TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would you change if you were designing the 2019 TW?

Yamaha made good bike.Its nearly perfect as is. Clearly Yamaha has done something right as it's the same bike since 1987 .There is just a couple things I would change.

I would put suspension thats adjustable on both ends. Keep the same amount of travel ,just make it more adjustable and better quality. And I might make it a 250 with EFI. And I would add three-quarters of a gallon to the fuel tank capacity. But keep its same basic style exactly the same. Oh, a rear disc too

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
These "what would you change" posts come up every once in awhile. It is fun to dream though. My dream this time is have the engineers re-design the engine for less vibration, self cancelling turn signals, handlebar mounted choke (or fuel injection), a real rear rack, a high/low range sub tranny, and ergonomics more in line with my middle aged body. The fuel injection would be great because in my quest for the ultimate wheelie, the carbed engine always seems to "phart" at the wrong time, prematurely ending some truly awesome wheelies.:D

·
Registered
254 Posts
Really not much I would change. I'm very happy with my little bike. Hell most of the stuff I did change on my bike was just to accommodate for a better fit.

I think the only things I'd wish for is fuel injection (not a big deal but the convenience and lower maintenance is soo nice) , 14/47 gearing stock (easy to change but the bike just works sooooo much better with this gearing) and a bigger tank (again easy fix with a Clark tank).

·
Registered
209 Posts

Yamaha made good bike.Its nearly perfect as is. Clearly Yamaha has done something right as it's the same bike since 1987 .There is just a couple things I would change.

I would put suspension thats adjustable on both ends. Keep the same amount of travel ,just make it more adjustable and better quality. And I might make it a 250 with EFI. And I would add three-quarters of a gallon to the fuel tank capacity. But keep its same basic style exactly the same. Oh, a rear disc too
I would like a fat tire wr250r but I'm thinking the charm of tw200 is in its 1990 simplicity and the huge supply of years of interchangeable parts and aftermarket accessories. That would be lost with updates. It fits a very specific niche, very well as is. Go Yamadog go!!! It's a perfect old mans trail 70!!

'13 TW200

A.T.

·
Registered
85 Posts

I'm thinking the charm of tw200 is in its 1990 simplicity and the huge supply of years of interchangeable parts and aftermarket accessories. That would be lost with updates. It fits a very specific niche, very well as is. Go Yamadog go!!! It's a perfect old mans trail 70!!

'13 TW200

A.T.
Yup. Leave her alone like she is. Start a new line if you want, but I thought of it as being the perfect old man's XL125. Guess if you have to modify it, add the 3/4" copper street 45 elbow that I put on at the factory. ?

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
At this point I would change nothing and everything lol! Like "New Coke" thats fine but we have to keep the ol Coke.

The TW is time proven cult classic so I'd keep the base model unchanged so we don't jack the price up to where nobody buys it and soon they stop making them and the parts to support them.

That being said I've love to see the TW 2.0 with 400cc of fuel injected fire breathing 7 speed front and rear disc, alloy frame, Factory Skid Protection like you mean it, and factory modular racks frame supported (quick change racks from carrying a 6 pack to 1/4 moose carcass and panniers etc. Aluminum tank 50% larger, KICK STARTER LOL, (hell you can take off the electric start if you give me a kicker!) Factory ATV rear tire and a better front tire and rear alloy rim, 2" higher bars, state of the art front and rear suspensions fully adjustable, factory oil cooler with a Lizard logo !!!

·
Super Moderator
4,859 Posts
On some forum or another, far far away, there is probably a thread about “What would you like to see on the 2019 Mashimoto 125 ?”

“Wouldn’t it be great if they upgraded the engine size to 200cc, stuck a fat rear tire on it, and got rid of all that weight by putting a smaller tank that didn’t stretch your legs apart, and maybe get rid of the complicated EFI and swapped it for a simple carb”

While meanwhile there’s a Harley forum somewhere that says “I’d like to see the engine from a Abrams tank, and a louder horn” ……….

·
Registered
164 Posts

They are many little changes that I would like to the current TW, even if the bike is just great as it is, but don't forget changing and improving a model requires RD and extra fees for a company which reflex in the final product cost. Also making a bike more powerful, with greater performance in every aspect will also affect the reliability. Has anyone ever heard of a low cost, low maintenance, reliable Formula 1 racing car, or bike in that matter??... One of main reason why I ride a TW is for it's low cost in both purchase and maintenance, it's simplicity, and it's rock sold reliability, and let's not forget this awesome forum dedicated to this model where we can all share information and tips. never the less, there are a two modifications that Yamaha should do to the currant TW that are low cost and realistic.

1- A factory OEM 15 tooth front sprocket or 47 rear ( I would go more with 15 front, for it's lower cost and less wear)

2- A O-ring chain or X-ring (cause the OEM chain is just a piece of junk elastic)

I go to bed every night thinking about my next ride and the next area that I will go explore with my TW, don't know if I dream about the bike, but if I do and have a wish list. Let me spear you the details. I would dream of a Fat tire, low seat WR 250R! Which this is what Yamaha should do, since they interrupted the production of the WR 250R for some reason that no one knows the reason why...???

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
The perfect TW, interesting. The machine is unique in two ways, that fat rear tire and this forum. I purchased mine new in 2006, logged around 8,000 off-road miles and modified it extensively. Lots of fun and rock solid. Kind of chuckle when I read about what people like and what they wish for. The big pluses seem to be lightweight, and low seat height. When shopping, that was on my short list as well. What we still seem to wish for is a better suspension (amen), a bit more power or maybe a sixth gear to help us manage the power we do have. A few of you have worked hard and created such a bike. I took a bit of a short cut and sold my TW and purchased an XT-225. Another fine machine from Yamaha and seems to have most of what the TW is missing. Having been there & done that, I think as a machine, the XT has the edge. What it sadly lacks is a forum like this one. Chopper Charles resurrected a unique machine and really made it 'Great' by virtue of this forum. My hats off to you Charles, and of course all the 'unique' folks that have stopped by and helped it grow.

·
Registered
19,434 Posts
Yamaha could just turn Jerry loose in their parts bin.
The suspension upgrades he made to his 2006 “MrGizmo” with long travel Tri-Z forks and Blaster shock transforms the TW into a much plusher riding machine that I feel is safer off-road. The mild stock engine does overpower the mild stock suspension at times. More power without more suspension might make for more injuries.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts