TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My desire has been to flat tow my 1988 Suzuki Samurai and carry my Dub... After some mod's to the Zuke I finally have had time to do a dry run!

I installed a heavy duty bumper that has a hitch receiver......
I installed a HEAVY duty rack to the roof of the Zuke....

My goal was to be able to support the cycle rack and Dub from rocking and swaying via the roof rack.

Son and I got the Dub on the Rack and played with different tie down points. He is a dirt bike rider and use to do competition etc. He's racked up bikes on almost everything so at least I had experienced help.

After securing the Dub I drove the Zuke and he followed... I intentionally found some abrupt rough terrain and did not drive the Zuke like it had the Dub on the back. Son followed in his vehicle. I could see the Dub via the rear view mirror so when I hit the rough terrain I watched to see if there was any unusual movement as did my son.... We observed nothing... Whooohoo..
I drove at various speeds and jinked the steering to induce sway.. Yes there was some but it just felt like my truck when I have my 4000 lb camper on the back...So I feel comfortable with the weight back there.

After the driving test we came back and moved the cycle rack forward about 6".... Figured the rack did not need to be back there that far. I can still get the rear door of the Zuke open enough to get something out of there with the Dub back there.

Now hopefully we will make Moab this year...

0112181553.jpg

0112181552.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The picture posting is really rocky and flakey. Sorry, it just sucks. I had no option to go advanced but the posting menu looks like it is already advanced... I clicked on the manage attachments and tried to select files on my computer... It just sat there.... I tried again several times and finally it took..

Now I notice that when I reply to the thread I see that I can go advanced... Weird.

I know this should be in the post picture problem thread but just wanted to post it here too.

Jim

·
Super Moderator
5,325 Posts
No worries - tried uploading a pic from my pc last night using advanced - just got a text link - seems to be intermittent (the worst kind of fault)

If you look on the site help and support board, there's a request to duplicate it, which I'll try and do later - for the moment, it's that time of the month for a bath ......

·
Registered
13,810 Posts
When you say "flat tow" you mean like the picture below with the TW on the back of the Zuke like the dry run correct? I hadn't heard the term flat tow before is why.

Reactions: TopPredator

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
566 Posts
Love the toad. Had one (or three) for a while but not the coveted hard top. I've been thinking about doing something similar with the CJ7. Nice work. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
20,505 Posts
Some the land yacht RV folks also refer to the flat towed vehicle as a "dinghy".

·
Registered
343 Posts
Nice... I had an '86...also the JX (the Cadillac version...with the steel top..and carpet...). Moved to the other side of the country with it..and an enclosed u-haul dragging along behind it. Just a short little drive...5314 kms. Pretty sure that included 1,576,892 shifts.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice... I had an '86...also the JX (the Cadillac version...with the steel top..and carpet...). Moved to the other side of the country with it..and an enclosed u-haul dragging along behind it. Just a short little drive...5314 kms. Pretty sure that included 1,576,892 shifts.
Oh yea, even without a load one feels like they are driving an 18 wheeler... Hahahahaaa!

Mine is an upgraded version too with carpet... all orig.... I did have to do the engine last year.

Jim

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
JtsTdub:

Nice rig! I have a 2001 Bigfoot 10.6 on the back of my 99 F250 Dually conversion. Really like the rear bumper setup, custom one off?
Friend of mine and I built if from his design, modified years ago... 18" porch. Probably noticed the tubs also... We used Unistrut for the construction.

He and I also designed the ladder mounted Genny (Honda EU2000) stand... So nice.

Here is a link to the build:

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/25135064.cfm

Here is an early picture from that thread... I changed the steps to Torquelift's Glow steps... A gift from them.

101_4092.JPG

Jim

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As a note, I have flat towed this Zuke about 5,000 miles now.... My 69 VW baja has over 5,000 also.

Jim

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
I had to read a couple times to understand the roof rack is just to steady the load/keep from swaying. Try one of those hitch stabilization vice's. They really work great. One came with it on my carrier and it really works well. Very inexpensive. On my Jeep Wrangler I keep the spare tire in place as lashing to and around it really help with stabilizing too. The bike doesn't move and inch other than when the car does.
I'll say you are asking a lot of that Suzuki and it's small frame footprint with 280lbs. on it. Even with my Jeep (this is the standard 2door Wrangler) I am legally & Liability-wise overloaded according to VersaHaul recommendation. I wonder if no one sitting in the front of the car driving also have an effect. Are you able to tow the Suzuki and have the bike on it's carrier in between it and the Camper?

