TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
2004 TW200
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m a new TW owner. My other bikes are orange Austrian things. I don’t expect the TW to be anything like them in terms of performance, but I think the one I bought is pretty weak. It’s the only TW I’ve ever been on so I have nothing to compare it to.

It’s a 2004 with 15k miles, no smoke, not using oil. I don’t know the history. The PO hadn’t owned it very long, but he went all out on upgrades and it appears to be in good shape. My concern is that compared to what I hear people saying mine sounds weaker than average. For example, totally pinned on a flat road it can barely maintain 55mph. Uphill or head wind and not even 50mph. It’s geared +1 up front and -1 on the rear sprocket. I’m 6’4” 190 pounds, so bigger than average, but not a huge load. When I first got it I had to rev it pretty high just to keep it from stalling when taking off. I adjusted the valves and did a dynojet kit and that helped a ton on the bottom to mid. The valves were in spec when I checked them, but I went ahead and adjusted them to the middle of the spec. I hear people saying they ride their TW as a dual sport bike. I’d be a road hazard on anything with a speed limit of 50+mph or any kind of hills.

I mostly ride it off-road for exploring in the desert and woods and it does ok as long as I keep the revs up. I thought I’d be riding it from the house to get to the woods, but it’s not up to that. I did a 100 mile ride mostly on flat dirt road with some really gnarly jeep roads thrown it. I was pinned on the flat stuff all day just hoping for 50mph. I was surprised that it still got over 70mpg on that tank though.

Any suggestions or opinions welcome. Thanks.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

· Registered
2004 TW200
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks. I’ve thought of dropping the gearing back to stock anyway. The PO spent a lot of time and money getting it all tricked out but probably only put 300 miles on the bike. The chain and sprockets are new and it came with new stock sprockets too. It seems to be a bit of a PITA to change the front sprocket. Having to pull the side cover etc. I’ll report back once I get around to it.

· Registered
2004 TW200
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I ride mostly between 3000’-5000’. I’ve jetted it accordingly with the dynojet kit specs. It runs pretty well just buzzing around at under 40mph. The jet kit greatly improved the bottom end and probably the top end a little. It didn’t make it worse

Chain and sprockets are new and well adjusted. Air filter fresh, oil fresh. Haven’t checked the plug gap. What should that be? Valve springs may very well be shot with 15k miles. No air or exhaust leaks that I can find. Tire pressure is around 15-18psi, which seems high for those fat tires. Oil level normal. Gas tank is new and clean. I checked the pilot jet and it is clear. I could flush out the lines and throw on a filter.

I’ll do a compression test. What should that be? I’m not sure how to measure fuel flow. Not much to do to check the CDI unless I can get another one. I’ve heard there’s a guy in my area, Prescott, AZ, that has a pile of TWs. I think his name is Fred. I don’t know anything else. Maybe he’s on this forum? I need to ride another one so I have a comparison. I havea KTM 450 and 2002 stroke for ripping around and I don’t expect the TW to be anything like them. If I didn’t hear guys talking about how their TW cruises at 65 or faster I might not think anything is wrong. It just seems like it just runs out of power pretty quickly over 45mph. I’m twisting the grip off to go 50-55. If that’s normal I’m ok, I’d just like to know. Otherwise I’m not at all disappointed with the bike. I got it so I could throw my backpack on the rack and explore. The KTMs aren’t that fun to ride slow. And the 37” seat night even at 6’4” is not great for paddling around among boulders.

Keep the ideas coming.

· Registered
2004 TW200
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
The Tdub has 1/4th the HP and is 50 lbs. heavier than your dirt bike, so that's not a fair comparison and that gearing is killing any real trail riding.
Arizona trails are alotsa rocks below the Mogollon rim and less rock with more dirt and forests up on top. I ran 13/55 gearing (all off road) and now run 14/55 to connect the trails. With this gearing I can ride 55-60mph and possibly faster but don't cuz I'm running around with single digit tire pressures.
With a 75mph speed limit (and everyone driving 82mph) you will never safely ride the Tdub up the I-17 .

I've taken my TW up abandoned mining trails and spurs that I would not consider on my dirt bike, look up "Smiley Rock Trail", the TW just motors thru those rock chutes.
Learn to really ride the TW, the lack of horse power, suspension and brakes will make you a better rider. I practice all my stupid stunts on the TW, low and slow hurts a lot less.
As I’ve said previously I’m not comparing to the KTMs, but to what others say about their TW performance. The off-road trail performance is fine because I do actually know how to ride a dirt bike. I’m not sure what you mean by “learn to ride a TW.” The weakness shows itself when riding on a road at speed. Many people report cruising at 60-65. My bike has a hard time just getting to 50-55. People describe the TW as a dual sport bike which would imply you could ride it on a highway at highway speeds. I’m not talking interstate speeds, but just comfortably riding at 55 would be nice.

· Registered
2004 TW200
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
I have no complaints about it’s (or my) ability to negotiate difficult terrain. I bought it specifically for riding very loose, rocky, steep, sandy, bouldery areas in the Bradshaw mountains and surrounding desert. It’s the perfect bike for that. I use it instead of a quad or in places where I couldn’t even get a quad. My KTMs don’t like going slow. Their suspension is set up for going fast. The low seat and low center of gravity of the TW along with the soft suspension are some of the reasons I bought one. I can just paddle my way along through the rocks if necessary. I put a Tusk rack on the back to carry my crap for adventures.

I'm not questioning your abilities, I meant that coming off powerful dirt bikes, I had to relearn to ride the TW as you cant simply wheelie over an obstacle with a flick of the wrist. You cant pick a poor line on a hill climb and power out of it and with 6" of suspension you quickly learn to pick smooth lines. It really has improved my skills.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts