TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So took a ride up to Braswell Mountain to find an abandoned train tunnel. It was built around 1870 and abandoned 1980 or so. Thee are two tunnels in this group of mountains this is the Braswell Tunnel there is also the Brushy Mountain tunnel that is part of the silver Comet Trail. The Silver Comet Trail was an abandoned line that runs from Atlanta Georgia to Anniston Alabama, the rail was removed and the path was paved for bicyclist, joggers. walkers and hikers.

It was a little work getting in to the tunnel as not many venture there now so trails now are mostly used by hikers and 4 wheelers.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Cool!

Reactions: NxtGoRnd and Ken

·
Registered
634 Posts
Very cool!! That's the best riding.....exploring!

I know trains were smaller than current, but looking at the tunnel they were smaller than I imagined.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Very cool!! That's the best riding.....exploring!

I know trains were smaller than current, but looking at the tunnel they were smaller than I imagined.
In 1980 rail workers covered one entrance with dirt you could go through the tunnel but had to reverse or turn around and go the way you came. The mound of dirt has eroded and washed into the tunnel over the years and water carries more dirt in with it. Full size trains were running this route previous to 1980.

·
Registered
634 Posts
It looked like some dirt may have washed up in there, but wasn't sure. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
I thought it was a train for Snow White and the 7 Dwarfs as small as it looks. Dirt has washed in makes sense.
Nice pics.

·
Super Moderator
14,611 Posts
Good stuff, I love this kind of exploring. Way cool!

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Way cool!
What's that gizmo on your left handlebar?

Reactions: NxtGoRnd

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Way cool!
What's that gizmo on your left handlebar?
Yep, USB charger and cigar lighter style plug with on and off switch. many off the Chinese manufactured ones are wired backwards so the center is ground and the case is hot works with some things not others. My Garmin Street Pilot blows fuse if you plug it into the lighter.

I have one that gives you your battery voltage it is wired wrong also because of the circuit board it is not as easy as reversing the wires or polarity.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cool. That's not far from me. Might have to go check it out!
Give me a shout if you want company, I did not explore as much as I wanted It is a long walk out for me anyway. Mosquito and Tick repellent highly advised. I would love o go back in with some company.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts