fastest in town but, it will always get you there. Just realize its limits and, do your diligence on maintenance and it will serve you for a very, very long time. Good luck and be careful out there if you venture off into the outback by yourself.
Scott
I'm located in the Ventura County / Santa Barbara County area.

You guys will get a kick out of this, I opened the air box to check the filter and it was jiggling around like it had marbles inside it. I found filter oil soaked dog kibble in there!

I don't feel like the carb is tuned very well for higher throttle and wide open throttle. The previous owner said he put in a jet kit that runs it slightly on the richer side to keep the engine cooler. It seems great down low, but feels inconsistent or lacking in the higher ranges. I did notice that I have to let the engine wind out before shifting in the 3 -> 4th and 4th -> 5th gears, especially when going uphill. 1st and second feel really solid. I put a little seafoam in my gas too, just to keep things clean. Other than that the bike has been a blast and I've been just going over it getting familiar and checking everything. It will be getting an oil change, valve clearance inspection, and an xring chain and sprockets in the next few days. I did order a skid plate and the larger gas tank from Clarke + tall seat concepts with gripper top as well. I was sliding off the back of the seat while trying to do that gnarly hill climb, making the front end lift off the ground repeatedly. I'm also 6' so I think I'll enjoy a little more seat height.

I have some giant loop mojavi bags from my DRZ that I will be using + some spare fat bars from my KTM. I could use a little rear rack to hold my tool and recovery bag though, haven't decided on anything. The cycle racks seems too big for me, I like to keep my bikes slimmer if possible.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts