TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After considering the logistics or rentals, and how much time I won't be able to take off next month, I've concluded I won't be able to make the Moab gathering. My coworker left the organization I work for, so I'm kind of holding things together at the moment, any more than a weekend isn't really possible for the time being... that said... I wanted to put the feelers out about a gathering in the northwest.

***This would not occur during Moab, we could plan as the Moab group does and narrow it down to a month and go from there.

Something smaller, targeting people in this region, so (like me) if you can't make the Moab trip, there is still an event to look forward to.

I was scouting some Tahuya riding areas and was told about a cool location in northern Tahuya (that's Washington's off-road wonderland for you non-Washingtonians), aside from the insane amount of trails, they have a family-run glamp/camp/RV grounds that looks like it could host a decent amount of folks if coordinated correctly.

Check it out, let me know what you think. It would be cool to have something like the gathering of the goats in the northwest, not to minimize SanDue's ride and shoot (I think there is another in Cali that I can't remember, sorry).

I just know having a place to stay/park/take-a-poop is important and thought I'd toss it out there. Might make a good place where a bunch of us could gather, ride, and kick the boots up around a fire.

I'll even throw this out there, if it does end up being something a decent size group wants to do... I will provide a dinner for the group (I know how you folks like free stuff), might help with the logistics and planning.

Speak your piece.

Registered
I think that's a fantastic idea !
The more events we have the better .
It would be fantastic if one day there was a
yearly event in all 50 states .....
I wish I could attend ......
I may be able to attend your 3rd annual event ., 馃榾
mike from NC

Registered
Sounds interesting, but I would prefer a national forest area over a glamping resort.

Reactions: Rudolf

Registered
After considering the logistics or rentals, and how much time I won't be able to take off next month, I've concluded I won't be able to make the Moab gathering. My coworker left the organization I work for, so I'm kind of holding things together at the moment, any more than a weekend isn't really possible for the time being... that said... I wanted to put the feelers out about a gathering in the northwest.

Something smaller, targeting people in this region, so (like me) if you can't make the Moab trip, there is still an event to look forward to.

I was scouting some Tahuya riding areas and was told about a cool location in northern Tahuya (that's Washington's off-road wonderland for you non-Washingtonians), aside from the insane amount of trails, they have a family-run glamp/camp/RV grounds that looks like it could host a decent amount of folks if coordinated correctly.

Check it out, let me know what you think. It would be cool to have something like the gathering of the goats in the northwest, not to minimize SanDue's ride and shoot (I think there is another in Cali that I can't remember, sorry).

I just know having a place to stay/park/take-a-poop is important and thought I'd toss it out there. Might make a good place where a bunch of us could gather, ride, and kick the boots up around a fire.

I'll even throw this out there, if it does end up being something a decent size group wants to do... I will provide a dinner for the group (I know how you folks like free stuff), might help with the logistics and planning.

Speak your piece.
I'm way down in the most Southern part of California, but a friend just moved back to WA, so I will keep an eye out for your meet-up and pass the info along to him. Rentals have been insanely priced this Summer and I had to skip some plans. I am leaving on Monday after a visit with my Cardiologist... rented a pick-up ($400/week). I plan to ride solo in a Nevada mountain range, then off to Montana where I have a Forest Service cabin rented.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds interesting, but I would prefer a national forest area over a glamping resort.
There is dispersed camping in Tahuya (camp spillman) at a couple areas but require a discover pass and gives you access to all the state parks. It's $30, good for a year, or $10 for a day pass.

Nearst free camping in national forests is across hood canal, it's only about 10-15 miles away (as the bird flies) but no bridges or ferries in that area so it's about an hour drive from the main staging area.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I like the idea and am interested. Very close to home for me. Tahuya can be very busy on the weekends but during the week it鈥檚 usually quiet. There are lots of areas to explore close by and several areas to camp both on and off site.
That's kind of the way I'm thinking, set something up for a couple days during the week so it's not super busy, but from what I saw and talked to a couple folks about, the adventure camp is northern tahuya, and the trails up there aren't usually very busy, we could still make our way to the main trail systems that run closer to Belfair, but north should be pretty chill.

Registered
2021 TW
I am willing to ride any time of year. Some Tahuya trails are prone to flooding and muddy conditions during the winter and spring. Campsites stay useable as do access roads. The trails are worked on Monday through Thursday all year round, 5 man team. Only time it鈥檚 gets sketchy is during heavy winds and during our short snow season in late January and early February.

Registered
I am in! The last group ride at Tahoya was so wet that you could ride jet skis on some of the trails, but a good time was had by all. A few weeks ago I went with the SIL to Walker Valley up near Bellingham. I would rate that as the worst ATV area I have ever been to. Read BOMBED out.
Tahoya before the fall rains really set in would be good.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So I made it up to the adventure resort, and I'm already diggin it. Was met by Melody, their morning welcoming crew, got a free map of the trails and sights in the area.

Things to note:
-Bring cash or book online for spots.
-All of the following come with access to bathrooms and showers (indoors)
-Parking (cars and trucks) is $15 for the day
-Campsites $40
-RV and tent cabins (see website for their prices as they change).

You can ride straight from the camping area straight out to the trails and for groups, they have a kitchen for folks to gather and cook in with big enough groups (I'll have to find out more about this).

Im gonna hit some of the nearby trails and report back later today or tomorrow.

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Did the overland trail today, just the west section (there was still a good ammount of people in them thar hills, didn't want to risk getting jammed up for the ride home). At a meager pace, took about 2.5 hrs. I'll post some pictures and video once I get unloaded and cleaned up.

Overall experience without partaking in many of the adventure resort amenities... 10/10

Edit: here is a map of the trail route I took. Started at the "resort" and went northwest on the overland trail (yellow blocks denoted by my astutely placed black dots to highlight the section I rode).

Ecoregion World Map Atlas Urban design

Registered
2021 TW
Glad you had a good experience. I have found the Resort to be very comfortable, staff to be both friendly and helpful. Favorite place for visiting family to set up their 5th wheel. There is a wide variety of trails in the state park riding area, definitely a beautiful area.

Not trying to hijack you thread, but if it鈥檚 too crowded for you there still is Shelton Dirt riders area land lease. Never as crowded, with only motorcycles and quads allowed on trails. Though bikes can go on quad trails there are motorcycle only tracks too, some tight single tracks and lots of easy going trails. Speed limit is 25mph in riding area. Perfect for TW鈥檚.

On 25 September SDR is having our annual party and open house. If you are interested in checking out the area and club for free, come on out. A waiver will have to be signed prior to riding the lease but that鈥檚 it.

If you are in the area on Sunday, the 25th of September please come out. I will happily take folks out for tours, should be plenty of free food too.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Glad you had a good experience. I have found the Resort to be very comfortable, staff to be both friendly and helpful. Favorite place for visiting family to set up their 5th wheel. There is a wide variety of trails in the state park riding area, definitely a beautiful area.

Not trying to hijack you thread, but if it鈥檚 too crowded for you there still is Shelton Dirt riders area land lease. Never as crowded, with only motorcycles and quads allowed on trails. Though bikes can go on quad trails there are motorcycle only tracks too, some tight single tracks and lots of easy going trails. Speed limit is 25mph in riding area. Perfect for TW鈥檚.

On 25 September SDR is having our annual party and open house. If you are interested in checking out the area and club for free, come on out. A waiver will have to be signed prior to riding the lease but that鈥檚 it.

If you are in the area on Sunday, the 25th of September please come out. I will happily take folks out for tours, should be plenty of free food too.

Thanks for mentioning this again @JPB, this is great information! I could not find the last post you mentioned that in, and it was just as kind of you then as it is now for you to invite folks.

Is there 5th wheel parking at the Shelton private riding area? I was trying to consider vehicles and gear when discussing a group ride since I know RVs, campers, trucks, trailers are used by many, and if traveling want to make sure they have a place that can accommodate their vehicles.

Let me make sure i don't have plans (made for me) this weekend, I know we've got guests inbound this week. I'll let you know if I can make it.

Registered
2021 TW
You are most welcome.

There currently is no camping at SDR. Though the SDR parking areas are large enough to accommodate 5th wheels or large trailers transporting motorcycles or quads for day use.

There are some local parks and state parks close to the riding area with large camping spots. SDR is about a 20 minute scenic ride from Tahuya and maybe 20 miles from the resort you recently checked out. Some state parks are Twanoh, Potlatch, and Belfair. There are many other areas nearby too. Lots to consider.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts