TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey TW2007, I know you requested plenty of trip reports to get you through your temporary respite from riding, so here goes! My brother Steve and I decided to head to Utah for 2 weeks and ride some of the mountain ranges in the southern part of the state. Our general plan was to head to Cedar City to see his son, daughter-in-law and granddaughter Journey. We then wanted to ride a series of mountain ranges on our way east to Moab. After 26 hours in the truck driving from the nortwuds of Wisconsin we set up basecamp in the KOA in Cedar City.

Adam proceeded to whip our northern butts in shape by taking us to Zion NP and hiking Angel's Landing.

The next day he pulled Journey from daycare and took us to Kannarville slot canyon for a short hike.

With the family non-riding stuff out of the way, we headed out to the Boulder Mountains north of Escalante.

(to be continued)

·
Registered
590 Posts
That does look fantastic. I was at Moab for a few days last fall, thought it was terrific. Met a retired Canadian couple there who had toured all the parks in Utah, and they said they all were great, and all different.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Our second destination was the Boulder Mountains above Escalante, UT. This range rises above the headwaters of the Escalante River and sits between Bryce NP and Capitol Reef NP. Base camp was at about 9,000 ft in Posey Lake campground.

The aspens above Hell's Backbone were gorgeous!

We headed up onto the Aquarius Plateau above our camp. This plateau runs for miles at about 10,000 ft in elevation. Lots of shallow lakes and two tracks heading everywhere. This site is definitely on the list for a future camp site!

The second day in the area we headed south of Escalante to ride the Smokey Mountain road and explore the side canyons. Pretty rocky and rough at times. Enough to cause severe metal fatigue in my Kolpin rack...

A little emergency rope work and we are back on the trail.

We left the Boulder Mts in our rear view mirrors...

and headed to the Henry Mountains.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Henry Mts are one of my favorite destinations in the world
They are reportedly the last named mountain range in the US. They sit between the Waterpocket Fold in Capitol Reef NP and Lake Powell. They are rugged and remote. It took us one hour with the truck (in 4x4) and trailer to reach my favorite remote site only 4.8 miles from the "road". I've used it on previous trips and it provide the most fantastic dawn views of the Waterpocket Fold in the world! It is located on the southwestern flank of Mt. Hiller at the southern end of the range.

We coexisted peacefully with the campsite's current occupant...

Beautiful views from camp...

The magic starts at dawn each day as the sun rises behind the mountains...

We circumnavigated Mt. Hiller on rough 4X4 roads. Lots of loose rocks and ruts...FUN!

and then returned to cold brews at camp...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After one more sunrise...

we headed to the Abajo Mts west of Monticello, UT. But first one night in a motel for our first shower in a week! Our camp was at about 8,000 ft. Clearly, late September is THE time to view aspens in Utah!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Our final destination was Moab. Our base camp was along the Colorado River near Kane Creek.

After an evening shower...

and DINNER!

we went riding on the White Rim...

and down Long Canyon and Pucker Pass...

On our final day of the trip, a rainstorm transformed the canyon country...

I hope you enjoyed the report.

Rhonda

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Magnificent country, and great photos. I especially like the one with the rainbow. Looks like you had a wonderful trip. Thanks for sharing.

jb

·
Registered
13,233 Posts
Wow!

What great pictures. I'm speechless!

Great ride report. Now I will go back to southern Utah and spend some time camping and riding. Fitting it into the schedule is another matter, but after seeing your photo's, gotta get it done no matter what!

Been on the major highways from Page-Kanab northward, but was in pickup pulling camper and in a hurry to get home. Didn't think there was much in Utah to see. Boy, I was wrong.

Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Awesome! I so want to go there!

·
Registered
78 Posts
@ Snowlady:

Any chance you have the GPS files for your trip?

I'm still compiling through routes around Moab and area.

BTW - Awesome Ride Report!!! And Pix!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
@ Snowlady:

Any chance you have the GPS files for your trip?

I'm still compiling through routes around Moab and area.

BTW - Awesome Ride Report!!! And Pix!

drob,

Unfortunately, I am a GPS noob. I'll try to come up with something to show you some routes...

Thanks for all of the great comments!!!

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Wow... I love the waterfall image, but I'd be afraid of flash flooding.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Here same ... Wow, wow...

Thanks for the sharing the beautiful riding and nature.

Specially, I really like your Base Camp. Tent.... really good and big. ( Indiana Jones... ha ha ha)

Happy and safe riding !!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Mega kudos to Kolpin!!! I notified customer service of the broken bracket via e-mail and 3 days later a replacement arrives in the mail!

Great response by them!

Rhonda

1 - 20 of 23 Posts