TW200 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. Please allow me to draw on the collective knowledge of the forum.

Has the size and shape of the brackets for the rear passenger footrests remained the same over the years? I'd ask the same question about the frame bracket attachment points; have they remained the same over the years?

I gather there is a difference between the shape of left and right brackets, but I'm not sure if there has been variation over the years between models. Please forgive the redundancy in my questions. I'm just trying to avoid mistakes. I've got a 2000 for which I'm gathering parts, so I'm wondering if brackets for newer year models will fit. Thanks in advance for the education.

Amatduber

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I’m pretty sure all years fit all others. I wound up not buying them, but a while back when I checked Partzilla had the same part numbers for 00 and 01 rear passenger brackets. You are correct - left vs right sides are not interchangeable.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's good to know, Badgerflorida. I think that is where I was initially going when I started to write the thread over in classifieds, but then it dawned on me there may have been some variation in fitment over the years. I thought I should sort that out before seeing if there were/are any for sale.

I have to say, this forum is just as helpful and friendly as I always thought when lurking over the years. In the short time since my first thread, Commandog very generously bequeathed a late year OEM muffler for the price of postage, Placerlode provided great service and a good price on a Seat Concepts seat kit, and local (to me) member Darth has generously offered to show me some good rides in the area when my TW is ride ready. So, thanks to all for that.

Also, to the mods, thanks for moving this thread to its proper place in the general forum.

Best to all,

Amatduber

·
Registered
19,210 Posts
Those passenger pegs can be a mixed blessing off road.
In a minor tip-over their presence can injure a foot or ankle. On the positive side they can also help keep bike from tipping over so far and leave rear tire elevated preventing a stall. Their presence has also helped, and hindered, extricating a leg trapped under the bike in minor falls.

·
Super Moderator
4,732 Posts
After a while, you get used to when to take your feet off the pegs - I got used to doing this at the age of 17, riding through the "rough". If it don't look right, it probably isn't, lift 'yer legs. Instinct is in no way the "solution" to this, but it will go a long way to saving your toes

The last time I smashed my toes, involved a taxi (turning right as I over took). The spade end of his bumper pretty much severed the filth digit, but fortunately (four hours later, as some idiot had taken a dive through a garage roof earlier, requiring a number of X-rays in order to detect the presence of a brain), some surgeon or another got the X-ray, counted up to 19 fractures (and this is in my little toe remember), and gave up counting - deciding instead to stitch what was left up (involving a fine hypodermic straight down the offending digit, which had a "questionable" effect as regards to a "pain solution")

The final "touch", was to apply "Elastoplast" to splint the injured toe to the next one - needless to say, that particular solution was great fun to all concerned two days later, when it was decided to "rip" it off

I was 17 at the time - but some things you never forget

Since then, I've learned to lift my feet ...........

·
Registered
19,210 Posts
Purple, feel free to lift your feet if you see any taxis in Moab. :p
Otherwise try to keep feet on pegs as valuable second and third points of contact for good off-road motorcycle control. Fanny comes in at a lowly fourth place. Weight that downhill peg, flex those tired shock absorbing knees and keep what is left of the toes pointed in.
Lift feet when necessary to avoid smashing but put them down and get back in control of the TW as soon as possible...so says the man who tends to collect smashed feet.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is great stuff. Thanks, guys. Feet up! Toes in! Give wide berth to taxis turning right from wrong side of the road!

Purple, I can empathize with your old injury. In August a half ton landscaping rock standing vertically in my neighbor's yard (not buried) fell on my 7 year old son's right foot. Just clipped the big toe and the one beside it. His big toe looked like it was shot with a shotgun at close range, as bad as anything I saw in Iraq. In the end, he lost about 1/5 of the toe, which isn't bad considering we initially thought he would need to have the whole thing amputated. Thank God, the surgeon worked a minor miracle, and the kid is irrepressible. He and his two brothers will be getting a mini bike for Christmas, and some riding boots! Oh, incidentally, that's why I need the foot pegs and brackets. With luck, the four of us will be doing some two-up exploring.

Hope all have a great day!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts