TW200 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone got one? I've had the 5 in one for about a year and it works great. Weather prediction is a little wonky now tho. We have been running well below freezing the last few days and all it shows is no rain for the last few days and a prediction of light rain to come. Really. They could not even include a snow program when it's obvious? Seems a little lame.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
I use a chain hanging from a tree limb. If the chain is dry, it is not raining. If the chain is wet, it is raining. If the chain is pointing to the side, it is windy, and the direction
it is pointing indicates the direction of the wind. Always accurate.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Try "Dark Sky".
I do a number of large events outside and this app has been 99% accurate in real time.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Anyone got one? I've had the 5 in one for about a year and it works great. Weather prediction is a little wonky now tho. We have been running well below freezing the last few days and all it shows is no rain for the last few days and a prediction of light rain to come. Really. They could not even include a snow program when it's obvious? Seems a little lame.
yup, we use one. it's just as good as the forecasters

·
Registered
8,346 Posts
Television Weather Man was my first choice for my second career. I always wanted a job where I could be dead wrong most of the time and get paid well any way. Just yesterday the prediction was clear with sun and I looked out the back window to watch it snowing to beat the band. In all honesty about the only prediction they ever get mostly right is the wind direction. 99% of the time the winds here on the east side come out of the west so it doesn't take a brain surgeon to get that right.

GaryL

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I like mobil radar apps. The data is not real time up to 15 minutes delay but you can watch the loop and see how the front is traveling. You see approaching weather systems with in a 2 hr window. Another great website is windytv.com global weather based an real time data with model forecasts for future reference. Pinch and zoom anywhere on the planet. Pretty cool.

·
Registered
19,551 Posts
I have a La Crosse home weather station with the aerometer mounted above peak of my roof and the temperature sensor and wind speed transmitter mounted under a open deck.
Fairly accurate for basic time/temp/barometric pressure/ moon phases, and trending weather functions.
After 15 years the jeweled bearing in the wind speed detector are likely getting dirty or there is a build-up of oxidation and/or dust as the station tends to under-report wind speed. Plus I wish the sample refreshing rate for the recorded wind gust speeds was quicker. But not bad for ~$80 and it is one clock I do not need to reset for Daylight Savings Time.:)
I have learned that when the house shakes and the picture window bows in and out the gusts must be around 35 or so. The La Crosse recorded a 62 mph gust once, can only guess if it sampled the peak speed and reported it accurately.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I've got 2 cheap tabletop Accurites here (1 on dining room table and 1 in my office) and one at the cabin. They're little more than a clock/calendar/indoor/outdoor thermometer and it supposedly predicts rain, snow, cloudy, or clear. It has a snowflake today and that's what's falling outside so I guess it works. They're handy for all the functions. I look at it often.

My phone with 1Weather app is my favorite to check the forecast.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
I have an accurate.

All in one. Not a good design. The unit is mounted off of a parapet railing. The wind speed is OK, but the temp reading is falsed by the nearby black roof. The rain is fairly accurate, as measured by a std rain gauge nearby.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts