TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I wanted to post this so people could see and maybe save some frustration. If you are building a tw225 and you're using the ttr cases prepare for this one. I chose to use the right half of the ttr case because it was in much better shape and have been doing all kinds of checking and test fitting.

this is my case being test fit with the 6 speed. Im gonna use the left tw case because the ttr lost a chain and chewed off a piece of the case and the right ttr case because the gasket surface of that side was poor on the tw case. Pay attention to the vent. the ttr and tw vent in a different place and I ended up with neither so I had to install one. Obviously the left case was bored to match the ttr side.

Untitled by dolphaxel, on Flickr
Now here is where the kicker goes. It appears that when yami makes this case they dont run the final bore/pass on this hole. this hole is obviously just the rough case and it measures .582". the tw case has this bored to .664 after casting to give it a .010" clearance for that kick shaft

Now I think this one is common knowledge, but this hole also isnt bored on a ttr side cover.
heres another shot for visualization.

So what Im gonna do is lock this down on the mill table and bore/ream/clean the hole in the case first. then I will lower the table and install the locating dowels then bolt on the cover. this will line up the outer case so the hole is bored in the same location.

on a side note the ttr shift fork rods are a fair bit longer and the case bores were deeper to accommodate that.

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
Hey Vanilla,

Since you are several steps ahead of me in your 226 build, I really appreciate your updates and warnings!

I just went out to my workbench and it looks like I got lucky and dodged this problem. It turns out that my right side crankcase is already bored out for the kickstarter gear assembly (Thank you Mr. Yamaha :)!).

100_4750.JPG

And the kickstarter gear assembly slips right in.

100_4756.JPG

I don't know if this is important, but this is what the opposite side of this bore hole looks like. There are two different diameters and it is not bored completely through the web in the casting.

100_4753.JPG

p.s. I will be pulling that starter today and will get it mailed off to you this weekend.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
good deal. Your cases are from an xt correct?

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
boy is that strange. lazy bastards. mine is an '01 motor. I wonder what prompted that change. For reference the case was stamped 01 on the inside. it also looks like they faced yours where the shaft sits. Do you have a clutch cover to snap some shots from around that spot handy?

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
thats what I was after. I would be interested to know if anyone has an already drilled one on there bench. I'm guessing that yami faced that as well when they drill it. this kicker is gonna be the end of me I think and I never use it! But like a seatbelt I would rather it there and never use it than not have it and need it.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
It doesn't seam to me that drilling the case for the kicker shaft should be that hard. The recess is there on the outside of the case for the seal. The shaft itself will not be in contact with the case.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
between the two TTR225 motors i have, i hope at least one has the same set up as brian's. there is such a variance with these conversions, depending on xt vs ttr, and model variation, makes all of them interesting.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
it is interesting to me that one year to the next and mine doesnt have the finish pass for the kicker. I was under the assumption that the kicker would fit any 225 with the exception of the ttr side cover not being drilled. also a fair warning the finish hole is no standard drill bit size. Ill keep you posted on how that goes.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I need a little help here. Does anyone have a cover with no seal in it? I need this measurement. I thought that the seal was just gonna press in there, but now I think there is supposed to be a finish pass there too. here is what it measures before its cut.

here is the seal measurement. there is no way that is gonna fit and live to tell about it at 59 thou interference. If I can't get this measurement form someone else Ill just measure a bore and seal for something else and use that number.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks. I have the one on my bike, but I cant think of a way to measure it short of pulling the cover off and popping out the seal. I don't really want to tear into that motor. If you have a way that isn't gonna be problematic for you that would be great. thanks

If no one is able to get you this information, I have side cover that I can pull off and measure for you.

Too late tonight though.

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
I've got a parts bike that I pulled the the kickstarter out of, but unfortunately I put that plug into the hole to keep the critters out. The oil is already drained so it won't take long to pull the side cover, pop the plug out and take some measurements.

By the way, what size did you bore the case out to for the kickstarter shaft?

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I cant remember what the exact number came out to. I measure it up in the morning. closed up shop a while back. I had a tw200 right case half that of corse had the machine work done so I copied that into the ttr225 right case where mine hadn't been final passed. then popped on the outer cover and matched the location and bore size. I wanna say it was like .008 over the size of the shaft. I will get you a real number in the AM as well.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Vanillagorilla1, thanks for sharing this new insight about the finish work needed to install the kicker using ttr cases/sidecover. I am getting ready to tear down my engine to do the 6 speed conversion. I am using the TW case and TTR clutch cover. I will be following this closely, thanks for posting and sharing this information.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
here you go fellas
shaft dia .668

hole bored .673 for a .005 clearance. this gives it a little wiggle. again that measurement was taken from a known inner case and the little wiggle is the same as my complete motor.

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
Here you go Vanilla,

Picture of plug in cover. Both plug and seal can be easily pushed in just using your fingers.

100_4784.JPG

OD of plug.

100_4769.JPG

ID of through bore.

100_4771.JPG

Picture of hole/case. The case is painted, so it is difficult to distinguish between what is a cast surface vs a machined surface.

100_4774.JPG

ID of seal/plug seat area.

100_4776.JPG

1 - 20 of 21 Posts