TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
1,747 Posts
Loghouse nailed it.
+1 on counter sprocket would be enough for your symptoms.
-1 on rear makes it worse.

· Registered
1,747 Posts
Stock gearing on a XT250 is 15-48.
For my current type of riding, I have considered a 16 tooth counter sprocket or a 45 tooth rear.
Either would be 1:3 gearing.
I think it would be good, on the street, in the first 3 gears, but maybe not for 4th and a concern for 5th.
I am in third completing a left turn.
The problem with 5th is the ~20 MPH difference in top speed downhill versus uphill and/or downwind versus upwind.
At ~475 miles in the past two weeks, run-in feels complete, but I am not yet holding WOT more than a couple seconds.
At less than full throttle, going up highway 95 with a headwind, typical speed is 60 MPH, whereas it could be 80 (briefly) coming back.
So, at this point, will retain stock gearing.

· Registered
1,747 Posts
BTW, I do not recall for the TW, but the counter sprocket nut for the XT250 is 30mm.
I rode around yesterday looking for a 6 point 30 mm 1/2" drive socket and only found 12 point.
12 point is appropriate for a box wrench, but why for a socket, unless a 12 point bolt head?

Yes, I can order from Amazon ($10), but not available at:
AutoZone
O'Reillys
Tractor Supply
Home Depot
Lowes
Harbor Freight

Now, back to the topic
Comments re new stock 2017 TW200:

· Registered
1,747 Posts
There may be more than one issue, such as slide diaphragm not lifting side and needle fully or tank not venting or bowl not venting or...

But suggest returning to stock gearing before any further diagnostics.

Below from post 13 link, circa January 2017:

The TW is now one month old, 496 miles on the clock (114 today) and behaves fully broken-in, but I will continue to not hold WOT for another 200-300 more miles.

Today’s observations:

1. Up a 6% grade, even at ~5,000 feet, it will pull 50-55 (trying to not yet sustain WOT) MPH in 5th gear.

2. Up an 8% grade, at over 5,000 feet, it will only pull 45 MPH in 5th gear at ~90% throttle.

3. On the level, or even up a mild grade, at 3,000 to 4,000 feet, it will pull 65 MPH with some throttle left.

4. With a slight down grade, I saw 77 MPH on the speedo a few times, sitting up straight. If speedo is optimistic by 6%, that would be 73 MPH, true. Did not hold WOT more than a few seconds, each time. On Highway 95, returning to Las Vegas, a steady cruise at 65 MPH was comfortable (excluding seat).

5. A 70+, no issue with tire handling (21 PSI front & 24 PSI rear) on asphalt.

6. Do not plan at cruising over 65 MPH. Mirror clearness starts to diminish at 57 MPH.

Reactions: Snow Fox

· Registered
1,747 Posts
According to a post from Admiral about 10 years ago it should be 128 PSI. However, not only does the throttle need to be held open, but on the CV carb, the slide needs to full up to get a decent read.

· Registered
1,747 Posts
0.862 x 125 PSI = 110 PSI at 5,000 feet elevation.

No, no slide rule. I donated my Picket to the engineering department of California State University Northridge.. it's probably in some antique case.

Until the OP returns gearing to stock, continuance of this thread is likely an exercise in futility.

· Registered
1,747 Posts
If a larger counter was installed, it's geared to high along with even the larger rear sprocket.
Even worse: The op has a larger counter and a SMALLER rear sprocket.

Reactions: Loghousenut and Ken
1 - 7 of 7 Posts