TW200 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every time I make an adjustment to my chain, one of the adjusting plates will roll as I tighten up the bolt. I do not have a torque wrench so I like to make it really tight. To me, it seems like the plate moves way to easily without even being really tight. What do ya think?

·
Registered
385 Posts
They can be finicky. The adjustment plate is often called a snail due to the shape. Several have tack welded the HEAD of the axle bolt to the snail to aid it keeping it in one spot. Then you can use a wrench to adjust the tightness on that side. And on the other, as you tighten the nut, it is easier to keep that snail in place. I'll go look for the picture of the welded snail. It is strongly suggested that IF you use this tip, to ensure that the snail is completely flat against the head of the bolt. Clamp it in a vice before welding.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
Before you tighten the axle, give your rear wheel a kick to push it forward and ensure that the scallops on the snail adjusters are tight against the posts on your swingarm. This will prevent them from turning when you tighten your axle.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
You ain't holding your tongue right. Adjust the plates, make sure the pins are settled into the scallops, tighten just until the nut is snug (no play in any components), kick tire forward to make sure pins are bottomed in scallops, torque her down.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I held the tire in place with my knee, but the movement happens every time. It is frustrating as heck.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Try snugging the nut a bit more. QWERTY is spot on. When you get it just right, with tire kicked, the snails will stay where you want them. Practice.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I think it's a little easier to do one particular side plate before the other and have the swingarm propped up. I don't even use a torque wrench for the axle nut. Medium to almost too tight snug is fine for me.

·
Registered
385 Posts
LOL Cro! Mine's 240. I have to be very careful with those small nuts and bolts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts