TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

A question (or two) about the factory tool kits for the TW

4K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  FIRE UP 
#1 ·
Hey Gang,
The other day, I went to yank the plug on the Dub and figured I'd use the factory tool kit to simulate being in the field. Well, I purchased this tool kit from one of the members here and looked it over when I first bought it, a few months ago and, all seemed well. But, when I went to remove the spark plug, I slipped the double ended socket over it and, kind-a to my surprise, there was no way to TURN that socket without the use of the cheap-o pliers that come in the kit. I mean, yeah, the make believe pliers worked but, if I recall, in many of the tool kits that have come in my other bikes, there was a form of a single handled lever, with an octagon opening, that fit that socket, to turn it. But, there's no such animal in this tool kit. Could this be missing or, are you just supposed to use the pliers?

Well, I decided that using the pliers, wasn't cool. So, I did the next best thing. As you can see in the photos, it was seriously technical, my remedy that is. The tool kit provides a basic screw driver that has interchangeable tips. So, I measured the smaller diameter one and, decided to drill a hole in the opposite end of the end that fits on the plug. Now, all one needs to do to loosen or tighten the spark plug, if and when needed which, should be NEVER on the trail, is stick the screw driver through the hole and there's your means of applying torque to the socket. Probably NOT an over exiting subject here but, I thought I'd throw this out at you folks just for grins.
Scott

Bicycle fork Bicycle part Auto part Tire Metalworking hand tool

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
YUP! That cheap 19/22 box wrench is the most important tool in the pack along with the JIS screwdriver tip. If your axle bolt/nuts are as tight as most it can be a real bear to loosen them with that wrench but it can be done. The oil drain plug is also one known to be far too tight but that is the only wrench for the job. 6 point sockets do the trick best but in a pinch the 6 point wrench is way better than any open end one or a 12 point socket.

GaryL

#9 ·
So Scott, does that mean you won't be plasma cutting us all wrenches for Christmas?
All teasing aside wishing you an early Merry Christmas .

Reactions: Darth
#10 · (Edited)
Hey Fred,
IF my Plasma machine was one of those that spits out 20 or 30 at a time of whatever the initial design is, heck ya I'd jamb a bunch of them and mail'm to who'm ever needed them. But, it's a standard, "one-off" semi-home-shop unit. I just came in to cook lunch for mama 'cause she's a bit under the weather then, it's out to the dark room for wrench design and manufacture. It was noted on here that, that wrench, if you have one, is kind-a tough to loosen axle nut's out in the field if needed 'cause it's a bit on the short side. Well, depending on what I come up with in terms of available space on the bike, i.e inside that tool compartment but, NOT in the tool bag, I might make it as long as will fit in that compartment. The tool kit would sit on top of it and keep it in place when I'm doing Mach-1 (yeah sure) across the local desert scenery around us.

Below is a picture or, pictures of a tool I made for the steering stem nut on my '08 Honda GL 1800 Goldwing. I think that tool, from Honda is about oh, maybe $50 or so. And, as some of you may or may not know, you don't mess with a steering stem or, the forks of a bike, EVERY DAY! So, it's way more like a one-time, possibly twice used in a term of ownership of the bike. So, I just thought I'd take an hour and knock one out. I think I've got about a $1.35 in it. All it is, is a 1.5" x 3" pipe nipple. It's interior and exterior dimensions JUST happened to be the exact dimensions needed for the making of the tool. All I had to do was notch it so it would fit in the reliefs of the nut and, weld a bar across the top which, I cut a square hole in it for my 1/2" drive torque wrench.
Scott

Text Camera Cameras & optics Font Technology
Auto part Pipe
Vehicle Motor vehicle Stunt performer Grass Stunt

#11 ·
I think the temper of a used mower blade is perfect for such a wrench as that from the Tdub kit..

#12 ·
Scott:
"Ahhhhhhaaaaa, I see, said the blind man..." to his deaf daughter on the dis-connected telephone.

#13 ·
Scott:
"Ahhhhhhaaaaa, I see, said the blind man..."to his deaf daughter on the dis-connected telephone.

#15 · (Edited)
The OEM 19 x 22 mm box wrench combo sure is very handy for many uses on the TW. So is the entire OEM tool kit, cheap as it is. Sure beats using a rock when broken down trailside since not everyone packs a replacement kit of superior quality tools.
But if you're thinking, and then cutting, outside of the box how about two maximum length box/ tire spoon combos rather than the 19 x 22? ...Wait , you probably already have them.:rolleyes:

#16 ·
Well,
Here it is, crude but, never the less, will do the job. It took me a bit over an hour. I don't work as fast as I used to but, who cares? The wife came out and asked: "Why don't you just cut the ends off the wrenches you need and weld the ends together that you DO need? I told her, "I'd have to buy them first, then destroy half of them to make what I needed". She's always thinking that gal. I already had quite a few pieces of scrap steel hanging around. This was a 3/16 x 1.25" wide x 9" long piece of scrap. 3/16" is fairly thick for this application. I figure I can stand on that tool to break the axle nut free if I have to and it won't tweak it. A little drill work, some plasma cutting, filing, a bit of disc sanding/polishing, done. I was gonna paint but, it'll get all scratched up anyways. I'll do a time-trial on it as it is, and see if and how much it might rust, while in captivity inside or under the tool bag on the bike. What'cha think?
Scott
Automotive exterior Bumper
Bumper Automotive exterior

#18 ·
Here ya go Brian. It's a Miller, Spectrum 375. It's capable of severing 5/8" material but, will cut up to 1/2" material. 1/2" material is stuff they make Navy ships out of. 99.999% of what I do involves stuff around 3/16 or, when I really want heavy duty, I'll go to 1/4". It all depends on what the project is. Now, as for my process on that little tool. Well, yep, you basically figured it out. Trace the perimeter of each sized socket. Then, center punch just inside each apex of each angle. Then, for this application, drill each center punch dot with a 3/32nd inch bit. Now, fire up the Plasma. Connect the dots, as you put it. Break out the files for some fine tuning on the flat parts of each cut. Finally, bring out the 90 degree air die grinder with a 2" , 120 grit sanding pad on it to clean up all rough outside edges. Change to a 220 pad for some rough polishing of all edges, and the flat sides, done. Hope this helps some.
Scott

P.S. I took a shot of the Plasma alone. Then one with my hand on it to show its size. It's not a big machine for how powerful it is. I'm very happy with it.

Attachments

Reactions: Darth and TW-Brian
#21 ·
Thanks Scott!

Looks like a nice little unit. I am a noobie to the fabrication game and am looking forward to adding some plasma cutting to my limited bag of tricks.
TW-Brian,
Well, I don't know if you've priced any of those lately but, that Miller Spectrum 375 "X-treme" was close to $1,350 or so when we bought it, about 8-9 years ago or more. I got way lucky back then. I knew about Plasma cutters from work but, the wife had never seen them. We were at the vendors booths during the Moab Easter Jeep Safari and the Miller rep was there demo-ing all their machines. What triggered the wifes interests was YARD ART! She was impressed with all the designs in both animals and vegetation.
So, long story short, she authorized me to make the purchase of the Plasma with her potential interest in making some yard art. Well, needless to say, we don't have any yard art YET. But, that machine has paid for itself several times over in the time we've had it.
Scott

Brian
Scott...you sure make it sound easy!
You should go in the biz...
Hey Darth,
Well, as much as I appreciate your thoughts about my abilities to do this sort of thing, "...go in the biz...." would mean WORK! I really like my life as it is. WORK is not part of it. Again, I appreciate your thoughts. I like tinkering and goofing around with the TW etc.
Scott

Reactions: TW-Brian
#20 ·
Scott...you sure make it sound easy!
You should go in the biz...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.