TW200 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple months ago an email came to me saying a fellow I know is alive and well in SC. I did a search and called him. Turns out I was going there over the holidays to be with our daughter and gkids. He lived an hour away and he was born in the same small town she teaches in. Went to see him while down there and did 43yrs of catching up. Here is where it gets weird. He is a cousin to my son in law. He was my commander in VN. 3000 mi separate us and my daughter marries his cousin. Even more to this one. My son in Laws dad has the same bday as me, his aunt has the same one as the wife and they both have the same name. Gives me goose bumps.

Just had to share.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Now, that's a good story. It's amazing how those things happen. I was in Garmisch, Germany once and sat at a table in a little pub. Girl sitting near me came over after a bit and asked me where I was from. Turned out we lived about 6 miles apart back in Indiana. The massiveness of fortuitous logistics boggled my mind. Oh, and the reason she came over? No, not my rugged good looks and boyish charm. My voice. She recognized what she thought was the "Hoosier" accent.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Not such a small world when you crunch the numbers involved. People all over the country walk up and start talking, and I have to ask who most are. I seem to be a big enough troublemaker people never forget. I guess everyone else is normal enough they don't stand out enough to be remembered. No wonder I'm so bored with life.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes it is a small world. I was driving a semi from Wa to Ca and we got into Palm Springs on a Saturday night at 10pm. The place was hopping. I grabbed my suitcase and had forgot my stuff, just had some shoes and underwear. Here I am in Logging clothes from the NW. Folks looked at me like "where is your donkey". Well I had about enough of that. Went into a nice lounge and asked the barmaid, where can I go where the dress code is not so stiff. She told me to go down to Dennys. Told me they had a live band and all. So, crawled back in the truck and went down there, got a beer and was dancing with a local. Someone yelled, You must be from the North!!. I thought on my, here we go. I said yes, I am from the north, he said come on over and have a seat. I sat down and we traded this and that. He had a cousin in my town, turns out he is my cousin, tossed my drivers license on the table to prove it and if I hadn't been wearing my logging outfit we would have passed in the night.

·
Registered
814 Posts
I had a girl friend in England. Years later I'm driving a truck through Kokomo Indiana and have been on a diet. For some reason a small french fry from Macdonalds is what I want for lunch. I stop in and there she is taking my order.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Used to stop at McDonalds in a little dump called Springtown, Texas, for breakfast every work day. Get my food, walking out, and hear a young lady call my name. Turn to find a table of beautiful college fresh(wo)men, one of which I tutored when she got behind in math in 3rd grade. So, one ugly old fart sitting and laughing with four beautiful college girls just passing through. We got some weird looks. A couple months ago the same girl recognized me at the grocery--she now has two kids of her own and ants me to tutor them in math. Might do it because her man is active duty MARSOC.

·
Registered
545 Posts
You do have to stop and wonder when incidents like that happen, I've had a few but here's the one that made me think I was on Candid Camera.

I lived in Oklahoma and flew up to Washington state (where I had never lived) to visit my mom and aunt. While visiting they wanted me to go to Vancouver, British Columbia (again somewhere I had never lived) with them to see their cousin who was very ill. Of course, since my mom and aunt are from England, while across the border we had to go have fish and chips for lunch. So. my mom and aunt drop me at the door of a restaurant while they found parking and used the extra minute or two to have a smoke while walking in. I'm standing alone in the restaurant foyer as a waitress comes running up to me with her arms open while telling me how good it is to see me. Of course, I thought she had mistaken me for someone. Then, she asked how my mother and aunt are and preceded to tell me she had just seen Mike, my mom's cousin recently as she started talking about his health issues. At that point I was looking around for the Candid Camera team. I mean, if you have ever been to Vancouver, it's a populated place, who could know me? Then my mom and aunt walk in and they all started hugging and chatting. I was baffled because I had never met this woman and didn't have a clue who she was but she seemed to think she knew me and for the life of me, I couldn't figure out how. Finally my mom decided to introduce me to her then the waitress was confused because she thought I was my cousin that lived in Washington at the time. So, when she asked how my mom was, she meant my aunt and she meant my mom when she inquired about my aunt.
Several years later I did move to Washington and I live in the same town as my cousin so for the first couple of years I was mistaken many times for her which I started getting used to but it did lead to some funny encounters.

·
Registered
8,243 Posts
I retired back in late '99 and we moved to Florida in 2001. Paying our bill at the Golden Corral and I heard a very familiar voice behind me while he was talking to his wife. It was a Captain I had worked with for a dozen years and he too moved to the same town and lived just 2 streets over from us. We sat together hashing over old times and to make things even stranger, on each table they had wooden caddy type trays for holding salt, pepper and other condiments and I noticed that they were made in the same town where we both worked, Ellenville, NY. Later that same week I ran in to another co worker who had also retired and moved to the same town in FL. and my wife ran in to an old HS GF who was working as our new doctors receptionist. We both started feeling really weird!

GaryL

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
When you crunch the numbers it seems there are even more narrowly missed encounters than actual encounters. I'd explain the statistics and probabilities involved but I'm not wasting effort on the deer-in-the-headlights anymore.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts