TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 71 Posts

· Registered
1,981 Posts
+1 on front and -1 on rear....just curious, is it a sloth off road? I would much rather have low end grunt than a lower rpm at cruising speed.
Sloth off-road....if you're a BIG guy, or/and, doing really hilly & technical terrain then it'll take some working the clutch & throttle vs. the stock 14/50, etc.

· Registered
1,981 Posts
Confirm the gearing is what the previous owner stated.

Are you certain you're on level ground? :) Remember being in hilly/mountainous areas, and thinking it seemed flat, but knew it wasn't because bike, or truck, was working a bit more to maintain the speed I was going....so I knew I was going uphill, just didn't look like it.

You're decent sized guy, but not that bad.....if everything is working as should, even with the gearing you've been told....on level surface you should have no issue running 60-65.

Good recommendations above to start checking through. Good luck.

· Administrator
6,937 Posts
Just do some preliminary checks – and in this order, which is mostly financial

1/ Compression test – if it passes, move onto step 2
2/ Fuel flow. Remove hose to check flow, check float level – if it passes, move onto step 3
3/ Gotta be done, air filter, intake hose, spark plug – cheap to check, needs to be eliminated
4/ Re-set jets to original – if no change, we start spending money – move to step 5
5/ Gear ratio. Life’s a bitch, get yer wallet out, new standard sprockets

That only leaves spine surgery and CDI’s, both of which are a tad expensive

If you take this one step at a time, you’ll see what works and what didn’t – do it all at once, and it just confuses things. By step 5, you’re on a minimal outlay, and most of the “process of elimination” will be done

Keep in touch with your progress, and we’ll be happy to confuse you further – but on the bright side, every man needs a hobby ……..

· Premium Member
4,813 Posts
I'll point out again to my fellow riders,
the OP says gearing is such it won't rev past 6500rpm on flat ground. (15/49 gear ratio in 5th gear outputs 6500 rpm at 55mph, his top speed on flat)

THAT is a problem, not anywhere near normal. If you think it is, you also likely have a problem.

· Registered
2004 TW200
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I ride mostly between 3000’-5000’. I’ve jetted it accordingly with the dynojet kit specs. It runs pretty well just buzzing around at under 40mph. The jet kit greatly improved the bottom end and probably the top end a little. It didn’t make it worse

Chain and sprockets are new and well adjusted. Air filter fresh, oil fresh. Haven’t checked the plug gap. What should that be? Valve springs may very well be shot with 15k miles. No air or exhaust leaks that I can find. Tire pressure is around 15-18psi, which seems high for those fat tires. Oil level normal. Gas tank is new and clean. I checked the pilot jet and it is clear. I could flush out the lines and throw on a filter.

I’ll do a compression test. What should that be? I’m not sure how to measure fuel flow. Not much to do to check the CDI unless I can get another one. I’ve heard there’s a guy in my area, Prescott, AZ, that has a pile of TWs. I think his name is Fred. I don’t know anything else. Maybe he’s on this forum? I need to ride another one so I have a comparison. I havea KTM 450 and 2002 stroke for ripping around and I don’t expect the TW to be anything like them. If I didn’t hear guys talking about how their TW cruises at 65 or faster I might not think anything is wrong. It just seems like it just runs out of power pretty quickly over 45mph. I’m twisting the grip off to go 50-55. If that’s normal I’m ok, I’d just like to know. Otherwise I’m not at all disappointed with the bike. I got it so I could throw my backpack on the rack and explore. The KTMs aren’t that fun to ride slow. And the 37” seat night even at 6’4” is not great for paddling around among boulders.

Keep the ideas coming.

· Registered
1,747 Posts
There may be more than one issue, such as slide diaphragm not lifting side and needle fully or tank not venting or bowl not venting or...

But suggest returning to stock gearing before any further diagnostics.

Below from post 13 link, circa January 2017:

The TW is now one month old, 496 miles on the clock (114 today) and behaves fully broken-in, but I will continue to not hold WOT for another 200-300 more miles.

Today’s observations:

1. Up a 6% grade, even at ~5,000 feet, it will pull 50-55 (trying to not yet sustain WOT) MPH in 5th gear.

2. Up an 8% grade, at over 5,000 feet, it will only pull 45 MPH in 5th gear at ~90% throttle.

3. On the level, or even up a mild grade, at 3,000 to 4,000 feet, it will pull 65 MPH with some throttle left.

4. With a slight down grade, I saw 77 MPH on the speedo a few times, sitting up straight. If speedo is optimistic by 6%, that would be 73 MPH, true. Did not hold WOT more than a few seconds, each time. On Highway 95, returning to Las Vegas, a steady cruise at 65 MPH was comfortable (excluding seat).

5. A 70+, no issue with tire handling (21 PSI front & 24 PSI rear) on asphalt.

6. Do not plan at cruising over 65 MPH. Mirror clearness starts to diminish at 57 MPH.

Reactions: Snow Fox

· Registered
2,254 Posts
– but on the bright side, every man needs a hobby ……..
Haha. I just spent like 24 hours with my R3 hanging on an engine hoist in my garage: basically every damn service in the book, all completed to absolute perfection with zero shortcuts or sloppiness of any kind (there's only one way to do things IMO, and that's the right way!)... I may be a bit mad for doing ALL of this stuff EVERY time (according to service manual intervals), but for me, it's worth it knowing that I'll basically never experience breakdowns and that my bike remains in like-new condition and will for quite a long time.

I'm not sure I actually ever had any real mechanical aptitude, but I reckon I'm getting pretty damn good at this sort of work just on account of having done SO damn much of it over many years now :)

This is also why reliability/durability and ease of maintenance (and long intervals) are number one on the list for me whenever I buy a motor vehicle.

Anyway, I don't mean to create too much of a digression here.

If OP doesn't have this sort of experience YET... haha...

· Premium Member
286 Posts
Its this kind of report that makes me think something is wrong with mine.
This is very valid. Any one of the “old-timers” here could sort this out if they rode your bike. These TWs are well-known by many here. I hope you can do a comparison. Go find Fred.

FWIW: I’m 170lbs, my TWs have 14/47 gears. They do 70 on the flat easily… WOT. A 65 cruise speed at 6,000’ happens. You can figure this out.

· Registered
216 Posts
I would agree with just changing back to stock gearing it is just geared to high and it sounds like you have the sprockets. I know that sum can go faster but with stock gearing and 18psi mine is good for 60 on flat ground if I hit rolling hills will bog down to 55 pretty quick. Off road is still low enough not to slip clutch a lot or need over revved

· Registered
5,332 Posts
Damn, all this sounds like too much work/and or thinking to Hoot...Ol' Blue is at 8000+ miles with everything, except the front tire, pretty well stock or replaced stock with same, and I can still hit 65mph get around 80mpg, and I'm at 5'10" and 185...

Makes me glad I kept it stock... 😁

{photo Canyonlands/March 2015}
Tire Wheel Cloud Sky Land vehicle

· Administrator
6,937 Posts
I like to think my TW200 is fairly typical, pretty much standard, not tuned for speed etc – it’s a 1998 JDM, no carb mods, no fannying around with the pilot screw, just as it comes out of the box. Fresh oil, fresh air filter, fresh battery – but that’s about it - (all other mods don’t affect speed) – 14/49 sprockets, revs freely throughout the range

Rider is 6ft, 170 plus gear, and wears an armoured jacket to catch the wind, riding at sea level

On a windless day, and on the flat, I can wring 65mph out of that thing, and maybe push 70mph downhill if I’m feeling suicidal. Into a headwind, more like 60, and into a headwind and uphill, closer to 55 to 60. At 65mph, the engine sounds as mad as a box of frogs, and closer to 70, like it is going to explode just before it rattles my teeth out

I’m happy with that, it’s what I’d expected, I know the engine won’t grenade on me, and most of the roads here are 60mph limit anyway (with enough twisty bits to keep the traffic at that speed – with the odd tractor thrown in – hooligans don’t last long in these parts)

