TW200 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a front rack and it has the usual problem that a load there blocks the headlight. I would like to use the rack for day trips hunting, might occasionally come home in the dark with a load if I shoot a deer, etc., mostly on logging roads. I live in a remote location, not going to be in traffic very much.
I got the rack with the bike, it looks like a Cyclerack. Tubular metal frame.
So, I am considering adding some light to the front edge (or bottom)of the front rack. Maybe unplug the low beam on the headlight and rob power there, use the stock hi/lo switch to select. Or I could get power elsewhere and rig a new switch?
Anybody done this? What lights did you use? How many watts can I powerup? Ideas on power/switch to make it work, and still have the headlamp for street use when not loading up the rack?:confused:

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Might be cheaper and easier to just swap racks and sell the old one. I have this one on my bike. But this is a picture from the Man Racks site. Mine are on here somewhere, but I'm too lazy to hunt em up.

Welcome to ManRacks Click the page when it opens and it takes you to a TW.

I hate doing what I just did, not answer the question and serve up a "why don't you", but in this case it seems justified since it's an easy fix and the TW electrics ain't superman quality anyway.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the Welcome.
I 've been just looking, did not see an old thread about this idea so had to break silence.
RBM, I saw those tie down/lights on another thread, was just wondering about what else, maybe something to mount further forward so the rack and its load would not block the light? I guess I could figure a way to do that with any small LED, say 9 watt, and cobble some kind of attachment. I read someones idea to undo the low beam just so you could turn off the headlight altogether when you didnt need it, thought maybe that is a way to switxch the LEDs, but then it would be one or the other, not both. Both might be nice sometimes. I could cobble that together too, just figured someone had already broken trail on this idea....
Borneo, that looks like a nicer rack than mine, but smaller. Is the higher position more tippy, since it is moving the center of mass upwards? Could I enlarge it by mounting a panel on it?
Along those lines, I had thought of just mounting a milk crate upside down on my existing rack and cutting holes through the front and back for the headlight beam to shine through, then putting the load on top of the milk crate. Not a pretty image, but neither am I. Oh and Yes I might be a redneck.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
There are headlight relays that are double pole. High amp goes to one terminal when control power is on, to another terminal when control power is off. Wire a switch from the battery for control power and use the low beam hot for high amp supply. Easy peasy.

·
Registered
19,219 Posts
The tie down mounts use very affordable lights like these, only a couple of bucks, black or silver frames, two diameters, white, yellow, red or blue light2x Custom Black Anodized Aluminum 6500K Xenon White 4.5W SMD LED Eagle Eye Lamps Back…
Complete light bars can be very affordable, a member has this under $20 unit mounted below headlight, you could mount this one to front of rack and wire directly into low beam pigtail SingPad Slim 18w Flood Beam LED Work Light 12V LED Spot Work Light 1800 ...

·
Registered
19,219 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good ideas here. Thanks!
Qwerty, I like that double pole relay, let me toggle back and forth. Source for that?
Question on electrial output: How many watts load can I add with these lights and not pull down the battery if I am still using the headlamp? The tie down ones are 9w each. Now Fred is talking two 18w. I know I would like the light, but can the power plant make it all go when I am coming home slow with a load, and leave the battery fresh to use the next day?

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Any auto parts store will have the relay. I'll get a part number when I get home.

Going slow the charging system will barely keep up with the stock lights. Fortunately, you can get much more light with LEDs with same watts.

Converting all other lights to LEDs will gain about 9 watts. The 2001+ will handle an additional 9 watts. An AGM battery will suck up a lower charge voltage than a typical wet cell, so there is hope.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
There ya go. Qwerty to the rescue...again. Every time I climb the stairs I get lost. Had I known when I first registered, I assure you my handle would have been "Basement Borneo"

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
My choice on Tdub2 was to can the stock headlight and mount a pair of LED headlights, both with hi/lo, on a bracket above the gauges. They each draw about 22 watts on low, 44 watts on high, and are as bright as HID conversions, with much better patterns that don't annoy oncoming drivers on low. They are wired to go to high separately, so I can run one on low and one on high, which draws 66 watts, only 6 more than stock, easily compensated for by converting other lights to LED. Both on high on the highway doesn't seem to bother the battery at all, so it's all good so far.

LED headlight is the best option for the early electric systems that have only a 35 watt bulb. The low voltage at idle will not bother the LEDs, and these lights won't kill your battery. HID intensity on early TWs is now doable.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Started another thread because this one disappeared. Perhaps a mod can smerge the two. Part numbers and wiring instructions for selecting two light circuits with a simple switch and relay in the new thread.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Qwerty, I saw the new thread, and can follow your good instructions. It is very helpful having part links/numbers, I have to mail order everything.
Just ordered the relay, a waterproof rocker switch for control, and the LED light bar that was suggested by Fred.
I can make a mount for the switch and the light from aluminum angle.
A little wire, a few connectors, some special magic words and I should be in business. Thank you guys very much.
Maybe I can post a picture when it is done....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts