TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
13,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's Halloween month and I took a ride in the woods. I didn't see anyone until 2 dirt bike riders passed me about 2/3 of the way through the ride. I didn't see anyone before or after them. Riding to the pioneer cemetery and other grave site made me feel that much more alone. The whole ride I was looking over my shoulder. Eerie it was. Boo!

Decided to take a ride on Columbus Day. Columbus is dead right?

I was all alone

It didn't take long before I felt I was being watched

Most would take the high road. Not me. I'm taking the low road.

Is this a simple creek crossing or is it some evil werewolf trick?

Stumble across this old pioneer cemetery

Ruh Roh Raggy, I hope this shallow grave ain't fer me!

On the way home I took a break near this. I hope this isn't going to be an October trend finding all these grave looking places.

Can't wait for the next ghoulish ride in October.

·
Registered
562 Posts
That area looks amazing to ride. I have a tough time relaxing riding alone in the wilderness. I start thinking how I can get out if I wad myself or the bike breaks. Rides like this are good on a TW because it's not a bike that you push to go fast on
Where are you riding here?

·
Registered
19,580 Posts
Admiral has given us a few clues to his new stomping grounds but I won't be the first to guess his location and violate his privacy.
If I guessed correctly though their new home looks very nice with room for even more motorcycles.:p

·
Registered
13,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That area looks amazing to ride. I have a tough time relaxing riding alone in the wilderness. I start thinking how I can get out if I wad myself or the bike breaks. Rides like this are good on a TW because it's not a bike that you push to go fast on
Where are you riding here?
All of this riding was on old logging/mining roads though some have turned into ATV trails due to washouts and vegetation taking over.

I carry a SPOT in case of meltdown errr I mean breakdown and I also tell my wife or someone the general area I'm riding in. I'm now carrying a gun because I'm riding in bear/mountain lion country. I'll also carry bear spray when I finally get around to buying a can.

There are lots of single track trails in the area but I avoided them since I was riding alone. I don't want to push my luck too far though I still have the SPOT if I got froggy and rode a trail.

The riding area is about an hour north of Boise, ID around the Garden Valley No Tell'em Creek area.

·
Registered
13,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Admiral has given us a few clues to his new stomping grounds but I won't be the first to guess his location and violate his privacy.
If I guessed correctly though their new home looks very nice with room for even more motorcycles.:p
Member Map kind of. I found and moved a member map pin to the general area where I live but not exact. There is a second pin which I can't figure out how to move at our old place in Sand Hollow so, unfortunately I have a pin at two locations. However, I'm guessing not many people go to the member map.

There is another member pinned near our new place called "ridgerider" or something like that. I haven't knowingly met this rider. A few weeks ago we did see a man and woman on an XT225(or 250) and TW200. We made long eye contact but didn't speak to each other. I didn't recognize them and they were gearing up to leave so didn't want to bother them. I do wonder if he maybe thought he recognized me from forum pictures but was unsure if it was us or not so he didn't say anything.

·
Registered
19,580 Posts
Frozen Hollow in Garden Valley sounds picturesque, and hopefully not too accurate. The colorful names around SanDue's neck of the woods made me think the residents were permitted to choose their own road names, there are some goofy ones.
Admiral seems to have beautiful country with varied riding no matter what the name may be,.

·
Registered
604 Posts
If a TW rider falls in the woods and no one else is around, does he really make a sound? Oh $#!+. OUCH! Dammitt foulin filthy foul.

·
Registered
13,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The Spot is a great idea. Having one would ease my mind big time especially riding in a place away from civilization like you were. How long in time did you go out for? Not having someone with me the only thing that would make me go back is daylight, fuel or food.

I should also point out the Garmin In-Reach or similar which have a txting capability are even better though I'm not really concerned enough to upgrade from the SPOT.

Usually, my rides alone are day rides which often end in darkness because I don't want to quit. Eventually, I turn around and head back to port. On this ride, I was out for 7-8 hours cut short by fall daylight hours. My riding style (exploration) is more based on time out on the trail rather than miles. I can ride all day and only put on 50 miles. Just depends on what I find and of course how good the trails are.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Does look like purty country. Purty enough for an Admiral and his missus to retire too!! Hopin to ride the Mcgruder and some of the Sawtooths next year.

·
Registered
13,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Does look like purty country. Purty enough for an Admiral and his missus to retire too!! Hopin to ride the Mcgruder and some of the Sawtooths next year.

For the pure enjoyment of it all, allow more than 1 day on the Magruder Corridor. There are a couple in/out side trips as well. We were in a pickup camping and camped one night at I think Poet Creek and the next night at some dry camp area on the Montana side. Riding a TW up to Burnt Knob Lookout would be awesome though it's not an "easy trail". Lots of rocks and boulders as I recall. We drove up in the pickup and it was kind of bouncy. Ok, a lot bouncy. Some say Lolo trail is better and if so it must be awesome because we enjoyed Magruder a lot. Just don't pull a trailer if driving in a car or truck. They warn you it's narrow in spots and they mean it. We had to back up a few hundred yards on an exposed hillside so we could let an oncoming pickup through. Just be aware is all. Lots of burnt areas too.

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
..... Some say Lolo trail is better and if so it must be awesome because we enjoyed Magruder a lot. ......
I road a section of Lolo from the Powell campground (FS569) to Indian Grave Creek road (FS107). and back on Hwy 12 two years ago. Totally spectacular!!! 99% of this section I could have ridden my 1200GS on, but there was one eroded tight switchback that made me glad I was on the TW. This loop took about 4 hours at a leisurely pace. Fall colors were great, and best of all, there were only a small number of old burn scars well grown up in grass and brush.

Lolo and St. Joe Sept. '16 003.JPG
This was taken on 9/10/16; fall comes early up there.

Lolo and St. Joe Sept. '16 008.JPG
Indian Post Office

I definitely want to go back and ride the western section some day.

·
Registered
13,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Idaho has just spectacular riding. Great technical single track. We have started making 3 4-5 day camping trips a year up around Mackay Salmon Challis Stanley areas. A lot of the areas are burnt which i try to avoid. Great group trip....hint
You or someone like you will have to provide all the trail info. I've never ridden my TW or any motorcycle over in them woods. I've only camped and driven the logging roads in a jeep or pickup. One of my Bill Dart maps might cover that area which describes trail difficulty levels but it's in a box somewhere unpacked since the move. Got the winter to find it.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts