TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never been to the Adirondacks. I've held back last year because i was too lazy to ride 4-5 hrs from Rochester. But I am seriously considering going to Adirondacks once the winter clears up. Are there any TW'ers out there who would be interested in meeting me? I plan on renting a cabin/lodging too as I'll be too tired to go home the same day after riding and I'd like to spend at least 2 days every few weeks there. My days off are on Wednesday and Thursday so that might affect the meetup, depending on everyone's schedules but I think at least the forests will be clear for us on a weekday more than on the weekend.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Where at in the Adirondacks? Having been stationed in Rome and the Mohawk Valley, then living there post Air Force for awhile in the early 70s....I know that covers a lot of land...From Boonville to the Vermont Border :D

·
Registered
736 Posts
yeh there are a few there. look at the post about Russ NE ride, its pinned. We are looking at having some ride/campout sort of deal, NY is one location we are looking at

·
Registered
132 Posts
I would like to throw my hat in the ring for hosting a meeting, ride, round-up, camp out or whatever. I've got 550ac.in the Catskills, Forestburg NY. The back roads around the area are terrific, Plenty of camping space, there are two cabin bunkhouses with full amenities and a fantastic pond for fishing boating etc. any interest?

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I would like to throw my hat in the ring for hosting a meeting, ride, round-up, camp out or whatever. I've got 550ac.in the Catskills, Forestburg NY. The back roads around the area are terrific, Plenty of camping space, there are two cabin bunkhouses with full amenities and a fantastic pond for fishing boating etc. any interest?
That sounds like the begining of a yearly rondevous for the NE riders. I can see it now, the Sturgis of NY, TW roundup.

·
Registered
8,358 Posts
I will be in for all the rides in the NE and doing one in the ADks sounds good too but where? AS most of us NYers are very well aware, the communist government of this state buys up millions of acres with our tax dollars and then closes them off to just about any recreational endeavors with motorized vehicles. I am sure there are some nice road trips up in the mountains but not so sure there will be any off road excursions we could take without having to worry about Johnny Law on our tails looking to confiscate our rides and lay major fines on us. ATV clubs up in that area could have some info but I have had very little success with getting in touch with them for off road riding. Keep me in the loop if you have a plan.

GaryL

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not sure where we would meet in Adirondacks. If anyone else has had a lot of fun in Adirondacks and can confirm the law is friendlier to us in the Catskill Mountains, then Catskill mountains it is. The driving distance is only half an hour more for me. Wish i lived closer to one of these mountain ranges so i could have a better idea as it's a 4-5 drive for me from Rochester :(

·
Registered
8,358 Posts
Not sure where we would meet in Adirondacks. If anyone else has had a lot of fun in Adirondacks and can confirm the law is friendlier to us in the Catskill Mountains, then Catskill mountains it is. The driving distance is only half an hour more for me. Wish i lived closer to one of these mountain ranges so i could have a better idea as it's a 4-5 drive for me from Rochester :(
Hey Doc, Sorry if I misled you. The law is the same here in the Catskills as far as off road adventures. Gregor's camp has a bunch of acres that are private land and perfectly legal to ride on. Between Greg, Me and Bucknutz (Dave) who all live right here we do know of some nice secondary road rides to take as well as some seasonal use roads not too far from the camp. I am working on permission to ride a few other private properties such as a Boy Scout with 10,000 acres and lots of old logging trails. They welcome the local ATV club for various charity ride events and might allow us to do a ride there. I would not even care if they charged maybe $10 each to ride, it would be worth it. The one thing I do know right now is that insurance on your bike is required and they will make you sign a paper saying you will not hold them responsible if you crash or hurt yourself. That BTW is 90% of the reason NY does not allow off road riding, every asshole who gets hurt gets a freaking lawyer because the land owner was negligent for allowing that 300 year old Oak tree he ate to be in his path.

Rochester is very close to 4 - 4.5 hours from here. This is my home town but I lived in Hilton for 13 years and made the trip more times than I care to remember. The wife is from Brockport so we still make the trip but her family is getting short as we grow up. It is an easy run, 390 South to 17E and set the cruise for 70. My TW can do 100 MPH on the trailer.:D

Oh Yeah, I want to do the ADK run too just for some new scenery. PA also has some good off road rides worth looking in to but I have to say no go on the NJ runs, if you trailer a bike in NJ you pay double the tools for the trailer and they have a tool booth every quarter mile or so it seems. It cost me almost $60 in tolls the day I went to pick up my first TW and I was only 100 miles into NJ. The Garden State Pkway and NJTpk are ruthless roads built to generate revenue.

GaryL

·
Registered
8,358 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
trail riding in NY is very limited, PA (Allegheny) has some nice rides and its about the same if not shorter distance from Roc. I have a camp near Pike, NY and was going to do a few trips south on secondary roads.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Does anyone here live halfway between Rochester and Adirondacks or halfway between Rochester and Catskills? I'm gonna need a nap after 2-3 hrs of riding. I've ridden 10 hrs in one day before at highway speeds but i had 10 hrs of uninterrupted sleep before doing so.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Does anyone here live halfway between Rochester and Adirondacks or halfway between Rochester and Catskills? I'm gonna need a nap after 2-3 hrs of riding. I've ridden 10 hrs in one day before at highway speeds but i had 10 hrs of uninterrupted sleep before doing so.
I have always taken some food (cold pizza) with a cold beer under a tree for my rest time on the first day of a trip.

·
Registered
8,358 Posts
Rochester to here in the Catskills where our meet might be takes close to 5 hours in a car and at 65-70 MPH. I would plan on a full days ride on a TW and probably take a more scenic route such as through Geneva and the finger lakes down Rt. 14 I believe. Personally, I would strap the TW in my pick up or on a trailer for the road trip unless I had the time and cash to make it a two day trip getting here. Probably do 150 miles to a motel or camp ground along the way and hang out for an evening to start the next leg of the journey. I believe from my house here in Forestburgh up to my home in Hilton was close to 285 miles south on 390 to Rt. 17. Traveling on Rt. 14 along Seneca lake and numerous other secondary roads would be a gorgeous trip but would add considerable miles and time. My ass hurts just thinking about that trip in a day.

GaryL

·
Registered
50 Posts
I grew up in the Lake Placid area of the Adirondacks. The high peaks are a massive area of "forever wild" where virtually all trails ban motorized vehicles. They even forbid bicycles. I once bicycled into Cold River to fish. The trail was an old horse trail that was pretty rough in places. Now that has been totally closed to bicycles but not to horses who do much more damage. Most off road riding would be limited to private property. There are some secondary roads that are dirt that are open to vehicles. I went to school at Paul Smith's College and there were a few back roads around that area that could be off road rides. Good luck! Lots of beautiful scenery in the area. Wish I could join you but now I live in central PA and ride mostly on the back roads around my home.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
AS most of us NYers are very well aware, the communist government of this state buys up millions of acres with our tax dollars and then closes them off to just about any recreational endeavors with motorized vehicles.
GaryL
What I hate is the loggers tearing up state land and I'm forbidden to ride there for fear that I might "ruin the ecosystem"!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts