TW200 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was changing my oil today, 3rd on the tw since I've had it, and sure enough, broke the filter cap bolt. The top left bolt as you look at the cap just wouldn't tighten. My book says 7.2 ft lbs and yet the bolt just never would seem to tighten to that. I was being uber careful, but I kept having an ever so slight leak from the cap between that bolt and the bottom allen bolt, so I kept trying to snug it up just a little more. I can't get a pair of pliers on it. Anybody have any luck getting these out with an e z out?

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
There shouldn't be any tension on it now that the head is broke off, so try an awl or pick or tiny center punch or something like that and just try to turn it out backwards. Tap it a couple times, spray some oil in there, if you can get movement, you probably can get it.

·
Registered
7,051 Posts
If it leaks you need a new o-ring.

As you tighten the bolts it goes from loose to tight against the new o-ring. You tighten a little bit more and you will feel and see the new o-ring being compressed. When you reach metal to metal contact just a teeny tiny little itsy bit more -- much much better to little than to much -- and you are done. I set my oil filter cover and valve covers this way and they have never come loose. It is a little bit more than finger tight.

Maybe set you torque wrench to 4.0 ft lbs and constantly check to see if they are coming loose. My guess is with a new o-ring they won't come loose and you won't have any leaks.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
I just snug mine. I have broken small bolts before going by torque specs. I have gotten broken bolts out with a paper clips many times. I just unfold the paper clip, bend it in half and then cross the ends to look like a small X. Put it in the hole and turn. Usually a bolt head doesnt break completely flat "in my experience" so there will probably be a small edge that might catch the clip. I thought the guy that told me to do that what joking but it has worked a handful of times. You can probably tap it out a size bigger or use a heli-coil.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
... I just unfold the paper clip, bend it in half and then cross the ends to look like a small X. Put it in the hole and turn. Usually a bolt head doesnt break completely flat "in my experience" so there will probably be a small edge that might catch the clip. I thought the guy that told me to do that what joking but it has worked a handful of times. You can probably tap it out a size bigger or use a heli-coil.
Smalls,

This sounds like a very useful idea. I am having trouble envisioning the "X". Could you explain a little more for a dummy like me, or do you have a photo?

Thanks

·
Registered
229 Posts
seriously , I think you need a new inch pound 3/8 or 1/4 inch drive torque wrench and 60 inch pounds max . using a big scale torque wrench is just asking for trouble . Get the breaker / click type , much cheaper than a case . Speaking of cases ! Now don't go at it with a big old drill and ruin the thing . Take the case off and bolt it down to the bed of a GOOD drill press and do or have it done correctly or u will which U did . Price of a new case ? $$$$$ Actually not so bad at $ $81 case and $13 gasket .new bolt $1. Less than $100 total . New Torque wrench $20 on E bay with free shipping and a whole lot less work.
Look on your face when bolt broke ? PRICELESS . LOL just kidding . would not wish that on Obama. Ok you got me on the O bomb man thing

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies. Tried the paper clip trick. No help, but a very cool idea that I'll keep in mind. Tried cutting a groove in the top of the bolt to use a flat blade screw driver, also, no help. I wound up getting a set of screw extractors from sears. They sell a set of 4 extractors called "micro" extractors. The second smallest one, (#8, 4mm) did the trick. No problems at all once I figured out what size to use. And yes, I see a smaller torque wrench in my future.

·
Registered
229 Posts
wound up getting a set of screw extractors from sears. They sell a set of 4 extractors called "micro" extractors. The second smallest one, (#8, 4mm) did the trick. No problems at all once I figured out what size to use. And yes, I see a smaller torque wrench in my future.

Love it when a plan comes together
thanks for the update and screw extractor thingy

·
Registered
139 Posts
I got out an exhaust stud on my TW by first soaking it with penetrating oil and subsequent tapping. To speed it up, I always use an engraver or something to 'buzz' on it. BTW, does anyone else remember that six parts automatic transmission fluid and one part acetone is 6 times more effective than WD-40? I thought that was an interesting post. But the paper clip idea is great! -Dell

1 - 11 of 11 Posts