TW200 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
From Admiral's Housewarming Party and Group Ride this July:

Eckhart, Admiral & I were exploring our way up a narrow side hill single track climb over a ridge and into another basin when we came across this creek crossing. We had already experienced some sections of tight brush where one can't see the trail, logs where bikes had to be drug over, sidehills with little chance of an easy off-trail bike recovery, few if any places to turn around etc. So I among the crew was a little tired although only 15 miles or so into what turned out to be an over 150 mile ride.
Thus the title of the video...I typically tell my wife everything went "peachy-keen" so she doesn't worry. I didn't tell her how often I swore and grumbled before I cleared this section. I feel more mortal with each passing year.

·
Super Moderator
18,001 Posts
With my luck, "IF" I had made it through the water and rocks (which I highly doubt) I then, would have promptly fell off the cliff on the right!!! :p

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Very cool and always pretty country and landscape too as always.

Where is that in Idaho Fred? I have a friend here in NY that is considering a move to your state. Not sure when but he'll probably spend a few weeks out there in the Winter and a few in the Spring/Summer so he gets a feel for the lay-of-the-land.

·
Registered
20,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The video was taken near Admiral's new home near Garden Valley, Idaho which is NE of Boise. Trail leads over a summit to Deadwood Reservoir, a fairly large lake. Much of the Idaho batholith (upwelled granitic pluton) creates similar dramatic landforms, mountain chains & flowing rivers in the central and northern parts of the state. So there is lots of similar terrain, some Wilderness but much open to motorized recreation.

·
Registered
13,662 Posts
It's all true. I was a witness to the swear words and other grumbling noises. Next time I ride that trail, and there probably will be a next time, I'm wearing "Depends" as insurance nothing "nasty" happens. Glad you were able to recover the video. Show more I say, more.

P.S. Even though Eckhart struggled a little, he makes it look so darn easy!

·
Registered
13,662 Posts
With my luck, "IF" I had made it through the water and rocks (which I highly doubt) I then, would have promptly fell off the cliff on the right!!! :p
On a trail like this, you typically only fall just once. :p

·
Registered
489 Posts
On a trail like this, you typically only fall just once. :p
Kind-a like the film of that guy on rocky trail, on the side of a cliff, that ACTUALLY FELL, and it was all filmed, about a month or so ago! He fell what, maybe 50-60' or so, in to some water. And, he apparently was not hurt.

·
Registered
13,662 Posts
Kind-a like the film of that guy on rocky trail, on the side of a cliff, that ACTUALLY FELL, and it was all filmed, about a month or so ago! He fell what, maybe 50-60' or so, in to some water. And, he apparently was not hurt.
Yeah, the guy on Schofield Pass road was lucky. I saw another video of a guy who went over a "short cliff" and hit hard. Maybe a 20-30 foot drop. He got hurt but was rescued and lived to tell the tale and show his video. Even my son went over the bank down off the trail on a ride with me. Luckily, it was sandy side hill so no damage to bike or rider but watching his bike tumble end over end was pretty shocking

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
It's moments like this I ask myself "Is this worth risking the bike I can't afford to replace?" I have taken some slightly risky crossings but I've also declined on occasion. I may have declined this one but it's often hard to judge from video. I'm guessing it's worse then it looks.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Crossing was not bad at all.
The conversation between Fred and I after that crossing was a bit strange.
Me - “Did Kris help you get across?” (I had seen Kris scrambling to get to Fred)
Fred - “I don’t know”
Me - “Fred, did you hear me, Did Kris help you get across?”
Fred - “I DON’T KNOW” (I’m think to myself is he not hearing me as how can you not know if some one has helped you)
I ask again and Fred is now frustrated with me and explains he was concentrating so hard on getting across that he would not have noticed.

I did fall over the side a few minutes later, but was grabbed by the dense foliage and was sprung back onto my feet.
Not sure if Fred got that on film, but he was quickly there to help extract me and my bike.

Fun times in Idaho with 2 awesome riding companions.

·
Registered
20,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Aaaah, what we will do to recover a bike when things go over the edge!
Reminds me of the tale of a I believe a CT110 rider who spent a fortune helicoptering his bike out of Utah's San Rafael Swell trail called "Six Miles of Hell" , which I guess is one mile worse than this picture of "Five Miles of Hell" trail:p five miles.jpg
Anyone have more of this story? There is a plaque or sign out there somewhere...

·
Registered
198 Posts
What are the orange buttons on the bottom of your handlebars next to the clamp (L) & (R)?

·
Registered
20,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Those are clamp-on rocker switches I purchased from Amazon. My other TW has four of them in four different colors for four different functions.
On the Betty Boop bike here the left turns on and off a pair of auxiliary long range LED light pods mounted on the forks.
Right rocker switch powers up a USB port as well as a Battery Tender type standard flat 2-pole plug for battery charging, running an air compressor, run power from bike to bike, etc. Actually used that circuit once to re-charge my van's discharged battery so I could self-rescue from a back country camp (It did take awhile to charge a bit, cool bike a bit, charge, cool, repeat).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts