TW200 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So im headed to the carolina's next month to visit family and plan to tak my bike and ride some. Its all stock so was looking for ways to extend my range. Ive seen most the common additions, ie, clarke tank, msr bottles, etc... One i havent seen is the Acerbis rear fuel tank. I mainly ride roads, and thought it could be a nice way to add some range. Looks like it might just be at home on the rear stock rack.

http://justgastanks.com/product_info.php?products_id=351

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I'm just going to be honest. If you are on the East coast of the US how far do you think you will ever be from a gas station. You said yourself you mostly ride the street ...pull over and fill up...hell your azz will be sore after 100 miles any way
have you ever ridden it til you ran it out of gas? In my experience your feet, hands and butt give out before the stock fuel supply.

Why bother with the hassle and expense of something you won't likely use. That's my nickel.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did think ok that also...... Im not sure of the area i will be in will have enough gas stations.....although i will have a chase truck ( wife and kids) so thats easy enough to toss a can in the truck. Last time i rode in this area i could easily go 120 miles on the back roads an not find a station. So all my routes were mapped out from station to station.....

·
Registered
7,145 Posts
Neat idea. Also get a larger main tank and you will have some very serious range at your disposal.

I for one don't like anything behind me for those times I crash. The tank wouldn't be so bad with the rounded corners but I have seen guys with large plastic milk cases. The corner of one of those boxes catching you in the back has got to hurt. I removed my wooden ammo box for that very reason. (See avatar.)

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
The Clarke tank is the easiest, cleanest solution to give you more range. It bolts right on, it took all of ten minutes. That would be my recommendation. No rusting, no dents, more fuel it is a great buy. I have one and love it. I have never even come close to running out of gas with this tank. I think there is even a group buy going on right now. Jump in on it!

You telling me if you put a dot on the map anywhere in the Carolina's you can draw a 120 circle around it and there isn't a gas station inside that circle....come on?

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I would go with the clarke tank (which I'm thinking of doing). I have one of those koplin fuel packs (1 1/2 gal) that attach to bracket on back rack. I have it laying flat because like Tony said, you really don't want something behind you if/when you crash or need to hop off. I like the fuel pack because easy to not take along if your planning a ride less then 100 miles. After a 100 miles I'm usually ready to quit riding anyway. I figure with full stock tank and koplin I can go about 225 miles. put a clarke on and I would be carrying 4 gals of fuel and could go approx 300 miles?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You telling me if you put a dot on the map anywhere in the Carolina's you can draw a 120 circle around it and there isn't a gas station inside that circle....come on?

Haha no that's not what I'm saying at all. That would suck if true. The rules I have rode before were close to 80--90 miles without finding a station along the route I was taking. These were truely back roads of the mountains. Might not see another soul for the entire ride once off main streets. And cell phones don't work where ill be going. But I'm sure the stock tank will be fine for now. Like you guys have said after 80-90 miles I'm sure my butt will need a break.

I like the idea of the Clark tank but just not the looks or the fact that decals won't adhere for long if at all. The large sides that are blank look strange to me.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
There are some other options. I understand, and agree with those that suggest that realistically the stock tank will work fine for most. It is simply a matter of being vigilant in always keeping the tank 'properly' filled. As will all modding, sometimes the direction we go has little to do with our 'real' needs. My bike looks like I am ready to ride to El Labradoddle. I like that look and someday I might end up there. At sometime, I was prepared with this. More expensive but possibly more readily transferable to your rototiller or weed eater (
). It worked great for me, and allowed me to bring the weight inboard. Without a doubt (my opinion) a Clarke thank is a more practical option. Gerry

http://tourtank.com/TourTanks.html

·
Registered
39 Posts
The Clarke tank is the easiest,.... I think there is even a group buy going on right now. Jump in on it!

Is there a group buy on the Clarke Tank? I couldn't find that post by search. I would like to know what the group price is if there i one. Thanks

·
Registered
715 Posts
Sorry - Kind of resurrecting an old thread here. (search works good!)

I found a used, rear mount, Acerbis 1.6 gallon tank locally for $50. It was on a TW200, which is cool, picking it up tomorrow.

Has anyone else installed this tank on a TW - have pics? I have a rear rack, so it will be a neat, custom mount.

I will post pics of install soon.

This is the one:
Acerbis Rear Auxiliary Fuel Tank

Thanks!

·
Registered
715 Posts
Hello,

I really like the Pelican case mounted to the back of my TW - but it leaves no room for my auxiliary fuel tank.

So, I'm thinking of mounting the fuel tank right to the top of the Pelican case. Thoughts? With your experience, will this be too high and vibrate too much?

Thanks!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts