TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been talking to my family and friends on how to survive an Active Shooter situation. Unfortunately as a father I never expected to have to teach my family how to survive these situations, but its real and I damn sure don't want them to freeze. It's spooky listening to interviews of people who are involved in these shootings. Most people are in complete disbelief and don't know what to do. I found a couple videos that I have used to teach them how to survive these horrific events. What have you done to train your love ones?

Signed. Unarmed in MD.

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
A lousy situation indeed, and sadly most people{including many of us} would freeze for that extra few seconds and be SOL.....we can train all we want, but train and jumping into correct action are not always going to go hand in hand.:(

·
Registered
806 Posts
Never thought on that. My family consists of my wife and I. Both well trained shooters.
I have hunted a fair portion of my life, been in some tense scenes with wild pigs, hunting with dogs an spear.
Doubtful I'd hesitate, not as sure of my wife. In my current "brain damaged" state i'd be even quicker to shoot.
No consequences as I am "compromised" mentally, too bad I'm not a criminal.
My Daddy used to worry about this stuff only is wasn't Arabs
it was "Commies" before that it was the influx of Euros. Nothing new, just better technology to kill.
I'd be real befuddled to have kids these days myself for many reasons.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I own a couple shotguns and rifles but thinking of applying for concealed carry, the way the world is going...

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It truly has changed from when we were our kids age. Lauren's response to this subject is... "Dad I'm in Hawaii no body would do that here". Of course I told her not to under estimate crazy killers.

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
I learned the tricks of the trade as an Air Force Cop back in the later 60s and early 70s....and whether it was my time in Vietnam or stateside...the thought and momentary hesitation, because of the consequences involved in shooting a perp, whether the actually enemy or some drunken fools was always in the back of your mind....with the Politically Correct nature of today's world, the police and military are screwed...shoot some asshole and some clown like Al Sharpton or Barack Obama will be calling you a racist killer, if you kill one of their kind. If you plug a Goat Loving Muzzie in the Middle East, you are likely to be charged by the Military Brass....

It's no win situation and exactly why few are willing to join the military or police force....and some that do are no better than the perps......and so down the tubes go this once great Republic, and you can sugar coat it all you want, Political Correctness and Diversity are a Cancer, and the patient {USA} is on life support.:mad:

·
Registered
20,169 Posts
I was an active shooter yesterday plinking away at long range with my target pistol until I ran out of ammo. A quick trip to Cabellas found only empty shelves for .22 but lots of .17 HMR rimfire. Maybe I should invest in one of these 3,000 fps wonder rifles and just shoot at stuff a lot farther away.:p IMG_4194.jpg

·
Registered
163 Posts
Carry a weapon if you are licensed. A good guy with a gun will generally stop a bad guy with a gun. I teach active shooter classes to employees. Unfortunately, most of them would not be allowed to carry a gun in their work environment due to the law.

Most active shooters are not prepared to deal with active resistance and will take their own life when confronted with a law enforcement officer or good guy with a gun.

Be very careful in "gun free zones"..Just my two cents..

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
The first video provides solid advice. I think the only way I'd try to hide versus run would be if I could physically see the shooter and he/she was near me and/or blocking nearby exits. I was always the fastest runner in school; I can still sprint like a bat out of hell!

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
The'll tell you in the ccw class here in the P.R.O.K. that if you ever have to use your weapon in self defense that you should expect to be sued in civil court. This worries me not, as I don't have any money, so sue away! My life is valuable. Got to keep your head on a swivel, shoot to kill, and ALWAYS be the first to call 911! Any lawyer will tell you to do that last one for sure!

The old saying "The things you see when you haven't got a gun!" It's so true. m.

·
Registered
163 Posts
The'll tell you in the ccw class here in the P.R.O.K. that if you ever have to use your weapon in self defense that you should expect to be sued in civil court. This worries me not, as I don't have any money, so sue away! My life is valuable. Got to keep your head on a swivel, shoot to kill, and ALWAYS be the first to call 911! Any lawyer will tell you to do that last one for sure!

The old saying "The things you see when you haven't got a gun!" It's so true. m.
Very true. Call 911 and then say the following after the police arrive:

1. This person tried to kill me (your explanation)
2. I'm willing to sign a complaint (your complaint)
3. There is their weapon (the evidence)
4. Those people saw the attack (any witnesses)

Most important:
5. I will cooperate 100%, but first I need to speak to a lawyer. (your silence)

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Very true. Call 911 and then say the following after the police arrive:

1. This person tried to kill me (your explanation)
2. I'm willing to sign a complaint (your complaint)
3. There is their weapon (the evidence)
4. Those people saw the attack (any witnesses)

Most important:
5. I will cooperate 100%, but first I need to speak to a lawyer. (your silence)
Excellent advice and a blabbermouth will get you in more trouble than you will ever know. What you saw will in no way match what others claim they saw so just shut the F up once you state he was going to kill me. As much as I hate to say this, a cop is not your friend after the fact.

GaryL

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
While teaching new recruits at the academy we did some play acting classes after which we had all the recruits write down what they had just seen in a report. The written reports became a very scary eye opening experience for all the instructors. Consider the recruits the Witnesses and just let me assure you, they all saw the scenario we had played a big bunch different and both the instructors and the recruits learned a major lesson that Eye Witnesses are about as useful as screen doors in submarines. This is why the very best advice is to state very forcefully that you were in fear of you life and the very next thing you say is Speak with my lawyer for further comments and then clam up. Cops have no right to question you any further after you ask for an attorney and you have every right to shut the F up. I can't express how many times I have listened to people talk themselves right in to jail and even prison.

GaryL

·
Super Moderator
17,941 Posts
Screen doors on a submarine!! ha ha ha ha... Good one G.

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
Speaking of as Useless as a Screen Door on a Sub.....Ladies and Gents, I give you:

Sub Screen Door.jpg

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Thing is about most ccw holders is that they couldn't hit a standing target from 10ft in a panic using stubnose small caliber pistols. I would suggest that anyone who packs do a lot of practice to be able to hit consistently at 50yds at a target the size of a dinner plate. It is not how many bullets you have, it is being able to put them on target under stress. Use a small cal for practice and a good hole puncher if you have to use it so no one can stand up in court against you.

Remember, the first shot from a protected area is your best one, take the time,make it count.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Thing is about most ccw holders is that they couldn't hit a standing target from 10ft in a panic using stubnose small caliber pistols. I would suggest that anyone who packs do a lot of practice to be able to hit consistently at 50yds at a target the size of a dinner plate. It is not how many bullets you have, it is being able to put them on target under stress. Use a small cal for practice and a good hole puncher if you have to use it so no one can stand up in court against you.

Remember, the first shot from a protected area is your best one, take the time,make it count.
Can we agree to disagree? 95% of all gun battles take place at under 15 yards! The majority of those are even closer and sad to say that just about any fool with a gun can do some damage. We don't have to hit the X ring in an active shooter situation but it sure is good to at least knock the SOB off kilter.

GaryL

1 - 20 of 54 Posts