1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
13,401 Posts
Been lots of motorcycle accidents this year around here too. Some are the motorcyclists own fault (drunk driving, driving too fast etc), others, not so much:

Motorcyclists killed. Car stopped at sign & then pulled out in front of motorcycle rider. Lots lost on all sides. Police looking for witness in fatal motorcycle crash

·
Read Only
1,175 Posts
or if you live in a silly country where you drive on the wrong side of the road, look for people turning right.

·
Registered
13,401 Posts
Oh Boy! Mother has great courage to share her son's accident.

·
Read Only
1,175 Posts
the clip seems to be from a news program of some sort. it's surprising they would show a video of a guy dying.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Okay, send all the flame my way.....but the motorcycle rider in that video is riding far too fast, for road and traffic conditions. He passed a car on the right (yes, I know that is the correct side to pass on, in that country), but he passed in the same lane...not in a separate lane. His speedo shows he is flying down that road. Yes, the car that turned right in front of him was in error, BUT......a minimum of 50 % of the blame for that accident has to go to the rider, because of his speed. If he had been doing the speed limit, or a little more than the speed limit, then that car that turned right, would have been thru its' turn before he got there. The car was already in the act of turning, when his bike came zooming up, and closed the space that the car driver would have had to make the turn safely.

Do NOT get me wrong on this...I ride far faster than I should. I do not ride the speed limit. But I do not pass a car that is in my lane, unless I have been behind it for miles and miles, and determine that the car in front of me is doing well UNDER the speed limit, so then I will pass it...in the same lane....but not continue at super speed, when there is opposing traffic.

I have spent several years doing accident investigation for atty. Russ Brown, out of So. Cal. I have had to do accident reconstruction many times.

I am 100 % adamant that the bike rider in this case was riding far too fast, and.....HE caused the accident.
Can't say your wrong as I've known several riders that have died going too fast and over their heads.

·
Registered
745 Posts
That's the way it is in a lot of motorcycle accidents, too. People who ride like to badmouth "soccer moms in SUVs" (and I do it too), but I see lots of people around here who are pretty clueless about how to ride safely. What really gets me is when I see guys on bikes riding aggressively, following too closely, hurrying to fill any possible hole, riding in drivers' blind spot, cutting people off etc. just like they probably do in their cage. They might get away with it in their F150, but all too often they don't get away with it on their new Road King.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Riding aggressively, or let's be honest riding exactly like a fool, is no different then playing Russian Roulette. The fools that ride in this manner are very selfish also. They don't stop to think how their choice could effect their mother for example, or wife, children, you get it by now. They don't think about the person that they hit or hits them. No one wins. Doesnt matter how's at fault, won't change the outcome. People need to learn and practice maturity. First it's a thought, then an emotion, then an action, and last but not least---------- consequences. I personally am practicing maturity. Must keep practicing until I get it right. Dirts a Flyen SanDue:p:D

·
Registered
254 Posts
Indeed be carful. Myself I was one the lucky ones. I got caught out by a driver who admitted to not properly checking (she was following the vehical ahead of her) and turning left into me.

I managed to get away with a list of injuries and some loss of memory. But I also came out alive and with a renewed respect for the road and ones own fragility.

·
Read Only
1,175 Posts
Okay, send all the flame my way.....but the motorcycle rider in that video is riding far too fast, for road and traffic conditions. He passed a car on the right (yes, I know that is the correct side to pass on, in that country), but he passed in the same lane...not in a separate lane. His speedo shows he is flying down that road. Yes, the car that turned right in front of him was in error, BUT......a minimum of 50 % of the blame for that accident has to go to the rider, because of his speed. If he had been doing the speed limit, or a little more than the speed limit, then that car that turned right, would have been thru its' turn before he got there. The car was already in the act of turning, when his bike came zooming up, and closed the space that the car driver would have had to make the turn safely.

Do NOT get me wrong on this...I ride far faster than I should. I do not ride the speed limit. But I do not pass a car that is in my lane, unless I have been behind it for miles and miles, and determine that the car in front of me is doing well UNDER the speed limit, so then I will pass it...in the same lane....but not continue at super speed, when there is opposing traffic.

I have spent several years doing accident investigation for atty. Russ Brown, out of So. Cal. I have had to do accident reconstruction many times.

I am 100 % adamant that the bike rider in this case was riding far too fast, and.....HE caused the accident.

and the police agree with you. the guy driving the car got a ticket and was made to attend a driving class [from what i understand from what i read that is mandatory in the u.k. for all collisions regardless of fault, but don't quote me], but the investigation showed he was not at fault. The guy on the bike was doing ~100 in a 60. regardless of whether or not the guy in the car saw him, if he was doing the speed limit, the car would have had more time to cross before the motorcyclist got to him, and the motorcyclist would have had more time to react and slow down.

on the other point, lane splitting and passing in the same lane is legal in the u.k., and you'll notice the little hatchback moved over to give him plenty of room to pass.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts