TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1987 and 2009 TW200's
251 Posts
It’s not bad off-road as long as I keep the revs up. I’ve done some pretty gnarly steep rocky jeep roads with it already.
Might try putting a new spark plug in and taking a plug reading to check your fueling.
I run a 15 X 44 sprocket combo in my '87, I am 6'-2, 175#.
Works well in most situations (NOT tight technical stuff)

·
Registered
1987 and 2009 TW200's
251 Posts
I ride mostly between 3000’-5000’. I’ve jetted it accordingly with the dynojet kit specs. It runs pretty well just buzzing around at under 40mph. The jet kit greatly improved the bottom end and probably the top end a little. It didn’t make it worse

Chain and sprockets are new and well adjusted. Air filter fresh, oil fresh. Haven’t checked the plug gap. What should that be? Valve springs may very well be shot with 15k miles. No air or exhaust leaks that I can find. Tire pressure is around 15-18psi, which seems high for those fat tires. Oil level normal. Gas tank is new and clean. I checked the pilot jet and it is clear. I could flush out the lines and throw on a filter.

I’ll do a compression test. What should that be? I’m not sure how to measure fuel flow. Not much to do to check the CDI unless I can get another one. I’ve heard there’s a guy in my area, Prescott, AZ, that has a pile of TWs. I think his name is Fred. I don’t know anything else. Maybe he’s on this forum? I need to ride another one so I have a comparison. I havea KTM 450 and 2002 stroke for ripping around and I don’t expect the TW to be anything like them. If I didn’t hear guys talking about how their TW cruises at 65 or faster I might not think anything is wrong. It just seems like it just runs out of power pretty quickly over 45mph. I’m twisting the grip off to go 50-55. If that’s normal I’m ok, I’d just like to know. Otherwise I’m not at all disappointed with the bike. I got it so I could throw my backpack on the rack and explore. The KTMs aren’t that fun to ride slow. And the 37” seat night even at 6’4” is not great for paddling around among boulders.

Keep the ideas coming.
The "Fred" you refer to on the forum in Prescott is PlacerLode, a wonderful guy!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts