TW200 Forum banner

321 - 340 of 370 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
“Conversation was never begun at once, nor in a hurried manner. No one was quick with a question, no matter how important, and no one was pressed for an answer. A pause giving time for thought was the truly courteous way of beginning and conducting a conversation. Silence was meaningful with the Lakota, and his granting a space of silence to the speech-maker and his own moment of silence before talking was done in the practice of true politeness and regard for the rule that, “thought comes before speech.”
– Luther Standing Bear

·
Super Moderator
17,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #326
Matthew 7:24-25 (NIV)

"Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock."

·
Registered
19,777 Posts
" Hell, yes, we're going to take your AR15..." -Beto O'Rourke speaking on plan for mandatory gun confiscation.

·
Registered
19,777 Posts
Dave Chappelle commenting on recent free speech limitations on comedians: "Second Amendment exists just in case the first one doesn't work out" .

·
Super Moderator
17,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #331
Isaiah 61:7

Instead of their shame my people will receive a double portion, and instead of disgrace they will rejoice in their inheritance; and so they will inherit a double portion in their land, and everlasting joy will be theirs.

·
Registered
449 Posts
“Once I was in Victoria, and I saw a very large house. They told me it was a bank and that the white men place their money there to be taken care of, and that by and by they got it back with interest. We are Indians and we have no such bank; but when we have plenty of money or blankets, we give them away to other chiefs and people, and by and by they return them with interest, and our hearts feel good. Our way of giving is our bank.”
– Chief Maquinna

·
Registered
391 Posts
If you do see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office, it's always in the reserved space.

·
Super Moderator
17,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #334
Matthew 24:42-44

"Therefore keep watch, because you do not know on what day your Lord will come. But understand this: If the owner of the house had known at what time of night the thief was coming, he would have kept watch and would not have let his house be broken into. So you also must be ready, because the Son of Man will come at an hour when you do not expect him."

·
Registered
19,777 Posts
"Only a white man would cut a foot off the bottom of a blanket and sew it onto the top thinking he had made a longer blanket" -some unfortunately dead Indian speaking about the clock change for Daylight Savings Time.

·
Registered
391 Posts
It's not whether you wake or snooze, but how you sift the bane.

·
Registered
183 Posts
"weebles" wrote this a few years ago at this forum:

I have no use for talk that includes mockery, derision, and belittlement of others. But that isn't what this post is about
This post is about something I don’t know if there is a word for.*
It happens when people are claimed to be dangerous by some sort of group association.
Its bigotry to be sure but it is more sinister even than that. It stalks the human race with a bloodlust.
It partly sounds like hate mongering, it partly sounds like fear mongering, but what it sounds most like is blame mongering.
It seems so effortlessly to sway the violent and the unbalanced.
Then the discontented.
In the very worst scenarios, not especially violent or unbalanced or even particularly discontented people just ordinary people, are persuaded to join in.
The causes that cloak it can appear as virtuous, righteous even but the more likely outcome if it gets its hooks in deep enough is grief and pain. Most likely for the completely innocent.
From a distance, over the internet, there is little way of discerning the motivations of a person promulgating this kind of talk. Perhaps they feed on the reactions of others, perhaps it is a lark for them to wind people up, perhaps they can't see what they are in the grip of, perhaps the feeling of it coursing through their veins gives them a high, there is no way to know. Internet talk comes cheap.
Good sense dictates never to respond online to any of it.
It goes against my grain to leave it unopposed but I also know that it will serve no meaningful end to respond. Sometimes the best course of action is to just spend time doing something else for a few months.
I try again later because there is so much that I enjoy about the interactions on the forum that are based in good will.
Acrimony isn’t rewarding for me, others may enjoy it, but this isn’t a post about acrimony, this is a post about something far beyond that.

weebles

·
Registered
183 Posts
"I was baptized by the priest at the Tongue river mission when I was almost fifty years old. My wife and our two daughters were baptized too. I think the white people pray to the same great medicine we do in our old Cheyenne way. I do not go often to the church, but I go sometimes. I think the church people are good, but I do not believe all of the stories they tell about what happened a long time ago. The way they tell us, all of the good people in the old times were white people. I am glad to have the white man churches among us, but I feel more satisfied when I make my prayers in the way I was taught to make them. My heart is much more contented when I sit alone with my medicine pipe and talk with the great Medicine about whatever may be troubling me".

“Wooden leg” From the Book “A warrior who fought Custer” published in 1931

321 - 340 of 370 Posts