TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a pretty new rider and looking at the TW. The only place close by has 4 of them. 2014 @ $5000+, 2013 @ $4000 (MSR class bike that was never used), 2013 @$3600 (MSR class bike with 200mi, slight scarring on headlight fairing), 2008 @ $2900+ (comes with front and rear rack already installed, 1800mi). Having read quite a bit of info, i know the bike has changed pretty much not at all since 2001. I am leaning towards the 2008, since there really is no difference other than age and it come with the racks already installed, even though I originally wanted the 2014 in blue. Not that color really makes a difference knowing in the end I can make it any color I want.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Welcome nunya!

Port Angeles is a beautiful place.

Everyone will have an opinion. Here is mine:

If the 2013 really has never been used then it would be a no brainer to choose it over the 2014 since you could save $1000 and the ONLY difference would be the color and possibly a little bit of resale value.

For the 2013 with 200 miles, I guess it would depend on how well it was taken care of over those 200 miles. If you opt for that one I would change the oil as soon as you get it.

IF you can determine that the 2008 was well taken care of then it could be a good deal. However, those first 1800 miles cover the critical break-in period. Also, make sure it does not have a base gasket leak.

If it was me, and I didn't care about color, I would probably choose the 2013 with zero miles. Or... if there was some way to determine that the 2008 was well maintained and taken care of then that would be my other choice.

And, you are right, there have been no feature changes since the 2001 model was introduced.

That is just my 2 cents.

Get one quick before the rains come.

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
Hello and welcome! If the 2008 is in good condition I'd lean that way for the cost savings alone. 1800 miles wouldn't scare me provided it looks like it was well maintained as OWT said above. Since they have four on the floor, I'd bet you could get it down to $2500...

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
IF you can determine that the 2008 was well taken care of then it could be a good deal. However, those first 1800 miles cover the critical break-in period. Also, make sure it does not have a base gasket leak.
Are they known to have this problem? I noticed just the other day, that my 2009 with now, 2,600 miles, is leaking. It was OK when I bought it last month, but maybe not. Because when I removed the tank, seat, etc., those places were packed with mud. So that tells me this bike was just cleaned very well before sold, which is why the leaky base gasket just wasn't noticeable at the time. Not really a big deal for me, as it's an easy fix for me. This winter I could fix her up along with other issues I found. It can wait till then, because it's not bad at the moment. It's just sweating right now, not a gushing leak...;)

·
Registered
41 Posts
I think buying new with 0 miles and a warranty is always best and you have control over the break in procedure. New left overs are some of the best buys in motorcycles. I bought my 2013
in July for $3500 + the usual fees and I like the color better than the too bright blue of the 2014. Just my opinion.

·
Super Moderator
15,168 Posts
Welcome Nunya. What business are you in.:D Port Angeles would be a very nice place to ride a TW. To save money, any of the "not new" TW's are ok priced. As far as the new one goes, many like the warranty which accompanies it. You'll have to weigh the pluses and minus's of that for yourself as I've never used a warranty for something new I bought.

Werloc,

2006 model years were the first one's to have the most amount of complaints. Now days, it seems to be randomly spread throughout the years. Still most of the complaints come from the 2005 on up models (more still in use than older models?). My 2005 developed the base gasket leak when I switched from Yamalube to synthetic. It was once explained the synthetic oil ran cleaner and would remove gunk plugging potential weak leak area's, (weakyleak), which then caused a leak to start. Purchasing a 2010 year gasket for any previous year was said to solve that problem. The newer gasket hadn't started to leak on my engine after the base gasket replacement prior to my engines failure for an undetermined reason.

·
Registered
210 Posts
$5000+ seems a little steep this late in the year for a '14. I just bought a '14 with 0 miles out the door for $4500. Depending on your zip code these bikes typically don't sell fast and dealers have very little mark up in them so they usually just like to clear some floor space. I'd talk them down on the '14 or the '13. I've had lots of used bikes and atvs, some great... Some ok. There's nothing like new. Just my 2 cents

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Any of the 4 will get the job done. If the older one with racks was in good shape, and I was planning racks, anyway, I'd go that route and save $2000 by the time you get TTL and prep added in. Then I'd use the $2000 for farkles and a ride expenses.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Welcome Nunya. What business are you in.:D Port Angeles would be a very nice place to ride a TW. To save money, any of the "not new" TW's are ok priced. As far as the new one goes, many like the warranty which accompanies it. You'll have to weigh the pluses and minus's of that for yourself as I've never used a warranty for something new I bought.
IN the Coast Guard stationed out on 'The Hook', most likely transferring next year. In any case, it's Port Angeles Power Equipment, been around for 35+ years. Talking to one of the owners there, they do honor a 30-day on used but he said they are pretty loose on that as they had sold a used ATV whose tranny crappy out completely 2 months later, they replaced the tranny at no charge. He was pretty adamant about what they sell and they have a warehouse for the 'questionable' machines they let go to wholesalers that never see their floor. There was no sales pitch at any point or drive to get me onto any one of them. when leaving i was leaning towards the '08 mainly due to the price and already have the racks on it. While money is not an issue, i may try an see how far down they could come off the '13 with 0 miles. I don't think they'll transfer the racks from the '08 though cause they are probably using that as a selling point. the '14 and '13new were on the floor while the other 2 were in the previously-owned building with various other machines.

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to reply.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
Welcome, my 2 cents. What I learned from all these guys is replace the chain on what ever you buy. I bought my bike with 3000 miles after reading the posts my eyes were opened. Both my sprockets and chain are shot at 4500. I do also have a base gasket leak on my 2006. The money just keeps adding up!
rick

I love the smell of burnt oil in the mornings. A little spin off Robin Williams. May he rest in peace

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
The 2010 base gasket is a fairly reliable cure for the leak. I've had no recurring problems with any I've used that gasket on.

·
Registered
567 Posts
IN the Coast Guard stationed out on 'The Hook', most likely transferring next year. In any case, it's Port Angeles Power Equipment, been around for 35+ years. Talking to one of the owners there, they do honor a 30-day on used but he said they are pretty loose on that as they had sold a used ATV whose tranny crappy out completely 2 months later, they replaced the tranny at no charge. He was pretty adamant about what they sell and they have a warehouse for the 'questionable' machines they let go to wholesalers that never see their floor. There was no sales pitch at any point or drive to get me onto any one of them. when leaving i was leaning towards the '08 mainly due to the price and already have the racks on it. While money is not an issue, i may try an see how far down they could come off the '13 with 0 miles. I don't think they'll transfer the racks from the '08 though cause they are probably using that as a selling point. the '14 and '13new were on the floor while the other 2 were in the previously-owned building with various other machines.

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to reply.

Stationed out on, "The HooK"? I was out on Ediz Hook (Spit) for the first time last Sunday. I live across the water from you so, when you're ready to explore on your new TW....count me in. :D

On my other bike but had fun going out on Ediz Spit....exploring the area.

Sky Beach Sea Cloud Mountain

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
I guess there's no chance of retorquing it to maybe slow it down, but think it's to late for that due to bike having 2,600 miles. I've done that in the passed with success on a few different bikes. It's leanking from the right front corner right where the stud/bolt is.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Y'all got me worried about this base gasket leak. Is this an issue that is thought to have been resolved on the newer bikes? 2014 for example.... Or too soon to know?

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Werloc, the several base gaskets I've done were all torqued properly. That is always the first thing I've checked. Never got lucky.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well i got the 2013 with 0 miles today, 4700 out the door, i was okay with that. Going to research on here before I ask questions about stuff so i don't waste anyone's time. Was long day for a lot of reasons so no riding until the morning.......still looking at what various ppl say about the break in period.....

1 - 20 of 38 Posts