TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So...

A while back I made an attempt to create a gauge/indicator cluster. While it was a good adventure in fabrication and customization, I feel like it changed the front end of the TW too much.

So avoiding incorporating speedo and indicator lights, I'm working on a more modular, universal, and extra customizable accessory control box.

The idea I came up with (in case you want to make your own) is using SAE plugs, marine-grade switches and plugs, hot and ground bus bars (in case there is a need for more stuff), the box had to solve a problem or assist the operator some way, and had to be easily mountable/dismountable without interfering with speedos and indicators.

So, I decided on a handlebar mounted solution, chose a box that was generous with real estate for wiring and plugs, but can easily center mount with a handlebar clamp and a RAM mount. This way it's got an adjustable angle for view, and will most definitely be sturdy without being permanently attached to the bike.

The initial box I'm using might still be a little wide, but that's ok for the first build or in case I find some other cool accessory to add.

Right now the plan is to have an SAE input with an on/off push button, usb plugs, volt meter, DC cigarette lighter plug for compressors/other accessory power needs, and an on/off switch for auxiliary lights or whatever you want to plug into the output (controlled by the switch).

Here's the mock/up after drilling the box out:

Wood Musical instrument accessory Camera accessory Audio equipment Gadget

Camera accessory Film camera Cameras & optics Audio equipment Electronic instrument

Bumper Automotive lighting Table Wood Electric blue

Table Bumper Office equipment Wood Trigger

I don't have the power input side drilled out yet (still waiting on some more SAE surface mount plugs and my marine grade on/off push buttons). The cigarette lighter plug will go in later (trying to figure out if the lid or on the front of the box would be better, just to keep it out of the way).

More to follow...

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is a thing of beauty, Blake. But, while I love the Ram mounts, I wonder why are you making it removable? Why not just hard mount it?

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
I was just thinking if you just didn't feel like having it on the bike, or if you're parked at a hotel overnight, you can just pop it off and take it inside for the night.

The other thing I was thinking about was adjustability, being able to set the angle of the box or lower it/raise/tilt to the riders desire.

You could totally hard mount it though or just drill some holes and zip tie it to the bars.

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, so this actually wasn't too bad wiring everything up.

Now I've got a box I can attach to my bike that gives me a voltage read, controls my aux lights, provide USB and a DC aux power outlet for compressors, or a really loud boom box to blast quiet riot from.

All that's required is an SAE input from the motorcycle battery, and aux lights tied into an SAE connector:

1. power from battery applied
Table Wood Automotive tire Eyewear Bumper

2. Power applied to box via push button:
Table Circuit component Wire stripper Passive circuit component Electrical wiring

3. Power applied to aux lights, Christmas lights, flood lights, etc.
Table Circuit component Wood Desk Audio equipment

All ram mounted to a handlebar mount:
Wood Auto part Office supplies Trigger Gun barrel

Just needed something to stay busy for a day or two. Fun little accessory build.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Ok, so this actually wasn't too bad wiring everything up.

Now I've got a box I can attach to my bike that gives me a voltage read, controls my aux lights, provide USB and a DC aux power outlet for compressors, or a really loud boom box to blast quiet riot from.

All that's required is an SAE input from the motorcycle battery, and aux lights tied into an SAE connector:

1. power from battery applied
View attachment 220373

2. Power applied to box via push button:
View attachment 220374

3. Power applied to aux lights, Christmas lights, flood lights, etc.
View attachment 220376

All ram mounted to a handlebar mount:
View attachment 220380

Just needed something to stay busy for a day or two. Fun little accessory build.
All this to stay busy... Man, you gotta build you a log house!

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts