TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
13,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll start my Moab report with the Pre Moab not in Moab Ride. One of my northerly forum friends (ejfranz) from northern North America stopped by for a couple days of riding in central North America before we all headed to our TW200 2019 Moab gathering.

Not slickrock nor sand but it presents a challenge none the less.

It was very nice riding weather but the high country trails were still snowed in so we had to stick to the lower elevation trails. We had a couple obstacles to keep us entertained! :)

I'm not 100% sure but I don't think the trails in Moab will look like this. That's my thought anyway!

To be continue

·
Registered
13,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Moab 19 Begins Day 1 Part 1/2 MM Tusher Wash 3D

We start our 2019 Moab Adventure with an easy does it route through parts of M&M, Tusher Wash, and 3D Jeep trails to start a week of riding. Mrs. Admiral and Purple may have a different take on "easy does it route" though as there was a section or two which were not so "easy does it". Oops.:D

Nothing like starting a ride with a quick view of "shirtless man". I think he may have been asking for trouble in a crash...or too much sun without sunscreen. I'm thinking of a Forest Gump quote right now.

Who doesn't like the views at a rest stop eh? Like riding in a stadium.

Nature's parking lot. I like it.

Mrs. Admiral an Donzo like the route so far.

Who is this? Reminds me of Bugs Bunny. I like bunnies 'cept when they eat their own crap (see Ripley's Believe it or Not thread, 15 May 19, and you'll know what I'm talking about).

Nice view of Monitor and Merrimac Buttes. This is shortly after Mrs. Admiral's stunt riding go awry. Luckily, Mrs. Admiral wasn't hurt enough to stop riding. (update, she had an MRI on her knee yesterday. Waiting for the results. Hopefully, not amputation!).

Determination Towers

Hearty TW riders riding down Tusher Wash

More TW riders heading down the Tusher

To be continued in Day 1 Part 2

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
This terrain is so foreign looking to me. I can't imagine what the traction or lack of would be like. Otherwise is looks like off trail riding is much easier in this landscape then most.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
This terrain is so foreign looking to me. I can't imagine what the traction or lack of would be like. Otherwise is looks like off trail riding is much easier in this landscape then most.
After a week of riding at Moab and then another week of not riding I went out with my son and did some BC single track. Man we were tired after just a hour.
In Moab you're not throwing the bike from side to side as in woods riding. You do have to pick some good lines when tackling ledges.
Traction is unbelievable on slick rock and if you have a good rear tire the sand is not an issue - just air down and keep on the throttle.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
That was a great day! Some beautiful and some intense stuff. The last hill on the video was good, rough and steep lol..

Video definately smooths things out...visually... ��
Yeah...everything is easier when it's filmed. Off camera everything is much more extreme.

·
Registered
13,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah...everything is easier when it's filmed. Off camera everything is much more extreme.
I think your statement is what Purple was talking about in his write up. In a few episodes upcoming the camera captures a few moments here and there which aren't easy...even to the camera. We need to gasp, grunt, cry (out-loud), and scream in bloody terror a little more when we see a difficult area to enhance the viewing experience a little more. :p

·
Registered
19,413 Posts
But Kris, with your humorous editing we can now hear some great helmet-to-hemet dialog, plus the occasional gasp or grunt from Lori. That helps enhance the viewing experience.
Nice occasional glances back at the others. Otherwise as the leader in videos it is hard to realistically convey the feeling that you are leading a string of a dozen more riders.
Another great video!

·
Registered
13,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
But Kris, with your humorous editing we can now hear some great helmet-to-hemet dialog, plus the occasional gasp or grunt from Lori. That helps enhance the viewing experience.
Nice occasional glances back at the others. Otherwise as the leader in videos it is hard to realistically convey the feeling that you are leading a string of a dozen more riders.
Another great video!
Thanks Fred. Yeah, the helmet communicators will now sometimes add some humors elements to the video. While editing each video, I see many humorous things in our rides. I'm gonna have an "outtakes" video at the very end of my Moab 19 series. "Leading a string of a dozen more riders"?, heck I was looking back just to make sure I wasn't abandoned and riding by myself! It's happened before...more than once! :p

·
Registered
13,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Soon after eating lunch under the bridge on Hwy 191, we hit the dusty trail.

We encountered some turbulence on this easy does it trail but it was scenic for sure

I get all giddy riding in this stuff

As Fred mentioned earlier, I keep looking back to make sure I'm being followed

Taking a break and taking in the glorious views

This reminded me of going to the ocean. In this case, the sea is rock but that's what it reminded me of.

On this trail in 2015 this was my first exposure to slickrock...and turned out it wasn't my last :D

Yup, the posse still tailing me

Sand glorious sand. Very little in-between rock and sand. Here in Moab you get big doses of both whether you like it or not. I like both for the record.

and here we are back at TW Headquarters

All the riders coming home to roost and put their TW's away for whatever lays ahead tomorrow

...well not quite. A few of us weren't ready to go to bed yet so we headed off Milts for some shakes and then a quick romp up to the petroglyphs on Potash Road.

The 3 previous years we've been to Moab and past this spot, I had no idea the petroglyphs were here. Doh!

You should stop and check them out. Don't be fooled by all the fun of riding, take in some sights as well.

To be continued, Day 2 Onion Creek-La Sal Mountain Loop Rd-Sand flat rd

·
Registered
13,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Moab 2019 Day 2 Onion Creek - La Sal Mtn Loop

Another big group ride on a loop ride through Onion Creek, Polar Mesa, La Sal Mtn. Loop road, Sand Flat and back to camp. Got col up on the La Sal Mtn. Loop Rd., and we dodged rain what seemed like all day. Thankfully, nothing but sprinkles.

Sometimes the easiest riding days are well, easy...and fun!

Riding through the Onion Creek Canyon is very scenic

We regroup after riding Onion Creek Canyon into Fisher Valley

You gotta make the correct turn at the junction to get to here (R-L, Appleguy & Fred).

They found us! ejfranz led the fast group and missed the turn and had to turn around. We in the main group were wondering were they wandered off too as we didn't see any motorcycle tracks ahead of us. (Jeff & Bananachunks)

Very steep short descent right past the gate. Makes for an interesting photo though.

Riding through the trees we get one of our first glimpses of the La Sal Mtns. So pretty from a distance.

Later in the ride there was some concern for rain.

Castle Valley

Ruh Roh, Scoob notices some global colding in the La Sal Mtn. foothills

We keep getting closer to global colding

Ain't nothing worse than having to pee when it's either cold, raining or waiting your turn for a porta pottie at a beer fest. We're going for cold today.

From here we ran down Sand Flat road into Moab and back to camp where we could enjoy the warmth of a fire...and medicine!:p

To be continued, Day 3 Dellenbaugh Tunnel - Secret Spire

·
Registered
19,413 Posts
The Onion Creek-La Sal Mtn loop was a really nice easy ride, just one more of the many varied flavors Moab has to offer. A very good outing for the group. Lost track of how many times we playfully splashed through Onion Creek.

Unfortunately the treat of rain so far from camp made it hard to relax and just enjoy the later half of the ride with friends. Eventually Plumbstraight, I and some other cotton clad cruisers broke off and descended into Castle Valley for a speedy return. Betty Boop briefly hit 75mph descending the steep grades, love the 223cc 6-speed's little bit extra performance. Strong front seemed to hit us once we got to the Colorado River where some intense wind gusts felt like they were about to blow me off into the river. First time I ever wished for a heavier bike.

·
Registered
13,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The Onion Creek-La Sal Mtn loop was a really nice easy ride, just one more of the many varied flavors Moab has to offer. A very good outing for the group. Lost track of how many times we playfully splashed through Onion Creek.

Unfortunately the treat of rain so far from camp made it hard to relax and just enjoy the later half of the ride with friends. Eventually Plumbstraight, I and some other cotton clad cruisers broke off and descended into Castle Valley for a speedy return. Betty Boop briefly hit 75mph descending the steep grades, love the 223cc 6-speed's little bit extra performance. Strong front seemed to hit us once we got to the Colorado River where some intense wind gusts felt like they were about to blow me off into the river. First time I ever wished for a heavier bike.
Indeed, the storms rolling through the area made for some breezy conditions. Had to find refuge in the bushes to use as a wind-block just to eat lunch. Blustery winds added to the campfire stories for the day. Good times!

·
Registered
13,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Moab Day 3 Dellenbaugh Tunnel Secret Spire

Had a hard time deciding where to ride today with the ever-present rain clouds. Cleared up enough for us to try our luck and explore Dellenbaugh Tunnel/Secret Spire area. We made it but just by a whisker. It started to downpour about a minute after we arrived back at camp. Yup, good times.

The whole TW camp was trying to decide where and if to ride today. Weather forecast called for more rain. One large group decided to head to Arches and later splintering off into different smaller groups. Me and Mrs. Admiral were very indecisive as we didn't want to get caught in the rain too far away from the safety and most importantly, the dryness of camp.

But we went anyway...

...and headed towards Dellenbaugh Tunnel and Secret Spire to see what we could see. Tombstone Butte.

We are riding the Secret Spire trail which has some fun and interesting parts of the trail

Mrs. Admiral doesn't think riding in blow-sand is fun though. Me, I enjoy.

We first ride to Dellenbaugh Tunnel

You have to take a short hike from the parking area to get to the tunnel

View of the canyon on the other side of the tunnel.

Well worth the hike. We ate lunch here on the cliff

After lunch we hit the dusty, errr I mean sandy trail in the direction of Secret Spire via Tombstone Butte. A little slickrock action before reaching the butte

Riding the blow-sand towards the butte. Mrs. Admiral made several derogatory comments about the sand. You may here one of these comments in the video

Secret Spire. The top looks like a human head with the nose on the right side.

Secret Spire/Dellenbaugh Tunnel country

Some nice ATV riders from Colorado took a picture of this lovely couple

Hate to look and run but there are storm clouds off in the distance and we need to head back to camp...pronto

Historic Dubinky Well. Built by the CCC in the 1930's. Even though the storm is closing in on us, we might as well see what we can see.

But wait, there's more. Mrs. Admiral Spots this old homestead ranch just off Dubinky Well road. We gotta go look storm or no storm

Tornado shelter...for us maybe right?

We made it back to camp just before the skies opened up. I think we had two nights with some pretty spectacular thunder and lightening. For the most part we huddled in small groups in campers and shared medicine and riding stories

To be continued Day 4, Part I - The Rusty Nail Incident (The Trifecta - Gold Bar Rim, Golden Spike, and Poison Spider)

·
Registered
13,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The Big Day

Moab 19 Day 4 Gold Bar Rim/Golden Spike/Poison Spider Trifecta Part I - The Rusty Nail Incident

Just after we started my XT200 developed a carb issue but I told everyone to go on without me and I'd swap bikes and catch up to them. Greg came and retrieved me. I swapped back to my TW200. Asked Mrs. Admiral to txt some of the riders to let them know I was on my way. All was going according to plan until...

They say it never rains in Utah. I have my doubts. Either it rains or a coyote has a big ass bladder.

The Rusty Nail Incident part. So, if you look at the center of the photo, you see what I saw. Apparently, there's this little ol' sign off to the left...that I missed. Oops!

Doesn't look familiar...at all! I come to this little gem and starting to think I may be on the wrong trail

Had to wait for a herd of Jeeps to go by. They wave but have absolutely no courtesy to ask me if I know where I'm headed. They let me proceed without mentioning a thing. Dang Jeepers!

Houston, we have a problem. I definitely do not recognize this place. I breakout the trusty GPS/Map stuff and lo-and-behold, I discover I'm solo on the Rusty Nail.

So I turn around and backtrack 'till I find the error of my ways. Yup, Gold Bar Rim is where it's at. It's also at this point I get a txt from mobile fleet headquarters that Mrs. Admiral has successfully contacted the lead patrol informing them I'm on my way.

I also got a txt from Fred and ejfranz letting me know they were waiting for me at the "Waterfall". I was worried I'd have to negotiate this obstacle on my own if I didn't catch up to the group in time.

Sort for sore eyes...and muscles...and bones... I was so glad to see the boys and am extremely thankful they waited for me. ...and waited for me here. Thanks for waiting guys!

To be continued in Moab 19 Day 4 GBR-GS-PS Part II- Waterfall to Golden Crack

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
The next time you are in Moab, you need to complete the Rusty Nail. Jeff and I will take you ;).

1 - 20 of 76 Posts