Now let’s take a look at your situation. Previous owner gets hold of it, can’t believe it’s that slow, traffic constantly overtaking (you know the routine), and tries to get it to run faster and not to sound like it will blow up at any second – changes the sprocket gearing, realises that just makes it worse, and dumps the bike

You rock up, buy the thing, and can’t believe the mess the PO has made of it (and he has)

Things you’ve done right, is to try a dyno jet for your elevation, and resisted pratting about with the exhaust. Thing you did wrong, was stick with that gearing. It’s killing the bike – that and your tire pressure. The manual it a bit hit and miss, but I’d suggest 19/19psi to see how fast it goes on tarmac, and then lower as needed for trail use – 15psi is low for highway speeds

At an elevation of 6000, sure, it starts to tell, the old school carbs are great for maintenance, but it does get a bit “hands on” at that point. Try 9000ft and see what you get - you could run along side

And thus, we return to the first question most people ask – “Is it really this slow ?” (along with how to make it faster)

The answer of course, depends on your needs. In it’s original form, the TW is capable of climbing a tree, but you cannot make a mule into a race horse

Return the gearing back to standard, and see how you get on – (put a bit more air in the tires, every bit helps) – and then what you see is what you get, and it’ll either be good enough or it won’t

But for all it’s “modern day faults”, I still bet you that TW will take you further than those oranges ….

· Registered
2019 TW 1987 TW 2001 XR250
333 Posts
Could be that by dyno-jetting the bottom and the mid, you did so at the expense of the top end

Anyhow - welcome to the board, I'm sure others will add their thoughts as to what ails you ......
Gas flow adequate to carb? I'd check the tank for restrictions. Maybe a little ether around the carb boots to see if its sucking air.

· Registered
1987 and 2009 TW200's
269 Posts
I ride mostly between 3000’-5000’. I’ve jetted it accordingly with the dynojet kit specs. It runs pretty well just buzzing around at under 40mph. The jet kit greatly improved the bottom end and probably the top end a little. It didn’t make it worse

Chain and sprockets are new and well adjusted. Air filter fresh, oil fresh. Haven’t checked the plug gap. What should that be? Valve springs may very well be shot with 15k miles. No air or exhaust leaks that I can find. Tire pressure is around 15-18psi, which seems high for those fat tires. Oil level normal. Gas tank is new and clean. I checked the pilot jet and it is clear. I could flush out the lines and throw on a filter.

I’ll do a compression test. What should that be? I’m not sure how to measure fuel flow. Not much to do to check the CDI unless I can get another one. I’ve heard there’s a guy in my area, Prescott, AZ, that has a pile of TWs. I think his name is Fred. I don’t know anything else. Maybe he’s on this forum? I need to ride another one so I have a comparison. I havea KTM 450 and 2002 stroke for ripping around and I don’t expect the TW to be anything like them. If I didn’t hear guys talking about how their TW cruises at 65 or faster I might not think anything is wrong. It just seems like it just runs out of power pretty quickly over 45mph. I’m twisting the grip off to go 50-55. If that’s normal I’m ok, I’d just like to know. Otherwise I’m not at all disappointed with the bike. I got it so I could throw my backpack on the rack and explore. The KTMs aren’t that fun to ride slow. And the 37” seat night even at 6’4” is not great for paddling around among boulders.

Keep the ideas coming.
The "Fred" you refer to on the forum in Prescott is PlacerLode, a wonderful guy!

· Registered
567 Posts
Its this kind of report that makes me think something is wrong with mine.
I know it's like a running joke on here "oh there's a guy on here who says his will do 80" but in all seriousness I've gotten mine up to 80 wide open going down hill. On a flat it'll do about 70ish. Now that's on the speedometer which is not accurate so roughly 65ish. Mine has stock number front teeth and a 47 tooth rear. I also have a dg exhaust and bigger jets. I live at about 3000 feet if I remember correctly and I weigh about 175 lbs. At 190 pounds with that thing running correctly you should absolutely be able to do 65 (on the speedometer).

21 - 40 of 71 Posts