TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a TW that came with a Cycleracks rear rack and 2 gas packs that hang off it. I wanted to also have a water pack, so I took a piece of wood and using a router created a slot for the rear rack so I could secure a water pack on the rear. The RotoPAX Pack Mount secures the wood in place and then the water pack keeps it from rotating. A
quick easy modification, though it does add more weight on the rear.
Wheel Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Tire

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Tire

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
I bought a TW that came with a Cycleracks rear rack and 2 gas packs that hang off it. I wanted to also have a water pack, so I took a piece of wood and using a router created a slot for the rear rack so I could secure a water pack on the rear. The RotoPAX Pack Mount secures the wood in place and then the water pack keeps it from rotating. A
quick easy modification, though it does add more weight on the rear.
View attachment 220271
View attachment 220272
Wheelie time with that extra weight in the rear.

·
Registered
22,193 Posts
Wish my garage was as neat as Wyoming Soldier's. :)
If there's a welder lurking in there somewhere it could beef up the TW's frame cross member before weight of water possibly over-stresses the weak mounting points.
Maintaining tight fasteners sure helps extend life of Cycleracks and their mounting points. If one comes loose grief often follows.

·
Super Moderator
15,005 Posts
I'm surprised at how concerned people are about the weight of 1 gallon of water when I see pictures of these racks stacked with camping gear and with panniers hanging off the sides.
Howdy WyoSoldier,
I think some folks on here are just trying to help by warning you. Maybe (even me) how we say it on a forum doesn't come across as well as if we say it in person. Sometimes maybe the other way around haha!
One of the main issues with weight location on the rear of the Cyclerack is the breakage of components. I was once a doubter of cross member/Cyclerack breakage problems until it happened to me. I've had 3 of my 4 TW's break the rear subframe cross member. I suppose it's possible these cross members could also break without a heavy rear load but since my experience was with cargo loaded on the rear I'll error on the "too much rear weight" side in all my cases. I've also broken the Cyclerack center support mount twice on my cycle rack. It was easily fixable by welding.
With weight even further back of the rack, this does put more stress on the components I've mentioned. One forum member fashioned a hockey puck to place between the Cyclerack and rear tail portion of the TW to alleviate some bounce. There's a technical term for this leverage bounce but I live in Idaho and can't think of it right now. haha. I'm just mentioning these things because we've had some issues and experiences with our TW's outfitting them like you are. However, as you mention, some riders may have never had a problem with a setup like yours. I think it's our nature to report a problem than to say we haven't had a problem so this could be why problems are mentioned more than successes.
Anyway, good luck with your project and enjoy your adventures!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts