TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Without seeing and riding the bike myself, I would say it's probably at least mostly normal -- perhaps with one or more minor flaws contributing to slight power reduction. As others have noted, you're starting out with only 16 CRANK horsepower from that motor -- and that's assuming the bike was properly broken in (highly unlikely, as most people don't bother) and isn't suffering from any power-sapping maintenance-related or modification-related flaws (which, again, it may well be). With the tall gearing you're running, those saddle bags (weight and aero drag), and a big guy like you with full riding gear (also weight and aero drag...), a stock-power TW will definitely struggle, especially if you're riding into a moderate to strong headwind. Compared to any "normal" motorcycle, aerodynamics plays a much bigger role (relative to available power) on small, underpowered bikes like the TW.

Some quick things to check/consider (which may or may not have already been mentioned...I'm trying to make this quick):

-gearing: maybe try stock or 14/55
-tire pressure: if it's low, this can create extra rolling drag
-air filter: if it's dirty and/or grossly oversaturated with way too much oil, this can have a significant effect on power
-drive chain: if it's too tight, this can adversely affect power delivery
-spark plugs (including gap! -- might not have been checked/set during installation?), valves, carb innards and settings, exhaust system (aftermarket?): any of this sort of thing (as you know) can certainly have a negative impact on overall performance; consider taking that all back to stock
-air intake leaks: if your TW is quite old, there could be some cracking/ dry rot on intake boots; if it's newer, something may have been installed improperly / clamps not tightened down, etc.

Of course, there are other possibilities, but again, these are just a few quick thoughts and things that you might look into.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
– but on the bright side, every man needs a hobby ……..
Haha. I just spent like 24 hours with my R3 hanging on an engine hoist in my garage: basically every damn service in the book, all completed to absolute perfection with zero shortcuts or sloppiness of any kind (there's only one way to do things IMO, and that's the right way!)... I may be a bit mad for doing ALL of this stuff EVERY time (according to service manual intervals), but for me, it's worth it knowing that I'll basically never experience breakdowns and that my bike remains in like-new condition and will for quite a long time.

I'm not sure I actually ever had any real mechanical aptitude, but I reckon I'm getting pretty damn good at this sort of work just on account of having done SO damn much of it over many years now :)

This is also why reliability/durability and ease of maintenance (and long intervals) are number one on the list for me whenever I buy a motor vehicle.

Anyway, I don't mean to create too much of a digression here.

If OP doesn't have this sort of experience YET... haha...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts