Registered
1,965 Posts
GREAT story!
Thanks for the post Fred.

·
Registered
20,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Resourceful man to initiate a well organized rescue on his own, including cairn marking pup's location on rim plus securing his ATV belay so he wouldn't pull it down on top of himself. Some selfless things we can do are truly life changing for everyone involved. :icon_thumright:

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
What a great story. When I get home tonight my dogs going to jump in my lap and I'm going to pet him with joy.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
That is a great story and is looks like that pup hit the jackpot with some great owners, its so sad he had to go thru what he went thru but glad it turned out well on the other end.

The part i don't get is WTF is wrong with someone that would do that to an animal, its just crazy in a way i cant comprehend.

My dog is a "rescue" that came from down south. She was only 8 weeks old when we got her so i don't think her history was bad but who knows what it could have been. She was in a shelter for a reason but what that reason is i don't know. What i do know is she has been as good a dog as i ever could have asked for. Still trying to comprehend how a dog that has been such a pleasure for me to have ends up in a shelter. My sister has a couple of "rescues" as well. One of them they got as a 1 year old that was abandoned and left to his own devices after the prior owner was done with hunting season and didn't need the dog any more. The dog was well trained and has fit into her home nicely.

·
Registered
20,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Rather than being deliberately placed so deep in the slot canyon by some S.O.B. [email protected]#$%^&* I feel puppy likely worked his way downstream getting progressively deeper and deeper. If Riley fell over the first insurmountable ledge he likely just kept going the only way possible...downstream. Emaciated/dehydrated appearance suggests dog got lost or dumped the previous weekend. Being either dumped or lost the pup could have wandered from gosh knows where before deliberately, or accidentally entering the slot canyon. And who's to say previous owners didn't spend hours or days searching for a beloved pet before realities of life's other responsibilities forced them to abandon search. Video's author may have judged and condemed too soon. Important thing is he did a selfless and heroic thing.
Good man to rescue irrregardless. He will get a very loyal dog in Riley.:)

When people dump a cat or dog is it more like a drive-by shooting....get it over with quickly and hope no one witnesses.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Yea I was thinking water could have gotten the dog down there - especially considering the tree that was stuck halfway down and such.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts