TW200 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After seeing Admirals cemetery thread I had the urge to make a run for Central City Cemetery and nearby Apex since I hadn't been by in a while. I had planned on leaving early in the am and spending the day, but things didn't work out and I ended up leaving later than I had hoped. I figured a short ride is better than no ride! When I left my house temps were a balmy 58F. Nice riding weather!

Arriving at Central City Cemetery:

Pressed for time, I didn't get a chance to wander and look for interesting headstones. The temp was dropping quickly in the late afternoon as a cool front was moving in, so after a quick photo I headed on towards Apex, the remnants of a gold mining town from 1870. Only a few buildings remain.

At Apex:

By this time temps were down to ~40F so I headed for home. It was a chilly ride and I was racing the sun as it dropped lower in the sky. I got home at dusk and it was downright nippy at 34F. I was happy to put the bike in the garage and grab a cup of coffee to warm up. A good 90 mile ride for early winter :) . Hopefully I can get in a few more before the snow flies.

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Nice..

·
Registered
13,798 Posts
At first I though that I don't seek to find cemeteries, but then looking back (Watson, Mineral), I guess I did.:p

Very nice picture's! The entry way to the Central City Cemetery is pretty cool. To bad you didn't have time to wander around looking for interesting things, but with temperatures dropping, I get it! Apex looks like it's a neat place to do some exploring.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
nice pics. that's a good sized box on the back to carry your stuff. Do you ever use the front rack?

·
Registered
188 Posts
I found a Confederate cemetery near my house that actually has only a foot trail or TW trail to get to it. There were a couple of plots that had wood and screen wire A frame covers over them. It looked like a chicken house. There were awesome masonic headstones with great detail in the engraving. The local church plus a few family members I would guess ,that keep it mowed and clean. I deleted the pictures I took or I would post them.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Cool pics! I hope to spend some time in Colorado one of these days. There's a lot of neat stuff to see. Thanks for sharing your ride with us.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
At first I though that I don't seek to find cemeteries, but then looking back (Watson, Mineral), I guess I did.:p

Very nice picture's! The entry way to the Central City Cemetery is pretty cool. To bad you didn't have time to wander around looking for interesting things, but with temperatures dropping, I get it! Apex looks like it's a neat place to do some exploring.
Whenever I see one I sure like to look around. They really illustrate how life was so much different in that era.

nice pics. that's a good sized box on the back to carry your stuff. Do you ever use the front rack?
The box on the back is the Rubbermaid Actionpacker, it's been a great box and goes along for road trips. The front rack was just recently added so I don't know just yet how useful it will be. I always wanted one and found one at a price I couldn't pass up locally so I'll give it a shot.

I found a Confederate cemetery near my house that actually has only a foot trail or TW trail to get to it. There were a couple of plots that had wood and screen wire A frame covers over them. It looked like a chicken house. There were awesome masonic headstones with great detail in the engraving. The local church plus a few family members I would guess ,that keep it mowed and clean. I deleted the pictures I took or I would post them.
Some of the headstones up there are really interesting. A lot of standard markers and some very unusual ones as well - trees, log cabins, logs - all sorts! I have been up there a few times and still havent seen them all yet.

Cool pics! I hope to spend some time in Colorado one of these days. There's a lot of neat stuff to see. Thanks for sharing your ride with us.
C'mon over! Utah is on my list of places I'd like to visit - lots cool stuff in your area too! :)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Apex brings back some fond memories. When I lived up Moon Gulch out of Rollinsville, Colorado I would often ride up the jeep road continuing further up Moon Gulch from my house and eventually end up at Apex. From there I would ride up James Peak. Sometimes I would drop over the top to Saint Mary's Glacier and circle back around on another trail. There were a lot of trails you could ride on. I would ride the same trails on a snowmobile in the winter.

Dan

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I want to explore some of the old mines up in that area, and a couple of other cemeteries. James peak is still on my list, as well as heading over to the Moffat tunnel. Just need more time and a warmer day! :) Looks to be lots of great riding up there.

PS - nice looking bike ;)

·
Registered
188 Posts
When adventuring through the Central City area, I came across some very interesting cemeteries! Some of which were very old, IMO. A lot of cool stuff in that area! Just curious, what road did you take to Central City? I'm in Golden and I've only ever taken I-70 in to Central City and I'm pretty sure I'd get run over on the TW. Ha! I sent you a PM, let me know if you ever need a riding partner.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When adventuring through the Central City area, I came across some very interesting cemeteries! Some of which were very old, IMO. A lot of cool stuff in that area! Just curious, what road did you take to Central City? I'm in Golden and I've only ever taken I-70 in to Central City and I'm pretty sure I'd get run over on the TW. Ha! I sent you a PM, let me know if you ever need a riding partner.
There's 3 cemeteries that comprise the "Central City Cemetery", and a couple a bit further west that I haven't visited yet - all from the mid 1800's. Really interesting IMO.

I took Hwy 6 (Clear Creek Canyon Road) off of 6th Ave, eventually turns into CO119 and then through Blackhawk/Central City. Right in your backyard! Great road for TW's, speed limit is between 35-45 the whole way up on a winding canyon 2 lane road.

Returned your PM :).

·
Registered
188 Posts
I actually found one incredible one on accident. It was completely on accident too. Heading from Alice to Central City. I was in a state of abandonment, but still just incredible too. Amazing road in to and out of it as well. Very few properties near by. It was a super secret, but I guess I could share ;) The best way is to go from Central City to Alice (or vice versa) via Fall River Road. It's called 'Russell Gulch Cemetery'. Google should have more info on it, but a lot of neat plots there from the 1800s and, again, awesome views on the way there and back. All dirt roads too!

·
Registered
99 Posts

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
The ghost town of Caribou, CO is not that far from Central City out of Nederland, CO. At one time it had a beautiful small cemetery. However, since then unfortunately many of the beautiful head stones were vandalized. There was a fun little ride from Caribou over to the Rainbow Lakes road but I don't know if it is still open or not.
Jeep Trails to Colorado Ghost Towns - Robert L. Brown - Google Books

Victims of Time - History - Features :: GO: AirTran Inflight Magazine

Dan
Hey! Bob Brown's Colorado Ghost Towns books were my favorite Jeep guides back when I lived near Aspen.....many happy and interesting days spent hunting up those old sites....I tried to re-create those days this September in the San Juans.....first time I had been back there in 35 years. Unfortunately it rained most of the time and then a BIG snow storm hit and I was only able to do a few rides.....too bad, the TW is the PERFECT vehicle for that kind of exploring! I did get to the Old Hundred Mine tour and up to the Buffalo Boy mine and tram house, as well as Ophir Pass and a couple other rides. I escaped to Moab just before a 2 foot dump ended the season!:p

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hello RockyTFS,

We did have a very wet season here in the San Juans for a short while. It is unfortunate that your trip timing hit that. After that is has been dry until now when we are finally getting a decent snow storm. The TW once geared down is great for exploring the trails in the San Juan Mountains. It is comfortable and can get you and your gear where you want to go. For the really rough stuff I take my TLR but it is not nearly as comfortable and I can't carry my stuff as easily. But now, my TW and TLR are in the barn for the winter and I have my snowmobile ready to go. I love the solitude of winter exploring and that so many more areas are open to snowmobiles.

Dan

1 - 15 of 15 Posts