·
Registered
566 Posts
...I'll say you are asking a lot of that Suzuki and it's small frame footprint with 280lbs. on it.
If this helps: I loaded 10 bags of ready mix cement (600 lbs) onto a guy's rear rack on his Samurai. I didn't really notice the front end coming up until after bag 6 or so (360+lbs).

Reactions: jtstdub

·
Registered
11 Posts
What bumper did you get? I have been looking at some with the swing away tire mount. Don't think I want to carry the tw. Just want to carry a few mountain bikes.

Reactions: jtstdub

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I had to read a couple times to understand the roof rack is just to steady the load/keep from swaying. Try one of those hitch stabilization vice's. They really work great. One came with it on my carrier and it really works well. Very inexpensive. On my Jeep Wrangler I keep the spare tire in place as lashing to and around it really help with stabilizing too. The bike doesn't move and inch other than when the car does.
I'll say you are asking a lot of that Suzuki and it's small frame footprint with 280lbs. on it. Even with my Jeep (this is the standard 2door Wrangler) I am legally & Liability-wise overloaded according to VersaHaul recommendation. I wonder if no one sitting in the front of the car driving also have an effect. Are you able to tow the Suzuki and have the bike on it's carrier in between it and the Camper?

While feasible to have the Tdub on the front of the Zuke instead of the rear I have no desire to do that. If I were to want to drive the Zuke with the Bike on the front I would need a periscope..hahahaa.

As for your question about no one sitting in the front of the Zuke, having the Tdub on the rear, and flat towing, that test is coming up next month. I have a brake assist system for the Zuke when towing.. I have a rear view cam on the camper so I can monitor my Toad...or anything that is following me. I can not tell that the Zuke nor my VW baja is back there. Realize that when I drive my truck and camper I drive it like it is an 18 wheeler. I do not do any quick steering, I rarely go over 60 and I ride along with the Trucker/ Semi's.... Keep a safe distance back. We have 200,000+ miles on our camper, on 2 different trucks and 18 years...

First I will define the sway and rocking... We found that the cycle rack 2" receiver tube is WAY smaller than the bumper receiver., that pisses me off!.. Seen this a lot though. You can make that cycle sway and rock, the cycle is solid on the cycle rack but that loose fit is a killer. While the Stabilization vice is good for up and down it is not for the left right. I will probably use one for this application. I use a few of them for my tow hitch extension from the truck.. 3' with 2 vices.

The solution we have for sloppy fit is to add some welded bumps and file/grind them on the cycle racks tube to make it fit, then the Vice. Done this with many poor fitting hitch receiver tubes etc.

I do not think I can have my spare on the rear door and have the bike there. Not much clearance nor would I want to put much strain on the rear door by adding anymore strain. Besides, the Tire sits off to the right of the door. The Roof Rack really worked well. We did not need much tension on the straps to keep the movement of the bike to a minimum. We also ran a strap from the Roof Rack to the rear of the cycle rack and put about 30lbs of tension on it. This is to reduce the downward thrust of the cycle weight when a bump is encountered...

I am not planning to have the Tdub on the back of my Zuke doing any off road stuff, just get the Tdub somewhere and have fun. Wife is not, will not ride the Tdub so wherever we go she would like to see stuff too. So we can do some places with the Zuke.

As for the question about the Zuke's frame and construction... Would this concern you?

A 2000 lb stock Zuke, 4.16-1 transfercase, stock 1.3 engine, CJ springs, Stock trans, rear and front axles, 1000 lbs of mods XO cage, front and rear bumpers, thick heavy steel, 400+lbs of gear, 500+lbs of flesh...humans.... 3 times on the Rubicon trail... So way overloaded, 3500lb+ watch this Zuke do a rock!

On this trip we were with a Jeep group... Many said the Zuke would not hold together nor make it. Well it has for 3 different trips.

Jim

Reactions: Rockit

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What bumper did you get? I have been looking at some with the swing away tire mount. Don't think I want to carry the tw. Just want to carry a few mountain bikes.
Here is the rear bumper I got, 1/4" steel! ...It comes bare metal. I had mine powder coated.

I to transport our bicycles with this bumper hitch.

ZOR "Stock LIGHT" style rear bumper

1026161849b.jpg

1022161547b.jpg

1022161547.jpg

Jim

·
Registered
566 Posts
Jim. Stop it. You're making me miss the Zuk.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts